User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Phi

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    "We" meaning "I." Happy? I wasn't trying to say otherwise. I said something, "or maybe not," which is neither a "correction" nor "wrong," since what I said was Pv~P and ~(Pv~P) is illogical. You were the one who misinterpreted.

Keep telling yourself that.

I'm glad you find it hilarious. Maybe now we can get back to the topic. It's a shame, I was quite enjoying our discussion until you decided to take it personally.
    I misinterpreted nothing. Nor did I take anything personally.

We were not having a discussion. I posted perhaps the best known example of "Beautiful Chaos". An image which has poetically been described as "the thumbprint of God". You told me it was not chaotic (because you were ignorant of the branch of mathematics that deals with complex dynamical systems).
    That irked me because it required me to further engage with you for the purpose of correcting your error/misunderstanding (which almost always entails the sensation of banging one's head against a brick wall).

Hope that clears things up.
    Last edited by Salomé; 10-21-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: "Duscussion" - noun, weegie for "chat"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Aside the fact that Phi is beauty of symmetry. In structures it leads to logically sound designs and in paintings it means that there is no deadzones on the canvas and allows the entire painting to be perceived.

People see such symbolism in Phi that it astonishes me really. Like there is something really special about it. But there isn't. It's all so simple.

Did the egyptians build the pyramids using Phi because of beauty? Nah, they built it like that because it was built to last and it doesn't require much depth of thinking to know a perfect pyramid will be much much stronger than one that isn't.

People are idealistic airheads.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    People are idealistic airheads.
    Idealists just love to read more into everything than is actually there.

In Art, it's charming. In Science, it's alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post

You would know all about that wouldn't you, you being an e6 after all. Ironically, I think you share the same enneatype as the OP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Coincidentally, I've watched a show about the golden ratio the other day and it was so hilarious.

Just one quote from the show that summerizes it all quite nicely:

"The golden number appears to be a constant in the universe."

And it gets much worse than that. But the fact they worship the golden number as some kind of existing deity is quite fun to watch.

For all you golden ratio lovers it might be worth watching though, others might have a laugh if they can muster up the time. Here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-20Cs7ewog

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You would know all about that wouldn't you, you being an e6 after all. Ironically, I think you share the same enneatype as the OP.
    Stick to Norse mythology. You suck at typology.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

From my limited understanding of norse mythology, I believe the real Loki sucked at that as well, so the correlation seems fitting. :P

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah it's really interesting.

Consider a tower built by placing small wooden blocks on top of each other. It seems orderly but the taller you build it, the more wobbly it gets because the forces on it and the small errors are cumulative the more you add to it. For each block that you add there's a likelihood that it will be slightly not square, or you've placed it imperceptibly off center, or it is ever so slightly heavier on one side. These all add up until it inevitably falls over.
    So that's how (seeming) order turns into (seeming) chaos. The flow of the yin yang.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I misinterpreted nothing. Nor did I take anything personally.

We were not having a discussion. I posted perhaps the best known example of "Beautiful Chaos". An image which has poetically been described as "the thumbprint of God". You told me it was not chaotic (because you were ignorant of the branch of mathematics that deals with complex dynamical systems).
    That irked me because it required me to further engage with you for the purpose of correcting your error/misunderstanding (which almost always entails the sensation of banging one's head against a brick wall).

Hope that clears things up.
    You did, because I was not "telling" you anything, I was simply thinking out loud and then pointing out how my thoughts could be mistaken. You took that as a correction, which it wasn't. It wasn't directed at you- i.e. you took it personally. I have a better understanding of things now, but you could have given the information without accusing me of correcting you and then proceeding to correct me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Meh. Whatever. Bored now.

You really fucked up your own thread.