User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Atheists: do you believe in quarks?

A while ago, I encountered a demotivational poster about atheism. I didn't find it back, though.
    It said something like: "Do you believe in quarks? You didn't see them or prove their existence. So that's faith."

At first, I wanted to make a rebuttal. But, even with eight years of physics education behind me, I couldn't. I have seen atoms and electrons. I've measured radiation. But the strong force is really difficult and, as I didn't choose to specialize in it, I don't know how it works. Well, I know the basics, but not enough to prove, even to myself, that a quark exists.

So I had to ask myself the question: why do I believe in quarks, and not in unicorns? You can call it faith, but to get rid of the religious overlay, I'd choose to call it trust. I believe in quarks because some people have told me about them and I trust those people. Now, of course, why do I trust the quark people and not the unicorn people?

Because the quark people, the scientists, have told me many more things I COULD check and measure. I've spent my whole life being interested in science and measuring things. Because the scientists are the ones who encouraged me to observe and pose hypotheses and experiment and make conclusions. I can't test everything myself, because I don't have the time and money for that. So I do understand the electromagnetic and the weak force in terms of particles like electrons and photons and neutrinos. And when they say "the strong force is just like that, but with quarks and gluons", I tend to believe them. They fit with the other particles. To be really precise: I believe the Standard Model is a good model to predict particle behaviour.

The unicorn people never showed me unicorns, dragons, fairies, ghosts or anything else that would help me believe in unicorns. Worse, they tend to say you have to have faith, that it is a virtue to believe without any evidence.

A last thing. You are free to believe in unicorns. I won't hinder you. BUT.
    1) If you want ME to believe too, you know what you have to do. Evidence, please. No emotional blackmailing.
    2) If some idiot insults the unicorn, you don't start killing random people who have nothing to do with it. Wear a T-shirt with "Proud Unicornist" on it. Insult the quark. But don't riot and destroy and kill because of an idiot.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

existence of quarks is quite a lot of more probable hypothesis than god(as defined in bible) is.

#1 rule of science, there are no absolute truths and nothing can be proven without a doubt, there are just probable hypotheses.

naturally everyones world view is based on beliefs(only a fool would deny that), but what you base these beliefs on is the real difference between religion vs science. whether you look at whats most probable thing with current knowledge or whether you believe because someone told you to believe and not question the belief.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP

Er, that's just my point. Quarks just do fit better in a world of electrons and photons...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I'm not an Athiest...

I'm a Satanist

Hail Satan.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I guess in order to provide an answer this question further, I'd have to ask: Is the existence of quarks a scientific law/fact/whatever at this point or is it still in the theoretical stages? I ask because my knowledge of quarks is that of a layperson
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    I'm not an Athiest...
    I have that same shirt you wear in your avatar.

I got it as a trophy from a christian I battled in theology, ethics, morals and metaphysics for two hours at a fair while being shitfaced.

Sniffles

Faith basically is trust.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Science is trust too but with less emotional attachment.

Its goal is finding the truth instead of possessing the truth.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Science is trust too but with less emotional attachment.

Its goal is finding the truth instead of possessing the truth.
    Sounds like St. Anselm's maxim of "faith seeking understanding."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Science seeks to verify reality through repeatable experimentation. I would not call this a pursuit of truth, which is a moral charged term.

'Faith' is what you utilize when your hunches seem true to you, but are unprovable and probably untestable. this condition has nothing to do with the aims of science!