User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Thread: Ask a Buddhist

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

@nanook I live in Thailand, where only about 3% of the population are Christians

"Being" as you described is an interesting way to put it, but you're right in that it sounds less 'accessible' than simply "awareness", so in the beginning I guess I'll stick with awareness for now. I think I get what you mean with 'oneness' and 'suchness' (vaguely right now), but these can be very hard to explain so I'll keep thinking until it's clearer in my mind before I try to communicate it to him.

My boyfriend finds zen teachings helpful, so I think he already has some 'leanings'. He hasn't made peace with his disillusionment with Christianity yet, and I think his atheism is more of a reaction than a true belief.

@sprinkles That's very clear and makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    what fascinates me to no end, is that some christians know how to achieve a state of love and stillness (genuine nondual/undivided being) through what they describe as prayer or their love to god or jesus, or their thankfulness. there is something relevant to respecting all three faces of god. (I AM NESS, YOU beloved, and IT - the suchness of the Machina). christians own the secret of accessing god through the path of the second person perspective.
    I think this is true -- in a way, by surrendering to God completely, there is no room left for their own ego.

I might be crazy, but I want to believe that all religions ultimately want to help people reach that 'space' of peacefulness, but do so in different ways and through different words.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I think this is true -- in a way, by surrendering to God completely, there is no room left for their own ego.

I might be crazy, but I want to believe that all religions ultimately want to help people reach that 'space' of peacefulness, but do so in different ways and through different words.
    Yes that's how I think it works.

Someone gets a rare epiphany and others want a part of it. So they regard this person as a prophet, and write down their words in a book. But the words and the underlying spirit of the words become separated. The words and the book become sacred - people become rigid and uncreative because they have their instruction manual, but they have lost the point because they only follow the sacred book by rote, without true insight to what it means.

They regard the book and words as sacred and lose the actual reality behind the words. They revere the Sacred Book and no harm must come to it.

But they don't realize that what was not written in the book is that there comes a time when one must burn the book.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yes that's how I think it works.

Someone gets a rare epiphany and others want a part of it. So they regard this person as a prophet, and write down their words in a book. But the words and the underlying spirit of the words become separated. The words and the book become sacred - people become rigid and uncreative because they have their instruction manual, but they have lost the point because they only follow the sacred book by rote, without true insight to what it means.

They regard the book and words as sacred and lose the actual reality behind the words. They revere the Sacred Book and no harm must come to it.

But they don't realize that what was not written in the book is that there comes a time when one must burn the book.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

The problem is that almost all religions were created thousands of years before the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries. And as the Enlightenment gave us the modern world, most religions find themselves out of place.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that almost all religions were created thousands of years before the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries. And as the Enlightenment gave us the modern world, most religions find themselves out of place.
    I agree if you're talking about religions as in 'organized religions'. I think spirituality is a different matter, and humans two thousand years ago are as capable of spiritual enlightenment as we are nowadays.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    That is just not the truth. Read this book: http://www.newstatesman.com/books/20...n-modern-world

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I agree if you're talking about religions as in 'organized religions'. I think spirituality is a different matter, and humans two thousand years ago are as capable of spiritual enlightenment as we are nowadays.
    The Enlightenment of 17th and !8th centuries was not a spiritual enlightenment, rather it was based on evidence and reason.

Evidence and Reason and the Suspension of Disbelief

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    That is just not the truth. Read this book: http://www.newstatesman.com/books/20...n-modern-world
    I find it hard to think of even one religion that is based on evidence and reason. In fact every religion I can think of is based on the suspension of disbelief.

And indeed, look around you, even mbti is based on the suspension of disbelief.

Meanwhile, Aung San Suu Kyi, a Buddhist, and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, refuses to condemn her fellow Burmese Buddhists as they continue to murder, torture, burn down whole villages and drive Burmese Muslims out of Burma.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    If I am to avoid attachment, doesn't that mean that I avoid friendship, camaraderie, love? Isn't attachment what binds people, even if it is temporary?

Isn't karma a way to blame the victim?

I Agree- avoid attachment is avoiding love but karma is not a way to blame the victim. Karma is attracting or binding series of events that leads to either bad or good results.