User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default atheist: why are you atheist?

and if you're christian, budhist, hindu, any other relgion why?

why i'm an atheist: because to me religion doesn't make since, it has nothing to with what other people believe, because me being atheist because i'm annoyed by christians doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

and i would like to follow about i'm only annoyed by 10% of christians the ones who shove their religion down my throat, but i'm also annoyed by atheist who do the same.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I can't force myself to believe something that doesn't make logical sense to me even if I wanted to. That rules out essentially every major religion.

As for the idea of a God in general: I am technically an agnostic with an atheistic lean. The idea there is a God doesn't have any solid support, the idea of a God with any interest in human affairs takes a turn towards unlikely for me. There's some more more specific and pedantic reasons why I lean a little more toward atheism, but I won't bore you. It boils down to "makes more sense to me personally."
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I can't force myself to believe something that doesn't make logical sense to me even if I wanted to. That rules out essentially every major religion.

As for the idea of a God in general: I am technically an agnostic with an atheistic lean. The idea there is a God doesn't have any solid support, the idea of a God with any interest in human affairs takes a turn towards unlikely for me. There's some more more specific and pedantic reasons why I lean a little more toward atheism, but I won't bore you. It boils down to "makes more sense to me personally."
    ah, so basically the same reasons, as myself?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ah, so basically the same reasons, as myself?
    More or less. Though people attempting to shove any belief system down my throat has no real effect on how I view that system so much as how I view that person (or group).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm going to be what I am until such a time that I start being something else. I don't really see it as a choice.

I could blahblahblah about logic and rationality and reason all day long but in the end that doesn't really matter - I'm either convinced or not, and being convinced is quite relative, and depends on my inner values meshing with outer values.

I find that belief is not a choice in this case. It's rather an alignment. If I were to be convinced then I already would be convinced because it would be really weird to refuse to believe something in the face of being convinced.

Just like you, I was born an atheist.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    More or less. Though people attempting to shove any belief system down my throat has no real effect on how I view that system so much as how I view that person (or group).
    me either, i wasn't saying that was why i was saying that people who shove their beliefs annoy me, not that i'm atheist because people shove their beliefs. that would be stupid imo
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I'm an atheist because religion is arbitrary. Why is one version of the 'sky father' better or more accurate than another? Why is the Christian god more accurate than those of the ancient world? Why not believe in the demiurge? Why not worship rocks and trees?
    I see and hear so many rationalizations for religious beliefs, but they all come back to justifying or trying to label or codify via reason, something that is ineffable and cannot be proven by reason. It amount to an attempt to prove a felt-sense of reality, and that is completely individual.
    I have no problem with people believing in something. I think that humans need to have a belief in something higher than ourselves in order to evolve, at least on a personal level, and possibly as a species. People need a spiritual life. But that doesn't mean that there is a sky father, or a god under the sea.
    On the other hand, atheism often throws spirituality away in deference to a mechanistic view of life and reality, that I think is also inaccurate and often dangerous, despite the technology that has resulted from it.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I'm an atheist because religion is arbitrary. Why is one version of the 'sky father' better or more accurate than another? Why is the Christian god more accurate than those of the ancient world? Why not believe in the demiurge? Why not worship rocks and trees?
    I see and hear so many rationalizations for religious beliefs, but they all come back to justifying or trying to label or codify via reason, something that is ineffable and cannot be proven by reason. It amount to an attempt to prove a felt-sense of reality, and that is completely individual.
    I have no problem with people believing in something. I think that humans need to have a belief in something higher than ourselves in order to evolve, at least on a personal level, and possibly as a species. People need a spiritual life. But that doesn't mean that there is a sky father, or a god under the sea.
    On the other hand, atheism often throws spirituality away in deference to a mechanistic view of life and reality, that I think is also inaccurate and often dangerous, despite the technology that has resulted from it.
    I believe, one can be both spirtual and atheist. I'm not spirtual but i believe it's possible.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I believe, one can be both spirtual and atheist. I'm not spirtual but i believe it's possible.
    that's what I think too.