User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

i went through a religion phase. i pretty much just looked at a bunch of different ways of thinking and just chose the one that made the most sense to me.

pretty much, im just agnostic. there could be something up there, i don't know if there is or what it is, but when I die it will all become clear. In the meantime, who wants to party? XP
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

WhoCares

Losing religion is much like finally figuring other peole out. You get to a point where it dawns on you, all this stuff others insisted was terribly important is just drama and bullshit. My alltime favourite religion caveat is right here....

If God is so perfect and brilliant he fucked up big time making humans. What with they're insatiable desires for iniquity and all. Yes, yes, testing your love and all that. But why does an omnipotent being need to 'test' stuff? Its a bit like you needing to test the lightswitches in your house everyday. Wouldn't you just know, if you were the most powerful force in the universe, that shit you make works?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Listen members of typology central, I really have no idea what to do and no idea what to believe. I am frightened in every possible way, no matter which way I turn when it comes to religion. Has anyone else on this forum had trouble sorting out religious beliefs and if so, how did you sort them out?
    I have done this. I can relate my personal experiences, but first I would point out several things:

1. Christianity, or the flavor of Christianity you grew up with, is not the only religion out there. If you find comfort or inspiration in the idea of God, there are many other paths to him (her), not all nearly as punitive as what you described.

2. Religion is not the only source for morality. If you are seeking primarily some principles to guide your actions, follow Nicodemus' advice and do some reading, and thinking.

3. You do not need to be religious at all to be uncomfortable about lying or dishonesty in your job. You mention you "used to be in sales", though; do you have a different job now that challenges your personal integrity less?

My falling away from my childhood religion was less traumatic than yours, since it did not involve the kind of moral dilemma you present. I simply became more and more disenchanted with and critical of my religion, and all the senselessness and inconsistency in it. Ultimately I realized I just didn't believe it. I went through some years when I really didn't know what I believed at all. During this time, I was convinced of two things: (1) the reality of my beliefs would be found internally; and (2) at least I believed in God/deity/some being or existence beyond ourselves. (2) was reinforced significantly by the writings of scientists of old, like Newton and Galileo, who saw study of the creation as one means of coming to know the creator. I didn't believe this because of what they wrote, but saw my own core belief reflected in their writings - the comfort of familiarity, I suppose.

I investigated many things - other forms of Christianity, even Bahai faith (learned much there). Eventually I stumbled across a book, which led to others almost like a scavenger hunt, and learned what questions I needed to be asking, and started to find some answers. Now coming almost full circle, I can appreciate my childhood religion much more since I don't feel I have to fit myself into it, much as I can appreciate on someone else an outfit that it not my size, or style, or color preference. There are many paths up the mountain; all that matters is that you are climbing.

If you are still having a hard time getting out of the religious mindset you were brought up with, try to focus on the more compassionate side of God/Jesus presented there. There is much in the Bible about how God reaches out to those who want to know him. For now, take this to mean simply that as long as you are honestly seeking, you will eventually find what you need, you just need to remain open to it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

life story
    I don't know how your parents raised you, but you display almost no knowledge of how the Christian God of the Bible works in this world. The God you are frightened of is a God who does not love you and is only interested in making you feel guilty and controlling you to take you away from the things you're good at.

I'm glad I don't believe in that God, but believe in and worship the Christian God.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Thanks guys for all the comments. My biggest problem is that my mind is going into super Ti mode, and investigating the hell out of what really happens when I die. It's not like this Fi-style, "I want to explore how I feel about religion thing", it's more of like a "I want to really investigate what really happens when I die thing, and what makes logical sense to me". This issue pesters me day and night. In fact, many times I'm terrified to even go outside and jog for fear of being hit by a car. I feel like if I died right now, it would end poorly no matter what: I would either die and go to hell for not keeping the faith, or I would just perish forever. For that matter, even when I'm taking a shower in the morning, and the water gets too hot, visions of burning in hellfire overload my mind. It gets so bad, I am even starting to have panic attacks about this.

I'm wondering how to solve this problem. I mean, I guess I could go to a psychologist, but I'm not really sure if they could help me because it has to do with religious issues. Also, if I do decide to keep the religion, then I think that I should really re-investigate just who God really is. I think that there are two big ways to view God, the old testament ENTJ 8w7 God, and then the 2w1 INFJ God in the New testament. I view God more as the ENTJ vengful God, and I really think that this messes me up mentally.

Thanks guys for all the comments. My biggest problem is that my mind is going into super Ti mode, and investigating the hell out of what really happens when I die. It's not like this Fi-style, "I want to explore how I feel about religion thing", it's more of like a "I want to really investigate what really happens when I die thing, and what makes logical sense to me". This issue pesters me day and night. In fact, many times I'm terrified to even go outside and jog for fear of being hit by a car. I feel like if I died right now, it would end poorly no matter what: I would either die and go to hell for not keeping the faith, or I would just perish forever. For that matter, even when I'm taking a shower in the morning, and the water gets too hot, visions of burning in hellfire overload my mind. It gets so bad, I am even starting to have panic attacks about this.

I'm wondering how to solve this problem. I mean, I guess I could go to a psychologist, but I'm not really sure if they could help me because it has to do with religious issues. Also, if I do decide to keep the religion, then I think that I should really re-investigate just who God really is. I think that there are two big ways to view God, the old testament ENTJ 8w7 God, and then the 2w1 INFJ God in the New testament. I view God more as the ENTJ vengful God, and I really think that this messes me up mentally.
    The answers to your questions are very simple, you just do not like them.

I imagine your brother is quite annoyed with the way you go about these things.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

I think that there are two big ways to view God, the old testament ENTJ 8w7 God, and then the 2w1 INFJ God in the New testament. I view God more as the ENTJ vengful God, and I really think that this messes me up mentally.
    Yes these are two big ways. There's also a 3rd way: God is a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 w everything to all.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by zelo1954 View Post
    There's also a 3rd way: God is a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 w everything to all.
    The original presumption of the Enneagram is that each type represents a different attribute of God.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The original presumption of the Enneagram is that each type represents a different attribute of God.
    Very good. Thanks for that.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

There is always Albert Einstein's INTP Cosmic God who is manifested throughout the harmony of the Cosmos and all of its radiant beauty who owes no justice to a God who punishes his subjects!