User Tag List

View Poll Results: How blindly do you trust superior entities?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all

2 10.53%
  • Very little

3 15.79%
  • Slightly

10 52.63%
  • A good amount

4 21.05%
  • Completely

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'd say it is similar, although the archetypes or provided from earlier in life, the family usually if you're fortunate for the trust relationship with God. It is different you're right.
    Could you expand on the archetypes notion? I did not really follow what you meant here.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glycerine

Only very little to slightly because everything is subject to human error, IMO.

WALMART

I don't, during work meetings I would constantly speak up on anything I disagreed with to whatever result, I don't really care much about being wrong, just as I don't care if they think they are right.

Though my most recent direct supervisor had earned my trust in his decision making, and I would be more cautious about speaking up in front of him, I'd noticed.

This is to say that I do not not share vision with superiors when the vision warrants it.

MBTI
    INFJ

Slightly.

But I must have some notion that this entity is actually superior.
    i.e. I need a way to know that the entity actually knows more than me in a metacognative sense. If I know enough to fact check the entity on its knowledge, then why would I need to trust it? Yet, if I need to trust it because it is a superior entity, I need to know that it is a superior entity somehow.

I have to be able to do some kind of sanity check.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I answered "a good amount", but I should have answered "slightly". It all depends on my conception of them as superior, whether I would notice if they were in error, etc. I do tend to trust superior entities by default, but what varies is how quickly they lose my trust. It's very, very dependent on the situation.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Yes. But I'm not sure I follow the relevance.
    They're not inherently better or worse. Thinking in those terms is damaging to self esteem and stifles self improvement.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think the way the question is phrased is going to bias the results...

I don't know that I can really give an overall estimate of how much I trust all entities. It depends on my competence in the area in question, it depends on my trust of the entity, it depends on the significance of the information, and it depends on how quickly I need to rely on that information. Most of the time I also rely on my intuition to tell me if something is near correct or not, especially with numbers.

Scenario 1:
    The use of a calculator or computing device to calculations. How blindly to you trust the answers spit out?
    What kind of calculation? The less I can do it in my head, the more I'm going to have to trust the computer. Are my final answers in the right ballpark? Intuition will generally help me there. What am I going to use it for? Does my job rely on this?

Scenario 2:
    Someone that you, yourself, believe to be more wise and worldly gives you advise about a situation where you believe (s)he has superior judgement. How blindly do you trust him/her?
    Depends on the gravity of the situation. If I don't have much to lose, I'll probably go with what they've said, or if it seems like a bad idea I'll just go with my own impulse. If it's a very serious situation, I'll keep collecting information from lots of sources and cross-check.

Scenario 3:
    An alien comes to Earth and explains how to create world transforming technologies (specifically in space travel and inter-species communication).
    Try it. What's there to lose?

Scenario 4:
    Someone that you know is better at processing emotions gives you advice about how to handle an emotional situation.
    I do not delegate emotional authority, except to a few people very close to me who really understand how I operate.

Scenario 5:
    Someone you know to be more knowledgeable about a particular field tells you some facts about the field.
    Run it by logic; if reasonable, keep the info, if not, discard. Check it later on Wikipedia out of curiosity regardless.

Scenario 6:
    Someone you believe to be significantly better informed about medical issues (perhaps a doctor or nurse) gives you medical advice.
    I generally do delegate to doctors. The attitude of most doctors is not trifling towards human life, and they have little to gain by giving me bad information.

