User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you think its determined by your childhood? So if you've been rich but started out poor do you remain "cheap"? Either because you value it too much or enjoy being rich too much?
    My siblings and I grew up dirt poor but it affected us in different ways. In my case, yes I did remain cheap. I was a scavenger back then and I still am. I never think of money as something to waste on luxuries, I think of it as something to add to the big pile. The way I live now is hardly any different from when I was poor, except that if I really need something I can buy it. If I really, really need it and I can't make it myself or find it in somebody's garbage.

That being said, I'm not averse to spending great fistfuls of cash on things that are guaranteed to improve my life. That's the whole point of saving it, so it'll be there when a good opportunity comes along.

ReflecTcelfeR

I appreciate the money I earn. I do enjoy spending it as that is the purpose of having it, but I do fear being broke so I try to be as wise as possible. I am far too generous for the amount of money I earn, but it is one of the ways I show my appreciation for people. I need to learn how to be a craftsmen.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you think its determined by your childhood? So if you've been rich but started out poor do you remain "cheap"? Either because you value it too much or enjoy being rich too much?
    I think it's influenced by your childhood but not determined by your childhood. In other words, your childhood experiences do not serve as the only deciding factor. Regardless of cheapness or extravagance, people tend to develop responsibility for their monetary life on the basis of their background in mathematics. Responsible expenditures large and small are always premeditated through some sort of cost-benefit analysis. Anything else is the psychological equivalent of stealing.

Furthermore, if one is a big spending rich person, their expenditures often lead to a cumulative upkeep that, when tallied, may be divided evenly by a slim budget, leading to a sense of financial responsibility equal to that of an individual with less money.

garbage

I think that money is important enough that the relationship one has with it during childhood will profoundly affect the relationship with it as an adult.

My parents grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and were fortunate enough to escape when I was growing up. My mom essentially taught my dad how to control finances and to save money.

My mom still doesn't like to spend money, but my dad doesn't care.

I used to be a penny-pincher, but I relaxed quite a bit over time. I'm thankful that I don't have extravagant tastes, because I manage to meet all of my needs and live comfortably. I've grown out of feeling guilty about spending money, but I've never swung toward spending irresponsibly.

I treat money as a tool to provide flexibility. Some people enjoy managing it--whether in the form of coupons, stocks, or portfolios--but I personally don't. I just want to make money and then not have to worry about things. If I had it my way, I'd rather not mess with retirement accounts and things of that nature; I'd make enough now that I don't have to mess with managing it.

I can't complain, though--the fiancee's from a developing country and so has learned harsher lessons than I have. We've wound up in about the same spot in our relationship to money.