User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Sympathy and Respect: Defining Definitions

Thread split from here.

The problem seems to be that many of these threads turn into petty semantics because everyone has their own definition....

That is why I would like to see people adhere to a definition instead of just making up their own.

Nothing bugs me more than seeing someone who is clearly intolerant justify their intolerance by arguing their own personalized definition of tolerance.

This from the man who thinks the meaning of the word sympathy equals tolerance and respect?

I think the dictionary definitions of words suffice.
    Last edited by cafe; 06-01-2008 at 12:52 PM.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    This from the man who thinks sympathy equals tolerance and respect?

I think the dictionary definitions of words suffice.
    I provided dictionary definitions and you argued against my dictionary definitions with your own personal definition. Do I need to go find the actual posts in question and point out to you how I posted definitions directly from Princeton?

Seriously, nothing pisses me off more than when you go through the trouble of actually posting the definition and people simply ignore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I provided dictionary definitions and you argued against my dictionary definitions with your own personal definition. Do I need to go find the actual posts in question and point out to you how I posted definitions directly from Princeton?

Seriously, nothing pisses me off more than when you go through the trouble of actually posting the definition and people simply ignore it.
    I know just what you mean.

Long post where I explain that while I can feel sympathy for those who engage in behavors I see as harmful to others, I cannot tolerate their actions.

Well it seems we have come to a shaky consensus then. We both agree that we can tolerate people who do bad things, but we can't tolerate the bad things they do. We just have different approaches to coming to that conclusion.

Just to be clear:

When I say sympathy, I mean definition 2. B. here.

I don't mean any of this definition of tolerate.

Meh, semantics. Sympathy is respect.
    Sympathy is not respect! :steam:

MBTI
    OMNi

I know just what you mean.
    Funny how you posted that out of context. Especially since I provided the defintion I got from Princeton a couple pages back.

Tolerance: willingness to recognize and respect the beliefs or practices of others and a disposition to allow freedom of choice and behavior

heart on fire

Funny how you posted that out of context. Especially since I provided the defintion I got from Princeton a couple pages back.
    When did I dispute your definition of tolerance? I said I do not and will not condone or tolerate behaviors that I believe to be harmful to others. You attempted to drag the issue of education and sympathy into the issue of tolerance. One can sympathize with someone and learn about them and still not tolerate what they do. Sympathy is not respect.

MBTI
    OMNi

When did I dispute your definition of tolerance? I said I do not and will not condone or tolerate behaviors that I believe to be harmful to others. You attempted to drag the issue of education and sympathy into the issue of tolerance. One can sympathize with someone and learn about them and still not tolerate what they do. Sympathy is not respect.
    I posted the definitions of sympathy and respect from Princeton as well.

Respect: deference: courteous regard for people's feelings

Sympathy: sharing the feelings of others

Sound pretty much the same to me.
    And what does any of this have to do with to do with this thread? This thread was meant to settle on a definition of tolerance and freedom, to which I pulled definitions from the internet. Do I need to add the definitions of sympathy and respect as well?

heart on fire

And what does any of this have to do with to do with this thread?
    It means that you attempt to make your own definitions as well when it suits your cause. Why should Princeton have a different definition for sympathy than websters or any other dictionary? Sympathy is not respect. One need not have tolerance or reverence for things they have sympathy/pity for.

MBTI
    OMNi

It means that you attempt to make your own definitions as well when it suits your cause. Why should Princeton have a different definition for sympathy than websters or any other dictionary? Sympathy is not respect.
    Last definition in nouns
    WordNet Search - 3.0

Second definition in nouns
    WordNet Search - 3.0

Indeed. Why should there be more than one? Why can't we settle on one?

I didn't make up shit. I took my deifntions straight from Princeton. I would thank you to keep your unsupported judgments to yourself.

heart on fire

Last definition in nouns
    WordNet Search - 3.0

Second definition in nouns
    WordNet Search - 3.0

Indeed. Why should there be more than one? Why can't we settle on one?

I didn't make up shit. I took my deifntions straight from Princeton. I would thank you to keep your unsupported judgments to yourself.
    I made clear which definitions I meant when I said the word sympathy. You are being intolerant of my personal choice, which is not very relativist of you.

heart on fire

S: (n) deference, respect, respectfulness (courteous regard for people's feelings) "in deference to your wishes"; "out of respect for his privacy"

S: (n) sympathy, fellow feeling (sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow or anguish))

Okay, there are your choices. Having deference is not the same as sharing! Explain how these choices justify sympathy equals respect.