User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    471 sx/sp

I think religiosity comes and goes in cycles.

Across the world religion is growing.

And it is growing in countries whose spoken culture is the content of the electronic culture.

However in countries where whose literate culture is the content of the electronic culture, religion is dying, the churches are emptying, and in the census more and more say they have no religion.

Interestingly everyone here comes from a literate culture that is now the content of the electronic culture, and so being parochial and culture bound, it seems to us religion is dying, when in fact religion is growing in leaps and bounds across the globe.

Society

specific religions might die, be born, change, split, etc', but religion in general will probably never die.

i think folk religions are struggling due to globalization as they have being since the early colonization days, but one can only hope that at some point we'll go back to spreading as a species again (you know, for long-term survival & crap), and then the trend towards folk religions and splinter religions is likely to grow. before you know it there's a group of martian muslims that believe god brought abraham to mars to scalp the giant face, and that the stone of mecca is only a fragment of it.

then there's philosophical changes. right now monotheism is loosing philosophical grounds as a "needed explanation", i think a strong argument for monotheism and deities is the simulation probability principle, you know, the whole "if every universe can have an absurdly huge number of simulated universes within it, any given universe is more likely to be a simulated one then a real one". at the core of that argument there is a suggested designer, a divine server admin.. that might sound a bit off whack right now, but would it sound the same for generations growing up with functional VR (you know, better then WoW)? this in turn creates a metaphysical reality to speculate on, a "real reality" around us. you can even combine it with a belief of chosen people, and claim that while some of us are actual beings from the outside universe with "souls", most are merely zombies, simulated beings made to behave sentient. dangerous belief but its certainly one people might adopt.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    specific religions might die, be born, change, split, etc', but religion in general will probably never die.

i think folk religions are struggling due to globalization as they have being since the early colonization days, but one can only hope that at some point we'll go back to spreading as a species again (you know, for long-term survival & crap), and then the trend towards folk religions and splinter religions is likely to grow. before you know it there's a group of martian muslims that believe god brought abraham to mars to scalp the giant face, and that the stone of mecca is only a fragment of it.

then there's philosophical changes. right now monotheism is loosing philosophical grounds as a "needed explanation", i think a strong argument for monotheism and deities is the simulation probability principle, you know, the whole "if every universe can have an absurdly huge number of simulated universes within it, any given universe is more likely to be a simulated one then a real one". at the core of that argument there is a suggested designer, a divine server admin.. that might sound a bit off whack right now, but would it sound the same for generations growing up with functional VR (you know, better then WoW)? this in turn creates a metaphysical reality to speculate on, a "real reality" around us. you can even combine it with a belief of chosen people, and claim that while some of us are actual beings from the outside universe with "souls", most are merely zombies, simulated beings made to behave sentient. dangerous belief but its certainly one people might adopt.
    I think a single "why" does suffice already when someone says there is only one religion or one God. Since all religions are build on assumptions, they all lack proof of any kind.

But I agree with what you said
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Society

another possibility comes to mind:

here, i have explained how scientific understanding does in fact pose a threat to the religious mindset. from that explanation, one could understand that with further understanding and more widespread education of scientific knowledge, monotheism as we know it would in fact be on the decline.

but the exact same situation can also lead to a rise in spirituality, by increasing the tension within the Fermi paradox. by trivializing bio-genesis, the diversification of life and even the rise of sentience, we create a rising expectation of finding it elsewhere.

the more we trivialize the origin of life the more places we can imagine it happening, and the more we progress the more places we could find them happening... so what happens each and every year that we don't? our solar system has no proof of being colonized by aliens, our interstellar neighborhood shows no proof of radio utilizing civilizations, mars and titan provide no sign of biochemical processes, what happens when Europa has no life, when spectrum analysis of more and more Goldilocks zoned planets show no signs of biochemical processes, when we can detect not only planets but also smaller objects in other solar systems and yet see no touch of civilizations anywhere?

within this period - between understanding life and finding life elsewhere - explanation to the fermi paradox would have of increasing value and could very well become the next source of religions and domgas.

MBTI
    INFP

God-centered religion needs to die but will live on like a virus :\

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I would say that "religion" defined as BOTH something "civic" AND something "spiritual" has been declining. It would appear to me that wiccans, pagans, (western practitioners of) Buddhism, Taoism, chakra, yogi, etc are all very into the spiritual aspects of their religions, but have for better or worse conveniently left the civic portions of their faith in the history books. Thus these people have a very private, almost a secrative nature to their practice.

Catholics, Mormons and Muslims would appear to still have thriving "civic" aspects of their religions. Given their high birth rates, we could definitely be back to civic religions in 200 years. Currently, your "run of the mill" Christian has been less dominating of civic life and when this combines with the private nature of the modern day pagan/eastern it creates an image of religious decline.

Disclaimer: I should note that almost all religions have both civic as well as mystic aspects. Christians, Jews, and Islamists definitively have Gnostic, kaballic, mystic etc sects ...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    God-centered religion needs to die but will live on like a virus :\
    What and why is the need?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

As a source of both individual moral conscience, individual regulation and social regulation religion has just about had it.

That said there is no alternative, no better one anyway, so perhaps it will just make a resurgence at some point.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Religion is becoming less of a staple in many cultures I believe. More has been introduced, life has become more complicated, and people are shedding the strict categories of their religion. I would think that it would follow a similar pattern in the future.