• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do things happen for a reason?

W

WALMART

I would consider myself logical. I would like to state that irrationality is not commonplace in my worldview.

However, especially the older I am becoming, I cannot shake the feeling that things are happening for a reason.

My logical self states I am forming connections only where reality substantiates thought, but I cannot help but feel something metaphysical is at play. Coincidences too firm to be mere chance... or is Ne playing a dirty trick on me?

How do you feel about fate?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some things are just out of our control, but otherwise I agree that there must be something greater happening, also out of our knowledge. Was there a main thing that reinforced this thought?

WheresMyBunnies

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
To me there is no fate. There are chance but not fate. Its more a collective dynamic that rules us and sometimes creates the image of chances being fate.

KDude

I don't like the idea, but sometimes I think I'm cursed or experiencing karma, and have to redeem myself in some way. I hate even admitting that. Every once in awhile "fate" takes on a positive spin, but funnily, I'm quicker to squash that out. Like with romance.. or just a good opportunity. I hate thinking it's fate. You just set yourself up for disappointment this way. Or I do. Some people apparently make it work for them. No idea how.

ygolo

My termites win
We act according to our nature. Actions have consequences. The consequences create our environments. The environments influence our choices and shapes our natures. Does this cycle constitute fate?

Fate as a perspective can be useful, but as a belief can be harmful.

(You can decide whether these are aphorisms or platitudes. I didn't wan't to create a "wall of text".)

gromit

likes this
Sometimes, I think yes. Some things seem to happen, or people come into my life, with too eerie of timing.

Maybe it is God or maybe it the universe working in some cosmic way. Or maybe even, like we were talking about in another thread, if we are just primed for an opportunity and thus are more ready to recognize it (consciously or subconsciously) presenting itself than if it weren't something we were looking for, on some level.

W

WALMART

@ ygolo

I am very fond of what you have stated. Actions have consequences, and recognization of the consequence... insightful.

[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION]

More priming! It ties in with ygolo's post, as well. To be in a position to recognize the opportunity created...

xisnotx

Permabanned
Things happen.
Reasons exist.

Reasons exist only because things happen. If nothing ever happened, then no reason would ever be needed.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

What came first, reasons or things happening?

Clearly, things happening. That's objective, reasons are subjective.

Without me, things will continue to happen, with me, things will continue to happen...without me, reasons won't exist, with me, they will, only if I choose so.

Fate, that things have already been determined by someone who is not you, is to assent to the notion of you not being in complete control of yourself. You are, then, not even you, but someone else...for what good is being you if you can't control you? If I controlled you, I'd consider you me...for what I consider me is what I have control over. My body, my life, etc.

I think, then, that things happen for a reason, the reason being only what you give it.

We create the reality which we think we are fated for.

W

WALMART

I wanted to make a thread on this subject before discovering I'd already done it. Creature of habit, I reckon.

I wonder what exactly prompted this expression of thought...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Apparently the answer is yes.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Everything that happens is a reaction to something, so yes everything happens for a reason.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
God, god yes.

You have no idea.

PM me for details.

EEW

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There is coincidence and chance. But fate seems a bit... too spiritual to me.
It is nice to think there is fate, but there is no fate. Only chance and coincidence.

That is my opinion though, yours may be different.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I believe that we have the jurisdiction over our own actions and we're not fated to act a certain way, but there IS meaning behind how things play out. I just don't like when people act because something "fated" them to do so. My philosophy is that if something is meant to happen, it will happen regardless of the choices we make. Of course most things probably aren't meant to happen and we can definitely decide our own destiny to some extent, but I'm one of those romantics who believe in soul mates and that stuff. I have no better way to explain it than Summer's speech about her husband in 500 Days of Summer HAHA.

G

garbage

We create our own purposes. We're mostly self-interested agents, whose collective actions and lives hopefully move humanity forward.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel great about fate, because I'm creative, and fate is about what you create it to be. There's nothing mystical about it; the world and your life are about cause and effect. But since all of us are emotional beings, no matter how we attempt to quantify things, its about cause and affect. What you think and what you do are the catalysts to everything in your life.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't believe in fate, or that things happen for a reason. There is no room for complacency in a world without any predetermined future, so I'm just like... gotta do what I can before I die if I want anything to happen.

Lark

The will of God [my good sirs].

Last edited by a moderator: