User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1 sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I think religion is dying only in certain parts of the world, and in other parts of the world it's staying the same or increasing. For example, I think Islam is growing. . .not believing or adhering to the religion or Sharia Law is punishable by law in some countries. In the USA, I think religion is starting to die since it seems there's a growing number of Atheists compared to a couple of generations ago. However, for the amount of religion that still exists here, I think it's more diverse in the sense of the number of religions that we have here now, including non-Christian faiths.

I think religion may be dying out in parts of Europe, but I'm not sure overall. I do think that culture influences this because in some countries the religion is still the law. I do think that my culture plays a role in reaching my conclusion because being in the USA, I'm free to explore and adopt any religious beliefs I want, or none at all. In some countries, such as some in the Middle-East, I would guess that they may not feel that religion is dying because it's still around them everywhere they look, even being able to hear the prayers being played/announced from mosques five times per day. I'm not sure whether it's possible to separate religion in culture in countries like that since religion pretty much is the culture to a large degree. Overall, I'd say that religion isn't dying universally though, but perhaps it is in the western world.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower_Moon View Post
    I think religion is dying only in certain parts of the world, and in other parts of the world it's staying the same or increasing. For example, I think Islam is growing. . .not believing or adhering to the religion or Sharia Law is punishable by law in some countries. In the USA, I think religion is starting to die since it seems there's a growing number of Atheists compared to a couple of generations ago. However, for the amount of religion that still exists here, I think it's more diverse in the sense of the number of religions that we have here now, including non-Christian faiths.

I think religion may be dying out in parts of Europe, but I'm not sure overall. I do think that culture influences this because in some countries the religion is still the law. I do think that my culture plays a role in reaching my conclusion because being in the USA, I'm free to explore and adopt any religious beliefs I want, or none at all. In some countries, such as some in the Middle-East, I would guess that they may not feel that religion is dying because it's still around them everywhere they look, even being able to hear the prayers being played/announced from mosques five times per day. I'm not sure whether it's possible to separate religion in culture in countries like that since religion pretty much is the culture to a large degree. Overall, I'd say that religion isn't dying universally though, but perhaps it is in the western world.
    Yeah I thought about that. I would say a certain emphasis on religion is growing in certain places, but I am not really sure whether the strenght of practice is. Maybe the strength of forced practice in some places, like those that practice islam might be increasing~ but once outside influence is gone I believe that the growth might just end up being temporary.

As the world gets larger and more interconnected, what is available might cause people to individualize a bit more~to explore. They might be able to look and see that hey, buddhism seems to make a good amount of sense to me, maybe I will try aspects of that out. Cherry picking might become more common, where hard individual distinctions between religions might start to become a bit more smudged.

Laws change with time and curcumstance. Though there are general laws that I believe will always be upheld, murder-the likes, acceptability will change too much to withstand a particular set of consistant guidelines. Much in the way of religion. Times change too often for the specifics needed for a religion.
    Likes Sunflower_Moon liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It is dead. And we have killed it.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    It is dead. And we have killed it.
    I dont remember posting this thread.

I believe this is correct.

I spoke with someone lately who was a born again christian, consequently some major differences to myself, although it impressed upon me how little religion matters to most people and how little it influences anyones thinking or actions on a day to day basis. So far as a sociological and normative force goes, which I dont even believe is the primary purpose of religion throughout human history, its a dead duck too. As a political force I think its spent too, there isnt any Fremen coming out of the framework for a Butlerian Jihad any time soon.

Although what I find most concerning is that there is nothing in the place of religion to channel or meet the human needs which religion once addressed.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Religion will never die. When we go to a sports game or watch a show on t.v. we worship, wether conciously or not is irrelevant.

Wars death and killings have always been over economics and as an objective rule never religion.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

Where there is poverty, war, destruction and crime religion will flourish.

Where there is wealth, peace, growth and security philosophies will flourish.
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Wars death and killings have always been over economics and as an objective rule never religion.
    Yes, people think some conflicts are about religion, but they really aren't about religion at all. Religion is the tool people use to justify the conflict, but not the cause of the conflict. A religious text or tradition is full of contradictions, typically, so what is interesting to see with regards to a religious person is what parts they choose to follow. This is really the relevant question.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Passacaglia, GarrotTheThief liked this post

Maybe. But there's certainly an element to it, that science cannot reach with. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing. Regardless if it's true or false, I believe it can curb someone's angers or passions. The less religion there is, the more people will have to rely on intellect to get by in this world, I don't see that as necessarily a good thing either.

It won't die. It'll change names is all.