User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 581

  1. #171
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy
    I think there's a reason why men are usually the ones who go to war.
    Men don't "go to war" because they want to, excepting a very small minority. They are (or used to be) drafted by the army, and most of them (us) were deeply unhappy about it.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  2. #172
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Men don't "go to war" because they want to, excepting a very small minority. They are (or used to be) drafted by the army, and most of them (us) were deeply unhappy about it.
    I never assumed that. Different countries have different systems, but there is also a reason why only men are drafted in US(is that right?) and no one complains about gender inequality.

    The rule is not arbitrary. There's a bio/sociological reason that supports it. Otherwise we would see a handful of deviations around the globe.

  3. #173
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I never assumed that. Different countries have different systems, but there is also a reason why only men are drafted in US(is that right?) and no one complains about gender inequality.
    Yes, because they're physically stronger and they don't make babies.

    The rule is not arbitrary. There's a bio/sociological reason that supports it. Otherwise we would see a handful of deviations around the globe.
    There's a clear biological reason which no one denies, on the other hand there's no reason to assume that men actually prefer the current sociological setting which makes them "go to war" much more often etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  4. #174
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Note to self and everyone everywhere who is in the business of giving advice and wisdom: don't speak to NT's with proverbs, mysticism, anything vague, or anything they have to use a function other than logic to figure out. And there we have the thread in a nutshell, folks. We've all learned something today.
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Don’t use touchy-feely New Age motivational posters to suck people into a discussion on pagan yin-yang theories. People are going to resist the latter by focusing on the deficiencies of the former.
    Oh snap!

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Well no we don't have to separate people into polarities, things just work best in balance. And if one person is extreme in one area, it's usually best for their partner to balance them out. Usually.
    No. When one person is extreme in one area, it's always best that they seek balance within themselves, rather than excusing their imbalance as a function of gender, and seeking to compensate for it by symbiosis with someone else equally (though oppositely) imbalanced.

    We call this Individuation and it is part of growing up. A process which involves throwing off childish fairy tales and fantasies and overly-simplistic models of the world and the "types" of people in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #175
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yes, because they're physically stronger and they don't make babies.
    That's too simplistic.
    Strength isn't that much of a factor when soldiers are able to kill enemies miles away.
    Both men and women are required to make babies, women just carry them (and breastfeed and take care, etc, which is actually my point) .

    There's a clear biological reason which no one denies, on the other hand there's no reason to assume that men actually prefer the current sociological setting which makes them "go to war" much more often etc.
    They don't prefer. It's the sort of thing that we aren't wired to question. Kinda like God's existence some centuries ago.

  6. #176
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    That's too simplistic.
    Strength isn't that much of a factor when soldiers are able to kill enemies miles away.
    So? What's your point? Up to now, I've given some clear facts (men are indeed stronger and men indeen don't carry babies). On the other hand, you're supporting a "sociological" hypothesis which boils down to "it's just the way it is".

    Both men and women are required to make babies, women just carry them (and breastfeed and take care, etc, which is actually my point)
    Semantics, you know what I mean.

    They don't prefer. It's the sort of thing that we aren't wired to question. Kinda like God's existence some centuries ago.
    If we're not "wired" biologically to question something, then our stance is bound not to change throughout the centuries. Since we do now question God's existence (and we did questions its existence beforehand, it was just inconvenient to say it out loud), your argument defeats itself.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  7. #177
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    I give up, let's just agree to disagree.

  8. #178
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    No. When one person is extreme in one area, it's always best that they seek balance within themselves, rather than excusing their imbalance as a function of gender, and seeking to compensate for it by symbiosis with someone else equally (though oppositely) imbalanced.
    Or type!

    I would say seeking balance is really only important in terms of the unhealthy or less-functional aspects, but maybe extreme is always unhealthy? For example, for some Fs or some Ts... maybe the Fs learn not to take things so personally and not see all statements they disagree with as an attack, or Ts learn that not everyone processes things as they do and to take others' feelings into account. But I think, even after learning to approach things with more balance, still your tendencies will remain. And those differences between people add so much richness to life. (Fi ) I am drawn to certain people because they are themselves so thoroughly yet also have the maturity to take a calm and reasonable step back from their "natural" perspective as well when the situation requires.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  9. #179
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That depends on how you see physical strength. Women tend to have better endurance, and weather disease and illness better. If men tend to be the aggressors and women the targets, it would be nice for men to develop some self-policing strategies, but that is different from saying women need their protection.
    that's not what it said.
    nothing in the semantic of that proverb should make you that women are necessarily weak. there wasn't even any implication.
    it only says that his "highest calling," i.e. the greatest thing a man can do is protect a woman.
    perception is colored by the hyper-feminist culture we live in now.
    by the same logic you're using, i could complain about the "unwarranted implication" that men are soulless, or "Sourceless" [not sure what that means to the cherokee].
    but i don't, because the implication isn't there. the implication isn't even that a man needs the woman to find his soul/source. it only says that the highest calling of a woman is to help a man in that way.

    when are we going to get off this feminist high-horse? not everything is sexist.
    we fukin won boys

  10. #180
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Women don't have better endurance than men (ceteris paribus ofc). The world records in endurance sports have been set by men, as well as in Ironmen competitions. It's just a silly myth.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Older woman younger man
    By Butterfly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 06:27 AM
  2. [NF] F woman and T man
    By INTPness in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 03:22 AM
  3. [NF] If you had infinite money,land, and man-power... What would you do for fun?
    By ObeyBunny in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 12:05 AM
  4. The good life and man's relation to society
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO