• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Disorders: Moral or Medical?

Mole

Permabanned
I'm afraid this is a semantical argument and not within the scope of the OP.

Not much to say about the obvious difference between sympathy and empathy.

Go on, go on, break the rules.

And I am surprised you would say the difference between sympathy and empathy is obvious.

I seems obvious to me that almost everyone confuses empathy with sympathy.

For instance, here on MBTIc, almost everyone is seeking sympathy.

In fact the aim of MBTI is to show we are all the same under our personality differences - the aim of MBTI is to engender mutual sympathy.

And sympathy is natural. Sympathy is intuitive. Sympathy is built in to our mirror neurons. While empathy is counter-intuitive.

Just like reading and writing, empathy has to be learnt.

Empathy doesn't come naturally. Empathy requires sustained practice.

No wonder almost everyone sympathises and very few indeed, empathise.

And so, being ignorant of the nature of empathy, most elide the difference between sympathy and empathy.

The path of empathy is far too hard for most.