• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you kill someone if you believed it was a sacred act?

Would you kill someone if you believed it was a sacred act?

• yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • no

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

ygolo

My termites win
There are examples in various religions of this.

If you believed it was a sacred act, would you kill someone?

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
I think I have too much difficulty in imagining myself considering anything a "sacred act" to answer. :\

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I have too much difficulty in imagining myself considering anything a "sacred act" to answer. :\

Pretty much this... I can't think of anything that would be worth taking the consequences of murder for, at least not now, I suppose my perspective could change. Now, if there were no consequences for the act...

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Pretty much this... I can't think of anything that would be worth taking the consequences of murder for, at least not now, I suppose my perspective could change. Now, if there were no consequences for the act...

I can think of things I'd commit murder for, or circumstances in which I would do so. It's the "sacred act" bit I can't imagine.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
hmmm if i was brain washed to believe taking a life was a sacred thing, maybe. i probably would not be myself.

KDude

Only if it really looked like a sacred act. Thunderbolts, fire raining from the sky, plague of locusts.. It'd be lame if I used a pipebomb or something.

Nicodemus

I imagine you do not want us to reinterpret the question so as to make it lose almost all of its usual semantic content, therefore my answer is 'no'.

In return I would like to ask you how this rather strange question/thread came about.

ygolo

My termites win
I imagine you do not want us to reinterpret the question so as to make it lose almost all of its usual semantic content, therefore my answer is 'no'.

In return I would like to ask you how this rather strange question/thread came about.

Well, I generally leave interpretation up to the interpreter. This part gives me insight as well.

I am asking because I know that people have consciences and they also have social programming. I am trying to see if social programming can override conscience.

G

garbage

I would probably do it.

I'd hope that I'd be able to perform some sort of rudimentary cost/benefit analysis and to step out of the trap rationalizing a choice that I've already made, but who knows whether that's possible.

Then again, one of my primary fields is decision analysis :popc1:
I am asking because I know that people have consciences and they also have social programming. I am trying to see if social programming can override conscience.
Only in hypotheticals. Place us in real-life situations, and, bam; who knows how we'll act!

A

Anew Leaf

I am more likely to kill someone for wanting to hug me unexpectedly or cutting me off in traffic.

Is nothing sacred anymore?! I ask you!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
probably, but i would fight really hard not to, if that counts for anything

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm assuming this is meant to be sort of an Abraham/Isaac situation.

The question pre-supposes I believe this thing is sacred. I don't believe in God, but if I fully, completely believed in it and that it had given me this mission for some kind of greater good or to be part of its plan, I guess I would. Over-religious people kill people all the time and I have little doubt they truly believe they are doing the right thing. If my mind were as messed up as their's, I don't see any reason to assume I'd be any different.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would never believe murder was a sacred act. I don't understand how one is supposed to suspend that truth to answer.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes I would. If it alligned with my beliefs and values, I would. Id have a really hard time doing it though.

Lark

I'd have to have more information to answer this.

I think that life IS sacred.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This is impossible to answer because "sacred act" implies that you believe it is the most moral thing to do (more moral than the immorality of killing). If we're going to assume I'm religious enough to believe such a thing, then my personality would be completely altered and it's impossible to predict how I would be thinking, considering I wouldn't be deciding anything based on logic.

If you are really just asking "would you be able to kill if you were completely convinced it was the moral thing to do", removing religion from the equation, then my answer is that it's hard to say without being in that situation. My guess is that I wouldn't be able to unless it was very directly self-defense (or possibly defense of loved ones), and even it would probably only be possible if I didn't think about it very much beforehand.