User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 44

  1. #21
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I believe ten people compelled to define spirituality would define ten different concepts.
    Yes, this is true.

    --------------

    I would not describe myself as spiritual, as I don't think my thoughts, feelings, or behaviors rest on any belief tied to spirituality (in any of its ten various definitions, lol).

    However, I care about and love the people close to me, I think I have my own constructs on what I believe to be true and good and how I want to move through life and interact with people I come in contact with, and I find intense and profound beauty and value in the natural world around me, which I cherish to my core. I also experience all sorts of emotions/feelings...lol. So I don't think emotion/feeling, or simple recognition that in a complex world there are a myriad of connections/impacts of one thing to another, which then has ripple effects, has direct bearings with spirituality - at all.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  2. #22
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I believe in gravity and the solar system and infiniteness of space. But I don't get a deep wondrous emotion when I think about them. I feel like you definition of emotion is "holding an opinion or judging the value of something (I assume this because you've said MBTI thinking is really an emotion. I don't really understand that.)

    Use this as an hypotheical example. I love my parents and I am aware of all the things they do for me but there is an emotional distance and being around them doesn't elicit an emotional response even though I do value them extremely.
    Emotion is a very broad term, philosophically speaking. There are basic emotions which we all seem to understand and conceptualize very easily, like crying, sadness, despair, rage, happiness, joy, excitement, etc. But they are part of what we could call a spectrum of human emotion.

    Thus, when you say you are a thinker that is to identify your emotional state in some way. You might say it is to be without emotion, but you are still defining your emotional state. In this case, it sounds like you are apathetic and that is your emotional state. Apathy is going to denote a feeling of disconnectedness with whatever it is you feel apathy for/toward.

    So isn't it more important that you understand why you feel apathy, instead of analyzing the fact that you feel apathy in various ways? Because this probably has more to do with your overall satisfaction for your life than it does with spirituality. Spirituality is not just about emotions although they can be a large part of it just as with anything else.

  3. #23
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Are you telling us you don't have a normal emotional response?
    Do you? Have a 'normal emotional response'?

  4. #24
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Raised Roman Catholic. (Strictish but not nun-level strict.)
    Anyway, I fell away for a while. I was pretty agnostic for years with a lot of guilt for leaving. I asked a lot of questions about the universe though always had that inkling that it wasn't simply math. However, through my mental troubles, I have seen things that most people haven't seen... with my own eyes. I was lucky in a way... I am not naturally spiritual person but have been pushed back into belief.... I will always be a believer after my intense spiritual experiences. I'm not sure if I would consider myself a strict Roman Catholic but I do believe that I have a special relationship with those saints and figures associated with the religion. (They are still powerful spirits). Definitely an ethical monotheist as far as religion is concerned.

    At this point pure scientists look silly to me. I'm definitely not refuting science, but for self-proclaimed open minded people they are closing their mind to a lot of possibilities. There is a lot more than meets the eye... Much much more than we will ever fathom on this Earth. We don't currently have the perceptual abilities to do so. I'm definitely back into the spiritual life now and I try to bring this into my day to day life as much as possible. I find that if I practice a lot, it becomes more natural.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  5. #25
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    I believe it is related to the anthropomorphization of inanimate objects and thus is related to feelings about relationships. In other words your feelings about the divine exist in conjunction with your feelings about others/society and your relationship to them.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  6. #26
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Emotion is a very broad term, philosophically speaking. There are basic emotions which we all seem to understand and conceptualize very easily, like crying, sadness, despair, rage, happiness, joy, excitement, etc. But they are part of what we could call a spectrum of human emotion.

    Thus, when you say you are a thinker that is to identify your emotional state in some way. You might say it is to be without emotion, but you are still defining your emotional state. In this case, it sounds like you are apathetic and that is your emotional state. Apathy is going to denote a feeling of disconnectedness with whatever it is you feel apathy for/toward.

    So isn't it more important that you understand why you feel apathy, instead of analyzing the fact that you feel apathy in various ways? Because this probably has more to do with your overall satisfaction for your life than it does with spirituality. Spirituality is not just about emotions although they can be a large part of it just as with anything else.
    How is analyzing your apathy different from understanding why you feel apathetic? I don't think is really the right word either because it implies a certain disinterest in feeling. I'm not disinterested in feeling strong emotions toward things, I just don't seem to naturally experience that.

    I get that is more than emotion but the emotional part is what I find elusive.


    I didn't really want this thread to be about me though. More other peoples experiences.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    How is analyzing your apathy different from understanding why you feel apathetic?
    Cause analyzing can be in the same pool of reason as to finding ways to declare it as fact, rather than understand it. The other implies the aim to understand it, at least.

    I'm not disinterested in feeling strong emotions toward things, I just don't seem to naturally experience that.
    ...
    I didn't really want this thread to be about me though. More other peoples experiences.
    I'm kind of curious as to a why (if it doesn't bother you). It seems like you're trying to state it as self-evident, as if a why doesn't need to be or can't be deduced. I figured you'd be a little curious, but I guess not. I don't really mean to offend you either, if you really aren't interested. I figured it would be interesting and beneficial to talk about it, but maybe it's not.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Cause analyzing can be in the same pool of reason as to finding ways to declare it as fact, rather than understand it. The other implies the aim to understand it, at least.



    I'm kind of curious as to a why (if it doesn't bother you). It seems like you're trying to state it as self-evident, as if a why doesn't need to be or can't be deduced. I figured you'd be a little curious, but I guess not. I don't really mean to offend you either, if you really aren't interested. I figured it would be interesting and beneficial to talk about it, but maybe it's not.

    "Analysis is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts to gain a better understanding of it" wikipedia

    Analysis is the process of understanding.


    I'm a little confused. I think the making of this thread displays a certain amount of interest in how people experience differing levels of emotion. I am constanly with myself so, I'm more interested in others perspectives.

    As for the "why" of my specific personality I'm not bothered by an attempt to understand it but I try not to think of it as If it is a symptom with a cause. It's just a difference that could be understood if we understood the root of all peoples personalities.

    So i guess I don't look into why I'm less emotional because there doesn't seem to be a jumping off point for that line of reasoning. It's something i would assume geneticists would handle. But if you have any suggestions or questions or whatever I'm not offended or anything.

  10. #30
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    It's like "emotionally supportive". I've never really understood what it means.
    I think I might be spiritually dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] How do life experiences shape and define NF's?
    By Synapse in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
  2. [SJ] How do SJs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 01:19 PM
  3. [SP] How do SPs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 02:36 AM
  4. [NF] How do NFs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
  5. [NT] How do NTs experience crushes?
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO