• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moral dilemma - conjoined twin is a murderer

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think you could punish the killer. I would want them to be treated and hopefully their minds could be reconciled. They have to work together and can't be of significantly split mind or else be useless much like a single person who is internally conflicted. Considering their permanent proximity to each other, I would expect them to be very heavily influenced by each other, and in that sense, I tend to want to treat them as a single person.

In some sense, I think the dilemma is a lot like what we really face all the time with people, and with ourselves, insofar as we feel inclined to think of a person as being taken hostage by guilty, hurtful, destructive thinking. It is generous and merciful for us to have that viewpoint ... truthfully I kind of like it, and would rather see people that way. I would rather see myself that way. I think of the irony of people saying things like "now you show your true colors!" when they do something evil, because the opposite may be the truth. People say when they do something they regret, "I was not myself". Their recognition of that tends to more easily inspire our forgiveness if we felt hurt by them, because our forgiveness amounts to the same thought pretty straightforwardly: who they are = that which is innocent.

Good points - and I think the ideal response would also be affected by the killer's opinion of it - remorseful versus not. If they were "not themselves", easier to be forgiving, and to seek gentle justice. If the killer is not remorseful, then it becomes a concern of them being a danger to others.