User Tag List

First 12345 Last

And don't forget the will of the Easter Bunny.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    And don't forget the will of the Easter Bunny.
    or random chance.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I believe in a contingent universe, that is, I believe the horizon is open and can take any shape, can develop along any path. Evidence for this attitude can be found in relativity and quantum mechanics, where nothing is absolute and is all dependent upon shifting contexts. In essence, whatever you envision, whatever you will to be can spring into being. The mind is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I believe in a contingent universe, that is, I believe the horizon is open and can take any shape, can develop along any path. Evidence for this attitude can be found in relativity and quantum mechanics, where nothing is absolute and is all dependent upon shifting contexts. In essence, whatever you envision, whatever you will to be can spring into being. The mind is free.
    You is raptor wizards.

Socionics
    ESI None

I dont like to believe in fate. Its like saying that all your efforts are reduced to nothing.

Infinite Bubble

On our scale, order and reason is apparent, but on a quantum level there is none that we know of. Out of mass chaos comes organization and the linearity we see, but on the most minute of scales, randomness in its purest form exists. And of course the universe burst into existence on a quantum level, and as such needs no prior reason.

I should also add that reason and meaning are two separate concepts. I have asked people the question before and some think it asks if there is a purpose or meaning behind events, rather than simply the event occurring itself. There is probably no meaning behind events as that is a human concept created out of evolution, but there is a reason for them (cause and effect).

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

I want to believe in it but I don't think I can.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    On our scale, order and reason is apparent, but on a quantum level there is none that we know of. Out of mass chaos comes organization and the linearity we see, but on the most minute of scales, randomness in its purest form exists. And of course the universe burst into existence on a quantum level, and as such needs no prior reason.

It has been known for some time that logically the happenings of even the most seemingly random events in quantum mechanics should be able to be tested for and predicted with one hundred percent accuracy. Brian Greene touches on this in one of his earlier works on quantum mechanics, probably The Elegant Universe. I actually found an article analyzing it, here: http://timblaisdell.blogspot.com/201...nd-scully.html

If I'm not mistaken (having trouble finding the proof), groups of scientists have recently been able to predict with one hundred percent accuracy the happenings of particles at quantic levels that were previously ascribed to being inherently random or probabilistic. Resolving the mystery of randominity is simply the task of understanding at what states varying particles take what actions.

So anyways, yeah... it sucks that that part of quantum physics has been pretty much debunked now, because it is the one facet that engaged me so heavily with the science to begin with.

MBTI
    yupp

Yes, sometimes the reason is not known until after sometimes it's never known but there is a rhyme and reason to everything.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Infinite Bubble

@jontherobot Unless the uncertainty principle is now obsolete, which I doubt, then the universe still is intrinsically random, in the sense that it is of a probabilistic nature and thus impossible to accurately measure both the position and the speed of particles in the present moment. This is not due to inadequate instruments, but because of its very nature. A particle is considered everywhere at once, each path being taken simultaneously, until it is measured; at which point a single path is 'taken'. How can we still measure this path with 100% certainty if the principle is in place? Nevertheless, It'd be interesting to read that proof.