• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Budd Dwyer : Hey Man Nice Shot

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Filter said:
I wish I would've met you
Now its a little late
What you could've taught me
I could've saved some face
They think that your early ending
Was all wrong
For the most part they're right
But look how they all got strong
Thats why I say hey man nice shot
What a good shot man
A man
Has gun
Hey man
Have fun
Nice shot
Now that the smokes gone
And the air is all clear
Those who were right there
Got a new kind of fear
You'd fight and you were right
But they were just to strong
They'd stick it in your face
And let you smell what they consider wrong
Thats why I say hey man nice, nice shot
What a good shot man
A man
Has gun
Hey man
Have fun
Nice shot
I'd say
Nice shot
A song about the persecution and suicide of Budd Dwyer.

The question is :- Is suicide ever a justified response? Is there a point where such sacrifice is noble and no longer merely an easy escape?

Oh and general discussion over the event would be cool too as I know little about it myself, I'm only just finding out about it now.

Last edited:

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
The question is :- Is suicide ever a justified response? Is there a point where such sacrifice is noble and no longer merely an easy escape?

We're all on our way out. It may offend our sensibilities to hasten the process, but that doesnt mean people don't have the right to act in accordance with their will.

Some see it as free will. Some see it as being held hostage by a chemical imbalance, and therefore clouding 'true' judgement.

As an observer, I think my only responsibility is accepting those around me, and trying to affect their lives in the best way possible. That may never be enough - who knows? You can't quantify this shit.

I don't think words like 'sacrifice' and 'noble' help much, though - they tend to obscure.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
We're all on our way out. It may offend our sensibilities to hasten the process, but that doesnt mean people don't have the right to act in accordance with their will.

Some see it as free will. Some see it as being held hostage by a chemical imbalance, and therefore clouding 'true' judgement.

As an observer, I think my only responsibility is accepting those around me, and trying to affect their lives in the best way possible. That may never be enough - who knows? You can't quantify this shit.

I don't think words like 'sacrifice' and 'noble' help much, though - they tend to obscure.
Obscure what? If someone gives something up with the intention of benefiting others then what else do you call it?

There is of course the factor of people misinterpreting such things and emulating without understanding but hell in an age of handguns and power tools what's the difference? Stupid is as stupid does.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Obscure what? If someone gives something up with the intention of benefiting others then what else do you call it?

There is of course the factor of people misinterpreting such things and emulating without understanding but hell in an age of handguns and power tools what's the difference? Stupid is as stupid does.

How is suicide sacrificial, in the sense of how we normally view sacrifice? Most suicide is because people are messed up in the head and want to end their own misery. I think it bears repeating I don't harbour any particular judgement against those who commit suicide, but I think ascribing the act certain values just to legitimize it is somehow false.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
How is suicide sacrificial, in the sense of how we normally view sacrifice?
You mean cause there's no burden to bear for the individual doing the act then it's not sacrifice? I can see the logic (you'd have got on well with my mother ;) ) but in certain situations there's nothing more you can give. Also the burden may not be suffered after the act but I'd reckon it most certainly is leading up to it. It's not like most people just go "Aha I have an idea" and jump off a building (judicious use of sarcasm).
Most suicide is because people are messed up in the head and want to end their own misery.
That's not sacrifice though is it. That's "taking the easy way out" (as my mother put it once).
I think ascribing the act certain values just to legitimize it is somehow false.
Regardless of whether those values justify it or not they are the motivating factors. It seems quite capricious to say (as society does [ie not you personally]) that killing someone can be reasoned as a good act for all concerned but killing yourself is never the correct course of action. I fear that with such reasoning you could strip many medals from war heroes as their acts can be reasoned as suicidal and their survival as mere chance. (I know I'm pushing this down a semi slippery slope but I think that certain caveats need to be established.)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Calling anything "noble" or a "sacrifice" is making a value-based judgment about the action.
There is no objectivity involved in suicide though so I think such words are well chosen.

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Most suicide is because people are messed up in the head and want to end their own misery.

That's not sacrifice though is it.

Indeed, that's my whole point.

I don't understand how you're structuring suicide as a sacrificial act, because I think under most circumstances suicide is an escape, and therefore is a freeing act.

(and therein lies the mess, religious views aside; the 'victim' has achieved their good at the expense of those who are left behind. The latter feel that a wrong has been committed against them and the potentiality of life for the victim, yet realize the victim's consent means they have no say on the morality of the action.)

Regardless of whether those values justify it or not they are the motivating factors. It seems quite capricious to say (as society does [ie not you personally]) that killing someone can be reasoned as a good act for all concerned but killing yourself is never the correct course of action. I fear that with such reasoning you could strip many medals from war heroes as their acts can be reasoned as suicidal and their survival as mere chance. (I know I'm pushing this down a semi slippery slope but I think that certain caveats need to be established.)

I wouldn't consciously disagree.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Indeed, that's my whole point.

I don't understand how you're structuring suicide as a sacrificial act, because I think under most circumstances suicide is an escape, and therefore is a freeing act.
Did you read the quoted wikipedia article? I think that case in particular shows how the act can be defined as sacrificing.
(and therein lies the mess, religious views aside; the 'victim' has achieved their good at the expense of those who are left behind. The latter feel that a wrong has been committed against them and the potentiality of life for the victim, yet realize the victim's consent means they have no say on the morality of the action.)
Exactly. I think that a good portion of all the outrage is more to do with the lack of control people feel than any firm objection which isn't entirely self centred.
I wouldn't consciously disagree.
*whispers* Which bit?

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Did you read the quoted wikipedia article? I think that case in particular shows how the act can be defined as sacrificing.

Guiltily, no. I was responding on general terms.

*whispers* Which bit?

This bit:

(And note that I didn't necessarily agree - I probably wouldn't advance this view myself under any circumstances, but I can't say I think it's wrong, either.)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Guiltily, no. I was responding on general terms.
Ah well in that case lies the inspiration. Personally I think the guy was honourable in his act. There's probably lots more examples especially in Japanese history.
(And note that I didn't necessarily agree - I probably wouldn't advance this view myself under any circumstances, but I can't say I think it's wrong, either.)
Yeah I hit that problem and stopped. It's a grey area. I don't think that any hard line can be drawn. It's all too personal.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Dude... Is the title supposed to be "Budd Dwyer : Hey Man Nice Sot" or "Budd Dwyer : Hey Man Nice Shot"?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Dude... Is the title supposed to be "Budd Dwyer : Hey Man Nice Sot" or "Budd Dwyer : Hey Man Nice Shot"?
I could have sworn that the title was correct last time I looked...

:thelook: Okay who's been messin about?

(Yeah it should be shot.)

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Naw, it's been "sot" the whole time. Which was kinda funny, since you were talking about his noble sacrifice and all, but calling him a sot at the same time. Well, a *nice* sot....

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Naw, it's been "sot" the whole time. Which was kinda funny, since you were talking about his noble sacrifice and all, but calling him a sot at the same time. Well, a *nice* sot....
:tongue10:

You should see the clan forum (BF2142 clan). I reckon none of them can spell. Must be rubbing off :(

Just be glad I always get Crowsie right :)