User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you kill someone if you believed it was a sacred act?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

5 50.00%
  • no

5 50.00%
123 Last

Default Would you kill someone if you believed it was a sacred act?

There are examples in various religions of this.

If you believed it was a sacred act, would you kill someone?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think I have too much difficulty in imagining myself considering anything a "sacred act" to answer. :\
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    I think I have too much difficulty in imagining myself considering anything a "sacred act" to answer. :\
    Pretty much this... I can't think of anything that would be worth taking the consequences of murder for, at least not now, I suppose my perspective could change. Now, if there were no consequences for the act...

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Pretty much this... I can't think of anything that would be worth taking the consequences of murder for, at least not now, I suppose my perspective could change. Now, if there were no consequences for the act...
    I can think of things I'd commit murder for, or circumstances in which I would do so. It's the "sacred act" bit I can't imagine.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

hmmm if i was brain washed to believe taking a life was a sacred thing, maybe. i probably would not be myself.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Only if it really looked like a sacred act. Thunderbolts, fire raining from the sky, plague of locusts.. It'd be lame if I used a pipebomb or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    If you believed it was a sacred act, would you kill someone?
    I imagine you do not want us to reinterpret the question so as to make it lose almost all of its usual semantic content, therefore my answer is 'no'.

In return I would like to ask you how this rather strange question/thread came about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    hmmm if i was brain washed to believe taking a life was a sacred thing, maybe. i probably would not be myself.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I imagine you do not want us to reinterpret the question so as to make it lose almost all of its usual semantic content, therefore my answer is 'no'.

In return I would like to ask you how this rather strange question/thread came about.
    Well, I generally leave interpretation up to the interpreter. This part gives me insight as well.

I am asking because I know that people have consciences and they also have social programming. I am trying to see if social programming can override conscience.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

garbage

I would probably do it.

I'd hope that I'd be able to perform some sort of rudimentary cost/benefit analysis and to step out of the trap rationalizing a choice that I've already made, but who knows whether that's possible.

Then again, one of my primary fields is decision analysis
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am asking because I know that people have consciences and they also have social programming. I am trying to see if social programming can override conscience.
    Only in hypotheticals. Place us in real-life situations, and, bam; who knows how we'll act!