• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How spiritual are you/ how do you experience spirituality?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe ten people compelled to define spirituality would define ten different concepts.

Yes, this is true.

--------------

I would not describe myself as spiritual, as I don't think my thoughts, feelings, or behaviors rest on any belief tied to spirituality (in any of its ten various definitions, lol).

However, I care about and love the people close to me, I think I have my own constructs on what I believe to be true and good and how I want to move through life and interact with people I come in contact with, and I find intense and profound beauty and value in the natural world around me, which I cherish to my core. I also experience all sorts of emotions/feelings...lol. So I don't think emotion/feeling, or simple recognition that in a complex world there are a myriad of connections/impacts of one thing to another, which then has ripple effects, has direct bearings with spirituality - at all.

Little_Sticks

I believe in gravity and the solar system and infiniteness of space. But I don't get a deep wondrous emotion when I think about them. I feel like you definition of emotion is "holding an opinion or judging the value of something (I assume this because you've said MBTI thinking is really an emotion. I don't really understand that.)

Use this as an hypotheical example. I love my parents and I am aware of all the things they do for me but there is an emotional distance and being around them doesn't elicit an emotional response even though I do value them extremely.

Emotion is a very broad term, philosophically speaking. There are basic emotions which we all seem to understand and conceptualize very easily, like crying, sadness, despair, rage, happiness, joy, excitement, etc. But they are part of what we could call a spectrum of human emotion.

Thus, when you say you are a thinker that is to identify your emotional state in some way. You might say it is to be without emotion, but you are still defining your emotional state. In this case, it sounds like you are apathetic and that is your emotional state. Apathy is going to denote a feeling of disconnectedness with whatever it is you feel apathy for/toward.

So isn't it more important that you understand why you feel apathy, instead of analyzing the fact that you feel apathy in various ways? Because this probably has more to do with your overall satisfaction for your life than it does with spirituality. Spirituality is not just about emotions although they can be a large part of it just as with anything else.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Raised Roman Catholic. (Strictish but not nun-level strict.)
Anyway, I fell away for a while. I was pretty agnostic for years with a lot of guilt for leaving. I asked a lot of questions about the universe though always had that inkling that it wasn't simply math. However, through my mental troubles, I have seen things that most people haven't seen... with my own eyes. I was lucky in a way... I am not naturally spiritual person but have been pushed back into belief.... I will always be a believer after my intense spiritual experiences. I'm not sure if I would consider myself a strict Roman Catholic but I do believe that I have a special relationship with those saints and figures associated with the religion. (They are still powerful spirits). Definitely an ethical monotheist as far as religion is concerned.

At this point pure scientists look silly to me. I'm definitely not refuting science, but for self-proclaimed open minded people they are closing their mind to a lot of possibilities. There is a lot more than meets the eye... Much much more than we will ever fathom on this Earth. We don't currently have the perceptual abilities to do so. I'm definitely back into the spiritual life now and I try to bring this into my day to day life as much as possible. I find that if I practice a lot, it becomes more natural.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe it is related to the anthropomorphization of inanimate objects and thus is related to feelings about relationships. In other words your feelings about the divine exist in conjunction with your feelings about others/society and your relationship to them.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Emotion is a very broad term, philosophically speaking. There are basic emotions which we all seem to understand and conceptualize very easily, like crying, sadness, despair, rage, happiness, joy, excitement, etc. But they are part of what we could call a spectrum of human emotion.

Thus, when you say you are a thinker that is to identify your emotional state in some way. You might say it is to be without emotion, but you are still defining your emotional state. In this case, it sounds like you are apathetic and that is your emotional state. Apathy is going to denote a feeling of disconnectedness with whatever it is you feel apathy for/toward.

So isn't it more important that you understand why you feel apathy, instead of analyzing the fact that you feel apathy in various ways? Because this probably has more to do with your overall satisfaction for your life than it does with spirituality. Spirituality is not just about emotions although they can be a large part of it just as with anything else.

How is analyzing your apathy different from understanding why you feel apathetic? I don't think is really the right word either because it implies a certain disinterest in feeling. I'm not disinterested in feeling strong emotions toward things, I just don't seem to naturally experience that.

I get that is more than emotion but the emotional part is what I find elusive.

I didn't really want this thread to be about me though. More other peoples experiences.

Little_Sticks

How is analyzing your apathy different from understanding why you feel apathetic?

Cause analyzing can be in the same pool of reason as to finding ways to declare it as fact, rather than understand it. The other implies the aim to understand it, at least.

I'm not disinterested in feeling strong emotions toward things, I just don't seem to naturally experience that.
I didn't really want this thread to be about me though. More other peoples experiences.

I'm kind of curious as to a why (if it doesn't bother you). It seems like you're trying to state it as self-evident, as if a why doesn't need to be or can't be deduced. I figured you'd be a little curious, but I guess not. I don't really mean to offend you either, if you really aren't interested. I figured it would be interesting and beneficial to talk about it, but maybe it's not.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Cause analyzing can be in the same pool of reason as to finding ways to declare it as fact, rather than understand it. The other implies the aim to understand it, at least.

I'm kind of curious as to a why (if it doesn't bother you). It seems like you're trying to state it as self-evident, as if a why doesn't need to be or can't be deduced. I figured you'd be a little curious, but I guess not. I don't really mean to offend you either, if you really aren't interested. I figured it would be interesting and beneficial to talk about it, but maybe it's not.

"Analysis is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts to gain a better understanding of it" wikipedia

Analysis is the process of understanding.

I'm a little confused. I think the making of this thread displays a certain amount of interest in how people experience differing levels of emotion. I am constanly with myself so, I'm more interested in others perspectives.

