User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ask a Buddhist

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Were you born buddhist?

I was not. Perhaps Christian if anything, though it wasn't really reinforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What is best in life?

Good times. =P

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    I know you didn't ask me but I'd say the answer is yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    If I am to avoid attachment, doesn't that mean that I avoid friendship, camaraderie, love? Isn't attachment what binds people, even if it is temporary?

Isn't karma a way to blame the victim?

I used to think not developing attachment meant the things you both are stating. Recently though, I've kind of come to a new understanding, with that quote I directed at Raptorwizard (which I had just read upon creating this thread, btw, my 'inspiration' of sorts).

It states that when you know something to be good, accept it. When you know something to be bad, reject it.

I think developing non-attachment to universe stems more towards you being yourself independently than anything. To have friends - but know they are not you and they cannot be thought so, to have possessions but know you are not defined by them, to hold ideals but not let them cloud your judgement... stuff like that. Accepting reality for what it is apart from what you want it to be.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I used to think not developing attachment meant the things you both are stating. Recently though, I've kind of come to a new understanding, with that quote I directed at Raptorwizard (which I had just read upon creating this thread, btw, my 'inspiration' of sorts).

It states that when you know something to be good, accept it. When you know something to be bad, reject it.

I think developing non-attachment to universe stems more towards you being yourself independently than anything. To have friends - but know they are not you and they cannot be thought so, to have possessions but know you are not defined by them, to hold ideals but not let them cloud your judgement... stuff like that. Accepting reality for what it is apart from what you want it to be.
    But to stand alone in front of the vastness of existence, without anything outside of ourselves to hold on to, isn't it rather scary?

btw which branch of Buddhism do you subscribe to?
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    INFJ

Lack of attachment is not always a separation.

Do you have to throw away everything and go live on a mountain?

The answer to that, IMO, is "not really"

If you throw away everything and go live on a mountain, and you do it for the wrong reasons, that can still be attachment.

WALMART

@ sprinkles yes, well put. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    But to stand alone in front of the vastness of existence, without anything outside of ourselves to hold on to, isn't it rather scary?

btw which branch of Buddhism do you subscribe to?

I find leaning against unsound railing to be equally scary =P

I'd be lying if I said I wish to stand alone forever. One thing I can find myself willingly giving myself to is my partner, and then my children.

I've read of several branches, but I don't think I'm well versed enough in them to quite 'decide'.... I'm not really knowledgeable of Buddhism, I made this thread for me to learn as much as anyone. The book I'm reading (George Braziller, chronicaler of all the world religions) will eventually get that, but for now it's mostly dealing with the history and core ideology and stuff.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Question 1: Please describe to me the process of reaching Nirvana.

Question 2: I heard that there are Buddhist forms of hell, but they only are temporary and you only go to it for a temporary period of time, unlike the Christian Hell. Please describe to me how this works.

Sniffles

Why Buddhism?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

What are your feelings on Taoism?
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Question 1: Please describe to me the process of reaching Nirvana.

Question 2: I heard that there are Buddhist forms of hell, but they only are temporary and you only go to it for a temporary period of time, unlike the Christian Hell. Please describe to me how this works.

Question 1:

There is no one manner, some are even convinced one can reach Nirvana under their own personal discourse,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhis..._to_liberation

But I am most fond of the four noble truths:

1) "This is the noble truth of dukkha: birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, illness is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair are dukkha; union with what is displeasing is dukkha; separation from what is pleasing is dukkha; not to get what one wants is dukkha; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are dukkha."
    2) "This is the noble truth of the origin of dukkha: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there, that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination."
    3) "This is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: it is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, nonreliance on it."
    4) "This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of dukkha: it is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration."

Which leads to the eightfold path:

1) Right View
    2) Right Intention
    3) Right Speech
    4) Right Action
    5) Right Livelihood
    6) Right Effort
    7) Right Mindfulness
    8) Right Concentration

It is a path of procedural advancement, starting at the mind, leading to the body, ending at Nirvana.

Question 2:

This is an area of study I have not ventured to beyond dabble. I believe I will find it metaphorical when I do get around to it, though.

I do know they are areas of lower stature beings using their karmic energy in a constructive manner, so can they can be birthed into neutrality again. Like Dante's Circles of Hell, there are varying degrees of Naraka, some where you are simply out in the cold naked and some where you are entombed in a block of heated metal. I do not know why and for what reasons you go to where.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

What's your stance on reincarnation?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari