• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Woman and man's highest calling- Cherokee proverb

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Actually I just looked up truth in the dictionary. It essentially means conformity to reality. So it is an objective measurement. So you are right, but it could also be argued that since it is a measurement, if no being exists to measure it, it is irrelevant. It could also be argued that anything untrue is imagined- which does imply mental activity in a being. Correct? So if there were no beings, there would be no untruth, and so truth would be irrelevant.

There are all kinds of common language meanings of truth btw.

Not imagined just misprecieved.

It doesn't matter if there are a million common meanings only one idea of truth is correct.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about this one?
4. (usually plural) a system of concepts purporting to represent some aspect of the world the truths of ancient religions

Note my edit that there are several definitions.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not imagined just misprecieved.

It doesn't matter if there are a million common meanings only one idea of truth is correct.

Mispercieved. Which requires a being to perceive it.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The truth is real. Not all of reality is truth, though all of reality is true. Truth is the intellect conforming to the object.

Yes, True. A good distinction.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All that mens is that fallible beings are required for falsities to exist, not for truth to exist.

Theoretically. But it is still irrelevant if beings do not exist.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, True. A good distinction.

Truth is intellect conforming to the subject: that's essentially what I said.

Good quotation btw, [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION]. I'm going to save it.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What about this one?
4. (usually plural) a system of concepts purporting to represent some aspect of the world the truths of ancient religions

Note my edit that there are several definitions.

What about it? It is defining truth as answers to questions. Not as multiple impressionistic answers to questions that can't be solved.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Theoretically. But it is still irrelevant if beings do not exist.

Only if you think beings are the definers of value. Why does the universe lose importance if it loses us?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about it? It is defining truth as answers to questions. Not as multiple impressionistic answers to questions that can't be solved.

How do you know that's not what it means?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ginko

I was under the impression that you meant that lies/lying, while a reality, are not truth.

I disagree with you if you think that truth means conforming to subjective opinions.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only if you think beings are the definers of value. Why does the universe lose importance if it loses us?

It has nothing to do with value or importance. Conformity to reality is a measurement, or a determination. This requires action, either to determine or measure.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It has nothing to do with value or importance. Conformity to reality is a measurement, or a determination. This requires action, either to determine or measure.

You don't need someone to observe a distance between two objects in order for it to be real or measurable.

G

Ginkgo

@ginko

I was under the impression that you meant that lies/lying, while a reality, are not truth.

I disagree with you if you think that truth means conforming to subjective opinions.

I think that subjective opinions truly exist. Opinions only hold truth value about subjective qualifiers.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that subjective opinions truly exist. Opinions only hold truth value about subjective qualifiers.

I agree opinions exist and that they have to be qualified to be true.

But then could further explain "Truth in the intellect conforming to the subject".