User Tag List

123 Last

WhoCares

Default What do you do when your lifes ourpose doesnt pan out?

Lets just say that you always knew you wanted something in life. It keep you awake at night from your earliest memories and you believed this thing was your life's purpose. Now lets say it all came true then crashed and burned on you shortly after. Due to external circumstances I can no longer pursue this thing, i had my chance and uts gone. Now what? Why do we want things that simply will not be a reality fir us? And then what do we do once we've estabkished that is the case?

General discussion please, I wont give details because I do not wish to be ripped to shreds by unfriendly posts pointing out my general wrongness and various other faults.

Typos due to Apple-thingy crappy touch pad. Apologies.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Disappointment, disillusionment and reality checks are part of life. They are subjective. What would be something one person would take in their stride are for others something which will knock them for six.

I think if you can hold on, sometimes this takes the help or input of another person, the feelings and thoughts become tolerable, its even possible to integrate experience and be the stronger for it. I dont know because when its happened to me in some way in some place in my mind I know I'm in denial but it doesnt result in me doing anything or behaving in a way I should not or which has serious consequences. I just refuse to lose hope altogether.

Although I would say that being related to others, having absorbing interests and pass times, being productive are all part of the necessary preparation for these things because we all know they do and will happen to each of us. No matter how unpleasant the prospect is or how much you'd like to not think about it at the best of times.

Society

well, why did you think it was your life purpose to began with?

Permabanned

I avoid this completely by not having a purpose...

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Find a new life's purpose
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

WALMART

I've kinda learned to just be, man.

*lights bowl*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

homosexuality

thinking of you

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

We should not moor a ship with one anchor, or our life with one hope. – Epictetus

My mother quoted this to me when I was little. She taught me that life always goes on and that it's alway a good idea to have a plan B or C (or at least be able to improvise one). This was very important to her and I share that philosophy.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    well, why did you think it was your life purpose to began with?
    Through the sheer force of my desire for it. There were many times in my life when I just tried to bury my desire to achieve it but I could never succeed in that endeavour.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    We should not moor a ship with one anchor, or our life with one hope. – Epictetus

My mother quoted this to me when I was little. She taught me that life always goes on and that it's alway a good idea to have a plan B or C (or at least be able to improvise one). This was very important to her and
    I share that philosophy.
    I like this quote very much, thank you. I wish my family had imparted some kind of wisdom but people cant give what they havent got. No-one in my known list of relatives ever succeeded at anything or found happiness in life. Several members of my family committed suiide through alcohol abuse, my brother is about to join that dubious honour list.