As for the "why" of my specific personality I'm not bothered by an attempt to understand it but I try not to think of it as If it is a symptom with a cause. It's just a difference that could be understood if we understood the root of all peoples personalities.

So i guess I don't look into why I'm less emotional because there doesn't seem to be a jumping off point for that line of reasoning. It's something i would assume geneticists would handle. But if you have any suggestions or questions or whatever I'm not offended or anything.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's like "emotionally supportive". I've never really understood what it means.
I think I might be spiritually dead.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I believe in gravity and the solar system and infiniteness of space. But I don't get a deep wondrous emotion when I think about them.

Me neither. But I certainly do when I feel them or experience them. I'm so very lucky that my T/F dimension comes out close to even. I can both experience the beauty of nature and consider it to gain understanding. Or is that a classic Ne feeding Ti? Help!! But I ***never*** experience the beauty of nature without considering both its creator and the creator's advocate (Holy Spirit) who resides within me and enables me to be who I am

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Me neither. But I certainly do when I feel them or experience them. I'm so very lucky that my T/F dimension comes out close to even. I can both experience the beauty of nature and consider it to gain understanding. Or is that a classic Ne feeding Ti? Help!! But I ***never*** experience the beauty of nature without considering both its creator and the creator's advocate (Holy Spirit) who resides within me and enables me to be who I am

Interesting. I was thinking/musing it was more of an Se thing. Being able to put aside T/F and actually experience something in the moment.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Interesting. I was thinking/musing it was more of an Se thing. Being able to put aside T/F and actually experience something in the moment.

Ok but. This would depend on what we are seeing. Are we meaning natural things (Se) or Nature (Ne)? Just a thought - may be bollocks.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Now that I think about it if we assume a belief in God and except the idea of Myers-Briggs for defining personality I guess you could argue the idea that everyone is experiencing spirituality through different functions. so maybe my lack of feeling of spirituality is actually just a lack of experience of Fe spirituality . whereas other people might lack other types of spirituality. For instance someone with less TI might have more trouble with theological study? Maybe.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Now that I think about it if we assume a belief in God and except the idea of Myers-Briggs for defining personality I guess you could argue the idea that everyone is experiencing spirituality through different functions. so maybe my lack of feeling of spirituality is actually just a lack of experience of Fe spirituality . whereas other people might lack other types of spirituality. For instance someone with less TI might have more trouble with theological study? Maybe.

Which is of course another way of saying (for a religious person) that we come to God via the gift set that God has given us.

Lark

Though I would classify myself as a believer, I have a very difficult time being "spiritual". Feeling any kind of transcendental emotions or connection to the universe. I feel very disconnected when people talk about there souls or there spirit being affected by something. My mind accepts it, but I feel like the emotional component is missing. Other people seem to have the opposite problem, some people have it all going on and other don't accept any of it.

Obviously a certain answer would be that there is no emotional feeling because there is nothing really divine, but I don't really want to get into a debate of the existence of supernatural forces.

:laugh: :roflmao:

Yeah, I dont think that obvious or certain answer would stand, for the simple reason that if you have not feeling about the orbital paths of the planets around the sun it still happens.

I used to contemplate this topic in the way you have described, perhaps I still do as I actively think about and pursue spiritual experiences, although I kind of put it down to being a strong NT, a lot of spiritual people and writers appear to have been strong feelers or perceivers instead. I like to read Aquinas or other scholarly authorities who have a sort of NT or cataloguing streak in them too.

Now and again I've had random frequently occuring coincidences which I could construe as divine response or planning with respect to myself or my prayers, although I've read a lot about confirmation bias and when I've able to see it and criticise it in others, especially athiests, I have to be able to do likewise for myself. More recently I've had humbling and terrifying experiences to do with my own health, it has made me think seriously about God and my own spirituality, it has not shaken it to its foundations as an earlier, brief, crisis of faith did, although it has made me think again some of the pop, positivity of contemporary spirituality, life may not be a bed of roses, things are sent to test the faithful.

This is not something I think people think about too much, instead of mystical epiphanies and joyful uplifting transcendent contentment you could, if you're spiritually open and orientated, invite the trials of God damned Job, that's just as much a possibility.

If you decide to pursue an exclusively thinking variety of spirituality, one which precludes supernatural or cosmic dimensions, I would recommend Eric Fromm's reinterpretation of the old testament You Shall Be As Gods, it proved interesting to be in the "soul" is synomous with psyche is synomous with psychology sort of way. I believe that he was mistaken ultimately, although its intriguing to see how he felt that spirituality and religious traditions had a significant relevence despite being an avowedly marxist humanist and non-theist (his terminology) materialist.

Lark

That's my take on it.

And the major spirituality guides and accounts will reflect certain typologies, almost exclusively so.

Lark

Which is of course another way of saying (for a religious person) that we come to God via the gift set that God has given us.

Or is God experiencing the world in different ways through us? The infinite variety and diversity would make for the sort of "progressive" dialogue which appears to happen in the bible and other world religions scriptures.

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Or is God experiencing the world in different ways through us? The infinite variety and diversity would make for the sort of "progressive" dialogue which appears to happen in the bible and other world religions scriptures.

Oh dear. I've got another question (why is religion always like that?). Is God independent of the Bible?

Lark

Oh dear. I've got another question (why is religion always like that?). Is God independent of the Bible?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting religion is always like, the idea of a dialogue between God and creation, infact that being in part the purpose of creation, is derived from Jung.

Of course God is independent of the bible, unless you believe some lutheran idea like solo scripture, which I dont.