User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Note to self and everyone everywhere who is in the business of giving advice and wisdom: don't speak to NT's with proverbs, mysticism, anything vague, or anything they have to use a function other than logic to figure out. And there we have the thread in a nutshell, folks. We've all learned something today.
    Yeah they're all like

And I'm just like

RDF

Note to self and everyone everywhere who is in the business of giving advice and wisdom: don't speak to NT's with proverbs, mysticism, anything vague, or anything they have to use a function other than logic to figure out. And there we have the thread in a nutshell, folks. We've all learned something today.
    Don’t use touchy-feely New Age motivational posters to suck people into a discussion on pagan yin-yang theories. People are going to resist the latter by focusing on the deficiencies of the former.

If you want to discuss pagan mysticism, just present it as an intellectual discussion of exactly that, and whoever shows up will focus on that alone.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Don’t use touchy-feely New Age motivational posters to suck people into a discussion on pagan yin-yang theories. People are going to resist the latter by focusing on the deficiencies of the former.

If you want to discuss pagan mysticism, just present it as an intellectual discussion of exactly that, and whoever shows up will focus on that alone.
    What? What's pagan or mystical?

I mean yeah, some people get pretty far out and new agey or religious about it but it was really just some philosophical beard stroking dudes talking to each other about stuff. I mean we don't even know if Laozi was a real guy or if it was like five different people that wrote the TTC.

It's also rather hard to translate it, even for Chinese, because classical Chinese is more poetic and illustrative.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    What? What's pagan or mystical?

I mean yeah, some people get pretty far out and new agey or religious about it but it was really just some philosophical beard stroking dudes talking to each other about stuff. I mean we don't even know if Laozi was a real guy or if it was like five different people that wrote the TTC.

It's also rather hard to translate it, even for Chinese, because classical Chinese is more poetic and illustrative.
    I don’t know anything about pagan mysticism myself.

I’m just figuring that post No. 30 (greenfairy’s wall-of-text post on yin-yang theory) was the real center of the thread and that greenfairy started off with the New Age visual in order to soft-pedal the pagan theory and appeal to a wider audience. IMO, greenfairy would have done better to start off with the wall-of-text post.

To spell it out: Starting off with the light crowd-pleaser visual stuff and then using it to introduce heavy theoretical stuff later on in the thread smacks of bait-and-switch; most regular posters can smell that a mile off and tend to react poorly to it.

I’m just pointing all this out as a friendly tip to greenfairy, by the way. Greenfairy has been making some excellent posts and contributions, and I would hate to see her get discouraged over a minor thread misfire that’s easily corrected.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think the proverb has its merits....applying Helen Fisher's theory, I can see a sort of see a correlation between the feminine role and the negotiator temperament - estrogen dominant- , as well as a correlation between the masculine role and the director temperament - testosterone dominant - (and they're supposed to be a great match for each other).

I think there's a reason why men are usually the ones who go to war. And it's not physical strength - you don't need much of that to pull a trigger. I believe we men have a sort of subconscious belief that women are meant to be protected - and it's not a patronizing feeling, it's more of a role optimization. For the most part, men have a much stronger aggressive instinct than women, whereas women have a much stronger nurturing instinct than men.

Obviously, not always men take the masculine role, and not always women take the feminine role. So then, how should we define a masculine/feminine role? I don't know, you tell me. But one thing is for sure, Inferior Fe/Fi women go nuts everytime one assigns women a role that's widely regarded as feminine.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I don’t know anything about pagan mysticism myself.

I’m just figuring that post No. 30 (greenfairy’s wall-of-text post on yin-yang theory) was the real center of the thread and that greenfairy started off with the New Age visual in order to soft-pedal the pagan theory and appeal to a wider audience.

IMO, greenfairy would have done better to start off with the wall-of-text post. Starting off with the light crowd-pleaser visual stuff and then using it to introduce heavy theoretical stuff later on in the thread smacks of bait-and-switch; most regular posters can smell that a mile off and tend to react poorly to it.

I’m just pointing all this out as a friendly tip to greenfairy, by the way. Greenfairy has been making some excellent posts and contributions, and I would hate to see her get discouraged over a minor thread misfire that’s easily corrected.
    I don't really see that as pagan or mystical, though. I don't know why people go all wonky over that stuff. I thought it was a pretty good post.

Can't someone say 'spirit' or 'Divinity' without it all being about ghosts and aliens and stuff? It could really mean a lot of things.

Or not an NT.
    Fucking finally!! Hip-hip hurray for this thread!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

What's up NFers???

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I don't really see that as pagan or mystical, though. I don't know why people go all wonky over that stuff. I thought it was a pretty good post.

Can't someone say 'spirit' or 'Divinity' without it all being about ghosts and aliens and stuff? It could really mean a lot of things.
    No argument here. I'm just saying: Put it up front, so that people know what they're getting into right from the start.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Fucking finally!! Hip-hip hurray for this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What's up NFers???
    I like the concept of an NT pushing mysticism. I would like to see more.