User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

It's more mindless than insane or spiritual. The problem here isn't the supernatural or the strange (if it can even qualify as either), but that these people are probably zombies.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    Condescending and true. This is how people get sucked into cults.

How?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    yupp

i dunno, people like this usually just annoy me, but i always smile politely.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESFJ

Insanity? It's entirely normal behaviour for species homo sapiens; one can find similar rituals all around the world and throughout history. The vast majority of humans that have ever existed have believed and continue to believe at least some deity or supernatural realm.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    This is a little naïve. I'm betting that you're still in the first half or quarter of life.
    This is a little unfinished. I'm betting that you're still in the second quarter plus two then over pi, to the third power. Squared.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Quite so.

MBTI
    INFJ

I watched the first minute or so of that video and I say it is clearly a satirical parody. I stopped watching it after I realized that, because there's no way I'd be able to continue and try to look at it neutrally.

My problem with this is not even relevant to whether supernatural things happen or not. My problem is that the production is so cheesy, and in fact kitschy that it looks like either they are making fun of miracles, or they simply aren't cognizant of what a proper amount of seriousness is. I don't know what's worse.

It looks like a sacrilegious joke from my angle, which would be sad if people actually believe it because they don't even know it is making fun of them.

MBTI
    XXFP

In the evidence model, one approaches the world assuming as little as possible and looks for evidence to inform beliefs. The enemy is assumption.

When encountering assumption the corrective action is often to try to see past the assumption, which then leads one to evidence.

---

In the faith model, one approaches the world knowing what is true and rejects evidence that goes against beliefs. The enemy is doubt.

When encountering doubt the corrective action is often to try and strengthen faith even more. This is where faith is dangerous - it becomes a feedback cycle where people dig deeper and deeper to justify their beliefs, even more so when they encounter more doubt.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    In the evidence model, one approaches the world assuming as little as possible and looks for evidence to inform beliefs. The enemy is assumption.

When encountering assumption the corrective action is often to try to see past the assumption, which then leads one to evidence.
    But usually you are not aware you are making an assumption. I think the enemy in your evidence model is doubt. Because even when confronted with evidence, you can just require more and more evidence to believe it.

---
    In the faith model, one approaches the world knowing what is true and rejects evidence that goes against beliefs. The enemy is doubt.

When encountering doubt the corrective action is often to try and strengthen faith even more. This is where faith is dangerous - it becomes a feedback cycle where people dig deeper and deeper to justify their beliefs, even more so when they encounter more doubt.
    I think here the enemy is assumption (or righteousness), because you tend to assume your faith-based belief is right even perhaps in the face of conflicting data.

So, to balance them out, in the evidence model, one must be willing to believe.

And in the faith model, one must be willing to disbelieve, as it were.

Now I sound like Victor.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Of course I must whip myself now for posting something so cliche. Ive always found it interesting that at the end he says, (after referencing the wars the babel fish has caused), "....in the history of creation".

Afterall creation implies something that took action to bring about reality. As opposed to a series of mindless but inherent physical reactions and potentials of which we are a humourous by product.

Of course creation does not necessarily mean a conciousness that is of a human nature, since any god currently worshipped, by it's nature, is a product of human belief and therefore would theoretically use belief as a food to fuel it's existance.

But humans came after the universe....of this we can be certain. So as usual the question of what started what comes about....etc. But if someone or something did induce reality to get it's arse out of none-existance I can say that it seems odd to my mind that a god of our belief would have created what we see before us....being as how this is circular logic....albeit on my part, as opposed to being anyone elses view or argument; I mention this only to avoid making it seem as if this is a strawman, as it is really just my own ruminations, wherein im setting my own standards and rules of conception.

In regards to faith, I can respect someone who practices their faith so long as they respect my 'freedom' as a self-aware conscious creature; not to practice it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.