User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I'm not sure this generalisation holds for all introverts.
    IME, INTPs (at least) highly value, and actively cultivate, brevity.
    o.O have you seen some of the walls of text crafted by the INTPs on this site?

It's..... rather alarming.

WALMART

@Lark

i cannot stand to read more than three paragraphs. four is pushing it, it better be damned interesting.

but when someone writes back six paragraphs to my one, something is wrong.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    o.O have you seen some of the walls of text crafted by the INTPs on this site?

It's..... rather alarming.
    What?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What?
    I would like to call two witnesses to the stand: intp and mal+.

(your type is xkcd so you don't count)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I would like to call two witnesses to the stand: intp and mal+.

(your type is xkcd so you don't count)
    Eric B, SolitaryWalker....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    yupp

because 99% of the time the wall of text is boring and could have been summed up in 2 sentences. Sometimes I'll try to read a wall of text and than i'm like yeah....no. I don't expect people to read my posts, and i'd forgive them if i wrote a novella on here and they didn't read it. Honestly I'm not that interesting.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I didnt know that it meant too long : didnt read until lately and the wall of text thing, what do you think of them?

I can understand someone wanting broken up text or forum ettiquette to a certain extent but does it really mean that people dont pay attention anymore or wont concentrate? If its difficult or demanding are people in the west just inclined to give up and avoid it? Is slacking a cultural norm?
    The thing is it shows a lack of effort on the part of the poster. If they do not wish to engage with the content they're posting enough to perform an analysis on it or provide some original feedback, then obviously it cannot be THAT important to them and so why should I consider it important? The alternative is that the individual is under developed and so why should I listen to them? Or, possibly they're intellectually arrogant and "preaching" at me. Why would I want to be the agent of bolstering that person's ego?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    The thing is it shows a lack of effort on the part of the poster. If they do not wish to engage with the content they're posting enough to perform an analysis on it or provide some original feedback, then obviously it cannot be THAT important to them and so why should I consider it important? The alternative is that the individual is under developed and so why should I listen to them? Or, possibly they're intellectually arrogant and "preaching" at me. Why would I want to be the agent of bolstering that person's ego?
    Others have stated similar things. Why do you assume that someone who has posted a much longer post actually took less time to make it? If anything, it seems, on average, that they would have taken longer to make it.

A longer post means that the individual is "underdeveloped"? Care to elaborate on this?

There are some posts I find interesting, other things I don't. Some are longer, some are shorter. Why do you assume a longer post means they are intellectually arrogant and "preaching" at you? We often have debates on forums.

It takes more time to read a longer post. That is certainly true. But I think it takes more time to make one too.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Others have stated similar things. Why do you assume that someone who has posted a much longer post actually took less time to make it? If anything, it seems, on average, that they would have taken longer to make it.

A longer post means that the individual is "underdeveloped"? Care to elaborate on this?

There are some posts I find interesting, other things I don't. Some are longer, some are shorter. Why do you assume a longer post means they are intellectually arrogant and "preaching" at you? We often have debates on forums.

It takes more time to read a longer post. That is certainly true. But I think it takes more time to make one too.
    I was referring to long texts that are just from other sources like a 4 page news article without the individual's commentary. I value long post's that the individual THEMSELVES took the time to type. It shows thoughtfulness, deliberation, and ability to reflect. When a person is coming from that sort of space I feel their thoughts are more prone to genuine honesty and I value them more.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

garbage

Someone had mentioned "signal-to-noise," and I think that's an apt analogy.

Long-winded talks or posts aren't necessarily bad in and of themselves. In fact, I've found that I'm terrible at elevator pitches and 5-minute presentations, because I feel as though I can't fully explain an idea or present what I'd regard as necessary context.

I actually fare much better with 30 minute to an hour and a half talks. But I still have to make them interesting, organized, and relevant.