User Tag List

First 23456 Last

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    @jontherobot Unless the uncertainty principle is now obsolete, which I doubt, then the universe still is intrinsically random, in the sense that it is of a probabilistic nature and thus impossible to accurately measure both the position and the speed of particles in the present moment. This is not due to inadequate instruments, but because of its very nature. A particle is considered everywhere at once, each path being taken simultaneously, until it is measured; at which point a single path is 'taken'. How can we still measure this path with 100% certainty if the principle is in place? Nevertheless, It'd be interesting to read that proof.

I'll keep an eye out for the book that details the experiment, I lent it to my sister or something and never got it back. I remember more vividly, they were able to take accurate indirect measurements without collapsing the wave function. It can then be inferred particles inhibit a "true" state without being directly observed, but that is hardly enough proof to overturn the principle I suppose. I looked on newscientist.com and sciencenews.org but couldn't find anything about it.

An aside - I was just thinking about it, I find it funny Greene chose to use Agent Mulder and Scully as his analogous characters, I wonder if it was intentional? Kind of like a "here's why it can't be true, but maybe still possibly - I want to believe"... hm.

MBTI
    E..P
    Enneagram
    728 sx/so
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    How do you feel about fate?
    Duh... I believe in the beauty of mathematical models and laws and don't think anything is random. Even random isn't random really. Chaos is not what it looks like. I think 'fate' contains way too negative overtone but I do think that things happen for a reason and also in association to each other. What happens now is just one link connecting what has happened and what will happen. What once happened determined what is happening now and that further determines what will happen next. Once the first deed was chosen and done, there was no turning back. Note: a deed could also include not choosing to do anything.
    Johari Nohari

Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Big Five: Inquisitive
    Brain Lateralization: Right brain
    Friends: Phoebe
    MOTIV: Offbeat
    MTG Color: Red/Blue
    Multiple intelligences: Linguistic > Mathematical > Kinesthetic...
    My Little Pony: Rainbow Dash
    Oldham style: Mercurial > Idiosyncratic...
    R-Drive: Dynamism > Vitality > Hedonism...
    Temperaments: Sanguine
    Trifix: 7w6, 2w3, 8w7
    VisualDNA: Seeker

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyWoman View Post
    Duh... I believe in the beauty of mathematical models and laws and don't think anything is random. Even random isn't random really. Chaos is not what it looks like. I think 'fate' contains way too negative overtone but I do think that things happen for a reason and also in association to each other. What happens now is just one link connecting what has happened and what will happen. What once happened determined what is happening now and that further determines what will happen next. Once the first deed was chosen and done, there was no turning back. Note: a deed could also include not choosing to do anything.

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

:P

So are all things not yet past already queued up to happen?

Sigh, I'll never know the answers.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

As I see it, any "reason" for something that happens comes only from within the person who interpreted it. They might psychologically get something out of their interpretation, though. I do it sometimes, when it's to my inner benefit.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, I think there is a reason for everything. Sometimes it's beyond our understanding at the moment or we may not have the tools yet to explain certain scientific phenomenon. The reason is there even if we haven't realized it yet.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Society

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I would consider myself logical. I would like to state that irrationality is not commonplace in my worldview.

However, especially the older I am becoming, I cannot shake the feeling that things are happening for a reason.

My logical self states I am forming connections only where reality substantiates thought, but I cannot help but feel something metaphysical is at play. Coincidences too firm to be mere chance... or is Ne playing a dirty trick on me?

How do you feel about fate?
    we are wired to make the best of any situation (those who weren't died out), so when things happen we find meaning and utility in them. we are also social creatures with a need for affirmation, so to justify it, our minds fall to the habit of thinking things happened in order for us to gain the meaning and utility within them. as a result, we learn to expect it, and habitually expect to find meaning and utility in things that are not in our control.

if there is a higher plan, chances are, it doesn't revolve around anything that would be particularly meaningful for us, since...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I believe we have all the power we need to overcome whatever we face in this world--even if things are fated for one thing, we can overcome that. Fate is not a dictator to life--more of an auto-pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?
    For the record, it was the chicken.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Society

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    well aren't single cell organsims sort of both the chicken and the egg?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    well aren't single cell organsims sort of both the chicken and the egg?
    Speaking from a it-doesn't-matter-what-sort-of-theory-you-believe perspective, there is an enzyme the chicken produces that makes the actual egg shell and allows the egg shell to harden and protect the life inside.. so whatever evolved/got created into what will be known as the common chicken, it is required that it exists in order to produce an actual egg.

/completely off topic rant
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

damn straight i was first
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so