User Tag List

View Poll Results: How important is the historical accuracy of religious stories to you?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all Important

2 50.00%
  • A little Important

0 0%
  • Somewhat Important

0 0%
  • Very Important

2 50.00%
  • It is the foundation of my faith

0 0%
First 12

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Institutional slavery was first abolished in human history by the House of Commons in 1833.

The abolition of institutional slavey is the foundation issue of liberal democracy which led to the emancipation of women and the prosecution of child sexual abuse.

So the silence of Jesus extended not only to institutional slavery but to women as chattels and to the sexual abuse of children.

Jesus didn't hurt people. People hurt people. People abused children, not Jesus. Jesus loved children and abhorred sexual immorality.

As for slavery, I believe he spoke to treating all people, including slaves, fairly and with respect. So, you see, it really doesn't matter WHO one is, or the condition of their servitude, if you follow his teaching, he provides for all humans being treated well by each other, slave or not.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    This has come up in more than one thread that touches on religion.

For some people, religion is a metaphorical, allegorical set of beliefs that illustrate principles of right action (or at least makes one think about these things on a regular basis). To others, there is some requirement that the religious stories be historically accurate in some sense.

How important is historicity to you, and why does it (not) matter to you as much as it does?

I'll post my own views about this (though I am sure many can already infer) in my next post.

Oh, and I'll just post a poll because they're fun.
    History is cosa nostra. Our thing.
    Accuracy of the past is not an accuracy of the present.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Jesus didn't hurt people. People hurt people.
    Next you will be telling me guns don't hurt people, people hurt people. And no doubt you will go on to say, guns don't kill kids, kids kill kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    As for slavery, I believe he spoke to treating all people, including slaves, fairly and with respect. So, you see, it really doesn't matter WHO one is, or the condition of their servitude, if you follow his teaching, he provides for all humans being treated well by each other, slave or not.
    Perhaps you don't know what institutional slavey meant in the time of Jesus. Slave owners had the power of life and death over their slaves, and tortured and killed their slaves with impunity.

Also the slave owners raped their slaves, male, female and children at will and with impunity.

And Jesus kept his silence.

Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    "If", Victor, in the sense of a hypothetical. Besides, different people will read the text differently, emphasizing some bits and deemphasizing others according to their psychologies. I don't blame anyone who glosses over the parts you object to ... their constitution is different. There are other things they are there for. They are in a different place. Different messages are more relevant for them, object all you want if you will.
    It is the very essence of the authoritarian mind to believe Jesus or Mohammed were perfect examples to be followed.

The skeptical mind will be able to see clearly that Jesus and Mohammed were far from perfect and are bad examples for us to follow.

The authoritarian mind enters into a panic when faced with the skeptical mind. And in Islam skeptics are killed, but in the West skeptics are tolerated.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is the very essence of the authoritarian mind to believe Jesus or Mohammed were perfect examples to be followed.
    And I don't disagree. Spiritual outlook forms a foundation for people to feel there is reason to hope, to trust, to feel internally secure, so of course seeming to disrupt that may upset people. Try to understand people are just doing what they can to bring structure and order to their minds so they can live as empowered, expressive individuals. It's not a stretch for people to band together with the like minded and isolate those who seem to threaten what they have accepted as the reason they can trust other people. Would not who rejects it seem to attack that foundation for their society?

Yes, there are clearly confusions involved there, but I think the skeptical mind does not have to look far to find compassion and understanding for it.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.