And so on. It always depends. I do a lot of Ne-Fi assessment, I guess. Ne to see if information seems to fit in with the rest of the world-matrix and Fi to see if people seem trustworthy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I cannot place a calculator in the same position as a spiritual entity. One you can crosschck the answers while the other has few checks and balances that are measurable. For one, the jeopardy of the outcome is low, the other could be massive. So my degree of willingness to trust or follow one over the other is variable and dependant upon the specific advice and and circumstances at hand.
    This was my thought as well. There are machines and processes that spit out the right answer as long as nothing is broken, and this answer is verifiable through other means. I have a lot of trust in processes and machines that seem to be established on sound principles. For example, I trust my car to operate consistently rather than running me into a tree, I've flown in airplanes, I use electrical devices without fearing to be electrocuted as long as I don't use them in the bathtub (or some other working conditions we all know), I trust the refrigerator to keep my food unspoiled for eating, I trust medicine I buy at the store to work as directed within its normal range of behavior, etc. We all trust a lot of processes and items implicitly, once we get a sense of how they work and can weigh them as effectual from experience.

This is very different from a human being's opinion of spirituality, kind of on the opposite end, as spirituality cannot be "proven' at all or established as operating under a specific sense of principles. Instead we have different philosophies, and the most we can do is judge them historically (if they make any historical claims) or in terms of outcome if they presuppose a particular process to generate a particular conclusion.

For me, I actually do handle these two very different items similarly, though, in terms of principle. I first establish how trustworthy it is --are the principles consistent, do things work as claimed -- and then I weigh it accordingly. It's just that physical processes, machines, and the like are naturally far more trustworthy; people are fuzzier in both their behavior and knowledge, and their beliefs cannot be tested as strongly as to whether they work or not, as there are always exceptions, misunderstandings, contextual factors, etc.

What happens when I evaluate people? I guess at best I judge the veracity of the person; Are they consistent? Do they normally show good understanding of the world? can they reasonably predict outcome correctly? What is their own judging process like -- are they trying to test their own ideas too? Have I know them to lie in the past? Or make mistakes? What do their lives look like? What is it the outcome of their own choices, typically? This gives me an idea of the person's general accuracy and insight and sincerity levels, and helps me establish trust.

Note that even if I believe someone is typically trustworthy as well as wise, it doesn't mean they are infallible. I can give a person more credit if they have an established track record, and if I believe there is no way for me to confirm or deny their suppositions myself -- there is no good way to "test" them -- but typically if something seems to be outside of the normal range of behavior or claim, I'll typically test the idea rather than trusting it. As soon as there is an inconsistency, then I now have a question/doubt about it that I need to do something with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

The answers vary widely. Slightly is an approximation. If I feel qualified to know or figure out something, I will trust myself first, taking outside information and perspectives into account, and then let other people persuade me otherwise. If I know very little about something or have no interest, I will give "superior entities" the benefit of the doubt. I never have blind or complete trust in anything though (or anyone). Even if I go with what someone or something says, I will verify with other knowledgeable people that that source has credibility and that what they say makes sense. Any source can lose my trust.

I'm more inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt in practical areas, like science, technology, and money management. Things like philosophy, spirituality, religion, and ethics I feel as qualified as anyone else to have an opinion. I feel confident with ideas but not facts. (And subjective, personal things it would be appropriate to decide on one's own.)

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    They're not inherently better or worse. Thinking in those terms is damaging to self esteem and stifles self improvement.
    I did say "entity", which may or may not be a person. But even with people, I think it is pretty clear that some people are better at some things than others. When I said "superior" I meant only in relation to a particular domain of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I think the way the question is phrased is going to bias the results...
    Every question biases the results. How would you have preferred it phrased?

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I don't know that I can really give an overall estimate of how much I trust all entities. It depends on my competence in the area in question, it depends on my trust of the entity, it depends on the significance of the information, and it depends on how quickly I need to rely on that information. Most of the time I also rely on my intuition to tell me if something is near correct or not, especially with numbers.
    Can you unpack this a little? How does your own competence the area in question affect how much you trust? Are you talking about trust in the entity as a whole (not just competence in a particular domain)? How does the significance and time frame affect how much you trust?

It seems from the specific scenarios, what you perceive to be a potential for loss is important, and that the greater the potential for loss, the less you will trust. Is this right?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield