User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    Why panicking?
    Because the fear of not doing something with myself has been put into me by others in my life growing up. I severely doubt it would be a fear of my own if others werent there to constantly remind and hound me about it.

But basically the fear is that I wont do anything with my life, wont be successful in a conventional sense, or even an unconventional sense. From time to time that kind of indoctrination can make you panic very intensely, especially if you are prone to losing track of time and progression as I am.

I'm all up for progress, evolution, upgrades, updates, improvements, advancements, augmentation, development.
    Im talking about the personal progress of an individual. Developments in general are fine by my book, I just fail to produce my own, or at least garner the enthusiasm to try and produce my own.

Is this a niche of satisfaction, or did I misunderstood you: getting up at exactly 6am, doing exactly the same things: kiss your wife, make coffee, say hi to your children, etc., every morning, go to work and be there at exactly 8:01am, go back home, have exactly the same, routinely set, dinner, watch something somewhat predictable on TV, have sex, go to bed. Sometimes, throughout the year, you have your family and friends over for various celebrations, but still - it's the same routine, except it repeats itself every year instead of every month, week or day. Or do you mean a bit less routine, but generally the same thing (different food, different pair of shoes, sometimes friends come unpredictably, etc.)? Whichever is the case, it's still routine, and for me - it would be absolutely unenjoyable.
    Yeah you misunderstood me a little, I never said anything about routine, just something that you enjoy which makes you happy.

About that particular guy, he really seemed like he doesn't care about anything. He's okay with living with his parents, even though one of them doesn't have a job, smoke weed, have the same computer, no car, etc.. He doesn't want that, he wants to "just smoke weed." The rest seems to be immediate wishes, something that comes and goes. He may want a car for 20 minutes when he's high, the other day or in half an hour, he doesn't anymore.
    Sounds a little like me in many ways, I often have sudden ambitions, (albeit a bit grander than 'I want a car'), but then they are gone a few minutes later. What type would you say your friend was? Im going to be a stereotypologist and guess maybe an SP type?

Potential is lost when someone isn't doing something they would be good at, therefore, there's more lost potential than if you were trying to do something and failed at it.
    No my point was I was trying to show you why someone like me would be that way, in my own personalised terms. I can see the inconconsistancy in what I said about potential though.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Maybe, they don't think the sacrifice is worth it.
    What's the sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    There are people who will claim to not want anything when deep down they have just as many wants as everyone else. Unhealthy enneagram type 2s can be like this. They deny that they have their own needs while taking care of everyone else's.
    What if they don't care about anybody else's needs?

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Im talking about the personal progress of an individual. Developments in general are fine by my book, I just fail to produce my own, or at least garner the enthusiasm to try and produce my own.
    Me too.

Yeah you misunderstood me a little, I never said anything about routine, just something that you enjoy which makes you happy.
    That something you find enjoying becomes routine after a while.

Sounds a little like me in many ways, I often have sudden ambitions, (albeit a bit grander than 'I want a car'), but then they are gone a few minutes later. What type would you say your friend was? Im going to be a stereotypologist and guess maybe an SP type?
    I think he is an ESFP, or ESTP, however the latter would mean that he takes up long "projects," which he doesn't. He doesn't care about taking them up... He can play some game to develop his character fast and then drop it, but he will still go to bed, eat, etc.. As far I'm concerned, ESTPs may work 48 hours or more without sleeping in such case.

What's the sacrifice?
    Do you believe that the things we pursue in life have a price? If so, what happens when you pay more than you can afford for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Do you believe that the things we pursue in life have a price? If so, what happens when you pay more than you can afford for something?
    A price... I'm not sure what you mean by price. Do you mean that everything costs something else? If so, it's a stupid logic, unless that something else can be as simple as time.

If you payed for something, you could have afforded it. If you couldn't have afforded it, you wouldn't have had a way to pay for it. (I think my grammar here isn't right, anybody's up for correcting me?)

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I hope to get some answers from exactly those people, and I bet there are such around here.

I had this friend: he always used to tell me that he doesn't want anything, especially as he was getting older. When he was younger, he used to drink a lot, smoke a lot, as he was going by the "we live only once" logic, while later he decided to set on the, kind of gangster-like, "smoke weed and do absolutely nothing" kind of life. He doesn't seem to care if it's with his friends or not, although he'd much prefer it with friends. Otherwise he plays poker or some easy-going video game, however in the end - his goal is to smoke weed, as much as possible, every day. No job, no school, just living with his parents and not caring about much.

I could never understand this guy. We were discussing why he doesn't want anything, he couldn't answer, even thought about it, but couldn't answer. I haven't seen him for a year or two, when he got even more "like that."

P.S. Not looking for any info about me or my ex-friend, I'm looking for general thoughts about such behavior. Especially from those who think the same.
    I hear that.

I want stuff, like anyone else but, it's stuff I could live with out, even though I really want them before I die, like a Bucket List, like me in a 3 way with 2 sexy black chicks.

Weed isn't a lifestyle, it's a grocery. I don't think weed's a status symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    I hear that.

I want stuff, like anyone else but, it's stuff I could live with out, even though I really want them before I die, like a Bucket List, like me in a 3 way with 2 sexy black chicks.

Weed isn't a lifestyle, it's a grocery. I don't think weed's a status symbol.
    Well... You can live without anything but food, water and air. Even clothes are not needed, depending on the geographical location.

So yea, it seems like you're quite similar to that guy, except for the weed, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Being on the opposite end.. I can say that I have desired a lot of nothing at times. But it is a desire I seem unable to grasp for even a temporary period of time. I dream of it, and think it is within reach, but it is fleeting, like a mirage.

I desire to just bum around... chill out all day, have no agenda, no projects, no obligations.. Just sit back, have nothing to weigh on my mind or busy my hands. I take days off, sure, and decide I won't do anything of merit and just relax and watch movies or something. But a prolonged period of just silence, and solace, and quiet.. I can definitely see why people desire it. I just don't know how they obtain it. I, apparently, have way too many fucks to give, so this goal eludes me.
    We are who we are. An dynamic equanimity is something quite profound. I know of few people who achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Submission of their own needs to those of others

Perception of unrecoverable loss

Belief that their wants are unreachable

Lack of awareness of wants

When Eshun, the Zen nun, was past sixty and about to leave this world, she asked some monks to pile up wood in the yard.

Seating herself firmly in the center of the funeral pyre, she had it set fire around the edges.

"O nun!" shouted one monk, "is it hot in there?"

"Such a matter would concern only a stupid person like yourself," answered Eshun.

The flames arose, and she passed away.
    Interesting contrast there.

I wonder, if I became terminally ill, and was likely have to be kept alive in a near vegetative state with great expense to my loved ones, would I want to go quickly, in the way that I choose, or would I want to pump myself with a chemical cocktail that has a slim chance of a "cure"?

Sadness, to me, is a message for us to let go of something. It is based on a belief that what is lost is not coming back. There are some treasured parts of life that are never coming back... friends, family members (or even pets) dying means we will never have live interactions with them again. We will have memories, lessons, stories...but the new interactions are gone for good. Attempting to bring them back would be cruel to ourselves.

Dreaming the impossible dream, is quite literally to be engaged in fantasy. Perhaps it is a good form of escapism form current affairs...but it the dream is truly impossible, then its...not possible. Impossible things are often impossible because of the way they are defined. Letting go of some nits in these definitions is great way to change the impossible dream to on that is possible.

Depression, even cynicism, often leads to newer deeper perspectives once new hope is discovered. Just because others are uncomfortable during this process, doesn't mean that it is unimportant, invalid, or a waste of time. Sometimes, the loud guy in our head (that continually insists on getting his way) leaving, or even getting kicked out, leaves open the opportunity for transformation.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

The only things I really want are knowledge and wisdom, everything else is a means to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Grublet View Post
    The only things I really want are knowledge and wisdom, everything else is a means to an end.
    And that is why I still don't agree with the majority in the "what is my type" topic.

A price... I'm not sure what you mean by price. Do you mean that everything costs something else? If so, it's a stupid logic, unless that something else can be as simple as time.

If you payed for something, you could have afforded it. If you couldn't have afforded it, you wouldn't have had a way to pay for it. (I think my grammar here isn't right, anybody's up for correcting me?)
    Have you never wanted something, but decided that getting it wouldn't be worth it, for one reason or another?