User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default How spiritual are you/ how do you experience spirituality?

Though I would classify myself as a believer, I have a very difficult time being "spiritual". Feeling any kind of transcendental emotions or connection to the universe. I feel very disconnected when people talk about there souls or there spirit being affected by something. My mind accepts it, but I feel like the emotional component is missing. Other people seem to have the opposite problem, some people have it all going on and other don't accept any of it.

Obviously a certain answer would be that there is no emotional feeling because there is nothing really divine, but I don't really want to get into a debate of the existence of supernatural forces.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I feel spiritual but I don't know any of the answers. I have theories that I believe to be plausible.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

So Meretricious

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Though I would classify myself as a believer, I have a very difficult time being "spiritual". Feeling any kind of transcendental emotions or connection to the universe. I feel very disconnected when people talk about there souls or there spirit being affected by something. My mind accepts it, but I feel like the emotional component is missing. Other people seem to have the opposite problem, some people have it all going on and other don't accept any of it.

Obviously a certain answer would be that there is no emotional feeling because there is nothing really divine, but I don't really want to get into a debate of the existence of supernatural forces.
    C'mon, it is so yesterday to call yourself religious. Today we wouldn't be seen dead being religious, no, today we are spiritual.

Being religious is such drag, while being spiritual is so uplifting, so inspiring, and so meretricious.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    C'mon, it is so yesterday to call yourself religious. Today we wouldn't be seen dead being religious, no, today we are spiritual.

Being religious is such drag, while being spiritual is so uplifting, so inspiring, and so meretricious.

I agree that saying you are "spiritual" is a much more accepted than being religious. Where I live people are quick to mock people for believing in Christianity, however crystals, energy fields and anything from the "mystic east" (no matter how chopped up and removed from it's original context) are held very sacred.

Even so I still think it's interesting that self proclaimed non-religious people find it easier than I do to get that spiritual feeling.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Whatever impulse it is that drives people towards such topics - and with such fervor! - is also mysterious to me, but I hold no hope of having it explained.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

The Numinous

I agree that saying you are "spiritual" is a much more accepted than being religious. Where I live people are quick to mock people for believing in Christianity, however crystals, energy fields and anything from the "mystic east" (no matter how chopped up and removed from it's original context) are held very sacred.

Even so I still think it's interesting that self proclaimed non-religious people find it easier than I do to get that spiritual feeling.
    Let's call it numinous. So how do we get that numinous feeling? Well we have a numinous practice in Oz we call Bush Walking.

Yes, we go walking in the Australian Bush for days at a time, and we start to feel how small we are in the scheme of things, we wonder at the stars, we find heaven in the wild flowers, and marvel at the ocean. And we start to feel a small part of it all. And we return home refreshed and relaxed by the numinous.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Let's call it numinous. So how do we get that numinous feeling? Well we have a numinous practice in Oz we call Bush Walking.

Yes, we go walking in the Australian Bush for days at a time, and we start to feel how small we are in the scheme of things, we wonder at the stars, we find heaven in the wild flowers, and marvel at the ocean. And we start to feel a small part of it all. And we return home refreshed and relaxed by the numinous.
    Fasting and yoga are supposed to work, I hear.

Just makes me cranky, though.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

If you don't feel the emotional feeling, then do you care? It's arguable what an emotion really is, since it spans a complex range of human qualia that we try to describe somewhat inaccurately within the limitations of our languages. Some languages do a better job of explaining things. Point is, if you've never had that connection, why do you care? And how is your mind able to accept it, since feeling is an intrinsic abstraction to the mind? Even thinking, as people generally accept the idea in MBTI, is a kind of feeling and emotion, perhaps one that dulls the broad range of feeling for a more lineated feeling that can focus better (e.g. analytical skills).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    If you don't feel the emotional feeling, then do you care? It's arguable what an emotion really is, since it spans a complex range of human qualia that we try to describe somewhat inaccurately within the limitations of our languages. Some languages do a better job of explaining things. Point is, if you've never had that connection, why do you care? And how is your mind able to accept it, since feeling is an intrinsic abstraction to the mind? Even thinking, as people generally accept the idea in MBTI, is a kind of feeling and emotion, perhaps one that dulls the broad range of feeling for a more lineated feeling that can focus better (e.g. analytical skills).

I believe in gravity and the solar system and infiniteness of space. But I don't get a deep wondrous emotion when I think about them. I feel like you definition of emotion is "holding an opinion or judging the value of something (I assume this because you've said MBTI thinking is really an emotion. I don't really understand that.)

Use this as an hypotheical example. I love my parents and I am aware of all the things they do for me but there is an emotional distance and being around them doesn't elicit an emotional response even though I do value them extremely.

I believe in gravity and the solar system and infiniteness of space. But I don't get a deep wondrous emotion when I think about them. I feel like you definition of emotion is "holding an opinion or judging the value of something (I assume this because you've said MBTI thinking is really an emotion. I don't really understand that.)

Use this as an hypotheical example. I love my parents and I am aware of all the things they do for me but there is an emotional distance and being around them doesn't elicit an emotional response even though I do value them extremely.
    Are you telling us you don't have a normal emotional response?