User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you kill someone if you believed it was a sacred act?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    5 50.00%
  • no

    5 50.00%
123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

  1. #1

    Default Would you kill someone if you believed it was a sacred act?

    There are examples in various religions of this.

    If you believed it was a sacred act, would you kill someone?

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #2
    right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    218

    Default

    I think I have too much difficulty in imagining myself considering anything a "sacred act" to answer. :\
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

    I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

  3. #3
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    I think I have too much difficulty in imagining myself considering anything a "sacred act" to answer. :\
    Pretty much this... I can't think of anything that would be worth taking the consequences of murder for, at least not now, I suppose my perspective could change. Now, if there were no consequences for the act...
    ...

  4. #4
    right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Pretty much this... I can't think of anything that would be worth taking the consequences of murder for, at least not now, I suppose my perspective could change. Now, if there were no consequences for the act...
    I can think of things I'd commit murder for, or circumstances in which I would do so. It's the "sacred act" bit I can't imagine.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

    I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

  5. #5
    Yup
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    Istj
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    hmmm if i was brain washed to believe taking a life was a sacred thing, maybe. i probably would not be myself.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

  6. #6
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Only if it really looked like a sacred act. Thunderbolts, fire raining from the sky, plague of locusts.. It'd be lame if I used a pipebomb or something.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    If you believed it was a sacred act, would you kill someone?
    I imagine you do not want us to reinterpret the question so as to make it lose almost all of its usual semantic content, therefore my answer is 'no'.

    In return I would like to ask you how this rather strange question/thread came about.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    hmmm if i was brain washed to believe taking a life was a sacred thing, maybe. i probably would not be myself.
    This.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I imagine you do not want us to reinterpret the question so as to make it lose almost all of its usual semantic content, therefore my answer is 'no'.

    In return I would like to ask you how this rather strange question/thread came about.
    Well, I generally leave interpretation up to the interpreter. This part gives me insight as well.

    I am asking because I know that people have consciences and they also have social programming. I am trying to see if social programming can override conscience.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #10
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    I would probably do it.

    I'd hope that I'd be able to perform some sort of rudimentary cost/benefit analysis and to step out of the trap rationalizing a choice that I've already made, but who knows whether that's possible.

    Then again, one of my primary fields is decision analysis
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am asking because I know that people have consciences and they also have social programming. I am trying to see if social programming can override conscience.
    Only in hypotheticals. Place us in real-life situations, and, bam; who knows how we'll act!

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it!
    By RaptorWizard in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 312
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 05:50 PM
  2. If you had to (and could) change your type, what would you change it to?
    By Emotionalogic in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  3. [SP] SP's ONLY: Who thinks I'am an SP? Vote for this if you believe it!
    By Il Morto Che Parla in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  4. [ENTP] Who think I'am an ENTP? Vote for this if you believe it!
    By Speed Gavroche in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 08:24 PM
  5. [NT] Would you believe me if I say ........ ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 02:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO