• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Historicity and Faith

How important is the historical accuracy of religious stories to you?

• Not at all Important

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • A little Important

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat Important

• Very Important

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • It is the foundation of my faith

• Total voters

ygolo

My termites win
This has come up in more than one thread that touches on religion.

For some people, religion is a metaphorical, allegorical set of beliefs that illustrate principles of right action (or at least makes one think about these things on a regular basis). To others, there is some requirement that the religious stories be historically accurate in some sense.

How important is historicity to you, and why does it (not) matter to you as much as it does?

I'll post my own views about this (though I am sure many can already infer) in my next post.

Oh, and I'll just post a poll because they're fun.

ygolo

My termites win
The historical accuracy of religious stories don't matter to me because I regularly deal with people of strong faiths who follow spiritual leaders who are alive and well today.

The evidence given by Luke the physician or Josephus the historian about someone living over 2000 years ago is moot if I am not going to believe the direct, first hand, testimony of my uncle the physician, or the professor I am a teach assistant for about a person living presently and purportedly performing miracles in the present.

Consider the example of Amma (and this is just one example of a currently living miracle worker). Amma's teachings do a lot a good among her disciples. A great many people feel called by her, and very well educated people (doctors, engineers, scientists, business people, some that I know personally, and trust about most things) have attested to being healed in some way by her.

There are allegations of foul play, but her disciples claim that this is a way that people aim to discredit her, and that they experienced her gentle power directly. Her disciples have started hospitals and schools where they were sorely needed. She is widely regarded as a good and wise person.

Does any of this sound familiar to those who want to claim the absolute historicity of everything that happened regarding figures who lived long, long ago? How can one claim to simultaneously reject the miracles of these present day folks, and accept those that happened millennia ago?

I realize in some cases, if you accept one set of miraculous claims and the beliefs that come with it, then all miracles not associated with this belief system are deemed "false" or "from the devil". But consider someone who wasn't brought up to believe these things. What "rational" reason does someone have to believe the miracles of 2000+ years ago and deny the ones happening today?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It matters a lot to me because religious people who claim historicity disingenuously harm the development of many children and I wish they would die.

Mole

Permabanned
GIGO

The search for the historical Jesus is only a recent phenomenon in christianity. And it was when we became literate and literal minded that we even thought to look for the historical Jesus.

So the question reveals a naive bias towards literacy and an unconscious bias against spoken culture.

So if we apply logic to these two bias, we get garbage in, garbage out (GIGO).

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
If we're talking about stories of miracles and the miracles are seen as a 'sign' or justification of the deity and the whole belief system hinges on it, then yes it had better be right.

It's different if it's just parables that give some useful nugget of wisdom, or accuracy is irrelevant, such as Laozi writing the Tao Te Ching and being deified - we don't even know if the man actually existed - it doesn't matter who wrote it because that isn't relevant to the content.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
I can appreciate it. If you start with a perfect example or something to live by being in the past, then absolutely historical accuracy is important because this JUST IS fidelity to that which is to be learned. "Bible" as we use the word just means something like a first reference you can stand on. If the principles of that reference cannot be disentangled from historical detail or the mind of the writers--and as a text in human language it cannot be--then there must be historical accuracy, and the writers must be accurate to the inspiration.

On the one hand I feel that there is enough of a "bible" all around us, in each other, in the works of any number of great minds, and first and foremost, in our own mind, that the Christian Bible isn't important to me and I don't really care what Jesus said or didn't. On the other hand, I sympathize with the draw of HAVING a single reference text in which to tune your thinking, as I have one myself, somewhat despite myself, so I know the feeling of wondering about how the editing process might have altered it, how language use has changed, and other things that might disrupt my ability to receive that same inspiration from which the work was derived.

If one finds an exceptional teacher, it is not a long stretch for a student to give credibility and acceptance to what the teacher says simply because the teacher has said it, with faith that the teacher has suitably derived what he is saying. In some sense you have recruited the teachers mind as an inaccessible provider of your own knowledge and it is understandable to critique a person for not thinking for themselves by adopting and defending things they do not presently have the wherewithal to satisfactorily derive themselves. Yet often just as valuable as the process of coming to know for yourself is simply having the results of what you could come to know to start with and growing into being able to make the connections yourself whereby you could derive them. Insofar as you may make an analogy of the development of human minds out of the industrialization of countries, you can compare the benefits of the following methods: spending 200 years growing your own indigenous industrial revolution without any guidance or influence from those who have gone before you, or you can capitalize on the products of the industrialization of other countries and use them to build your own capacity to back-derive the capacity to now build them yourself in a measly 10 to 20 years. As social beings we will certainly tacitly accept the products of those we think have gone before us. We will quite naturally emulate each other, taking for granted a bit that we ARE authorities on things until our judgment gives us reason to doubt it due to conflicting evidence. One wants a good teacher as a very simple matter of minimizing effort to achieve maximum gain. Spiritual advancement (or just advancement however conceived) of human psychologies seems to come so slowly and with so many wandering paths, anyone would have considerable self-interest in being led well.

Mole

Permabanned
If you start with a perfect example or something to live by

I am getting a bit tired of this 'perfect example', for we only have to read the New Testament to see that Jesus said not one word against institutional slavery, yet he was surrounded by institutional slavery all his life.

We only have to compare Jesus with Spartacus who opposed and fought institutional slavery to see that Jesus chose to remain silent in the face of one of the worst evils of history.

And silence means complicity.

The other perfect example we are told to live by is Mohammed who led 65 five successful battles to spread Islam, and slaughtered Jews with his own hand.

We are told on one hand to imitate the 'perfect example' of Mohammed and spread Islam, and we are told on the other hand that Islam is a religion of peace.

So both of these 'perfect examples' have feet of clay, and they keep tracking dirt into our homes.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm no bible scholar, but I think Jesus covered that in his other teachings, and in his basic Love They Neighbor clause. His word is sparse in the Bible, yet powerful. It's unlikely, in that context, that he would/could address every issue confronting man.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm no bible scholar, but I think Jesus covered that in his other teachings, and in his basic Love They Neighbor clause. His word is sparse in the Bible, yet powerful. It's unlikely, in that context, that he would/could address every issue confronting man.

Institutional slavery was first abolished in human history by the House of Commons in 1833.

The abolition of institutional slavey is the foundation issue of liberal democracy which led to the emancipation of women and the prosecution of child sexual abuse.

So the silence of Jesus extended not only to institutional slavery but to women as chattels and to the sexual abuse of children.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
I am getting a bit tired of this 'perfect example',

"If", Victor, in the sense of a hypothetical. Besides, different people will read the text differently, emphasizing some bits and deemphasizing others according to their psychologies. I don't blame anyone who glosses over the parts you object to ... their constitution is different. There are other things they are there for. They are in a different place. Different messages are more relevant for them, object all you want if you will.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Institutional slavery was first abolished in human history by the House of Commons in 1833.

The abolition of institutional slavey is the foundation issue of liberal democracy which led to the emancipation of women and the prosecution of child sexual abuse.

So the silence of Jesus extended not only to institutional slavery but to women as chattels and to the sexual abuse of children.

Jesus didn't hurt people. People hurt people. People abused children, not Jesus. Jesus loved children and abhorred sexual immorality.

As for slavery, I believe he spoke to treating all people, including slaves, fairly and with respect. So, you see, it really doesn't matter WHO one is, or the condition of their servitude, if you follow his teaching, he provides for all humans being treated well by each other, slave or not.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
This has come up in more than one thread that touches on religion.

For some people, religion is a metaphorical, allegorical set of beliefs that illustrate principles of right action (or at least makes one think about these things on a regular basis). To others, there is some requirement that the religious stories be historically accurate in some sense.

How important is historicity to you, and why does it (not) matter to you as much as it does?

I'll post my own views about this (though I am sure many can already infer) in my next post.

Oh, and I'll just post a poll because they're fun.

History is cosa nostra. Our thing.
Accuracy of the past is not an accuracy of the present.

Mole

Permabanned
As for slavery, I believe he spoke to treating all people, including slaves, fairly and with respect. So, you see, it really doesn't matter WHO one is, or the condition of their servitude, if you follow his teaching, he provides for all humans being treated well by each other, slave or not.

Perhaps you don't know what institutional slavey meant in the time of Jesus. Slave owners had the power of life and death over their slaves, and tortured and killed their slaves with impunity.

Also the slave owners raped their slaves, male, female and children at will and with impunity.

And Jesus kept his silence.

Mole

Permabanned
"If", Victor, in the sense of a hypothetical. Besides, different people will read the text differently, emphasizing some bits and deemphasizing others according to their psychologies. I don't blame anyone who glosses over the parts you object to ... their constitution is different. There are other things they are there for. They are in a different place. Different messages are more relevant for them, object all you want if you will.

It is the very essence of the authoritarian mind to believe Jesus or Mohammed were perfect examples to be followed.

The skeptical mind will be able to see clearly that Jesus and Mohammed were far from perfect and are bad examples for us to follow.

The authoritarian mind enters into a panic when faced with the skeptical mind. And in Islam skeptics are killed, but in the West skeptics are tolerated.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
It is the very essence of the authoritarian mind to believe Jesus or Mohammed were perfect examples to be followed.

And I don't disagree. Spiritual outlook forms a foundation for people to feel there is reason to hope, to trust, to feel internally secure, so of course seeming to disrupt that may upset people. Try to understand people are just doing what they can to bring structure and order to their minds so they can live as empowered, expressive individuals. It's not a stretch for people to band together with the like minded and isolate those who seem to threaten what they have accepted as the reason they can trust other people. Would not who rejects it seem to attack that foundation for their society?

Yes, there are clearly confusions involved there, but I think the skeptical mind does not have to look far to find compassion and understanding for it.