Nice try, Lark.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Nice try, Lark.
    I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean. I can understand that you find religion alienating, that's fine but the reality is that humankind has a religious imagination and for most of its history religion was the greater part of humankind's life, therefore there are many legacies and cultural, historical etc. Cutting yourself off from all that is only going to make you miserable.

garbage

Yeah, people are pretty dumb. Not religious folk per se, but these people.

"God saved an entire bus full of people! And also made someone lose weight!"

Of all of the trivial shit

Maybe God gave them tapeworms or something

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    This really happened to you? I would've died laughing.
    I would have either laughed, or I would have

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean.
    Sure you don't.

I don't think the "legacy of humanity" is the best argument to promote religion (and judge an individual's happiness, no less). Seems like a Fi argument, if we were to get MBTI-ish about it.

I doubt anyone would dare show me such videos for purposes other than amusement.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't think the "legacy of humanity" is the best argument to promote religion (and judge an individual's happiness, no less). Seems like a Fi argument, if we were to get MBTI-ish about it.
    There's a prominant UK humanist and atheist, former anglican, who has tried to build bridges between humanists and religious by paying the proper tribute to tradition, its not a reflection of feeling function, I find A LOT of the rejection of religion is stoked by feelings. Bad feelings. And the savage repression of pretty normal and natural spiritual feelings.

Permabanned

I won't believe it till I see a woman instantly lose 200 lbs of fat and shrivel up like a prune. She just looked like she was wearing dress pants four sizes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a prominant UK humanist and atheist, former anglican, who has tried to build bridges between humanists and religious by paying the proper tribute to tradition, its not a reflection of feeling function, I find A LOT of the rejection of religion is stoked by feelings. Bad feelings. And the savage repression of pretty normal and natural spiritual feelings.
    I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of feelings involved (I see a lot of bitter criticism against religion too). That isn't always the case though. Some people don't have any strong emotional connection or upbringing in it, and still think it's dumb on principle. For religion to gain respect from some of these people, it simply has to make some sense. The burden isn't on them, but religion. Appealing to some kind of global "human experience" isn't going to work. I say it might work for Fi types, because they often do think of humanity in abstract terms like that. They're not Fe, but I think this is how Fi becomes empathetic to the "other". The sense of humanity. It's not going to work for everyone.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of feelings involved (I see a lot of bitter criticism against religion too). That isn't always the case though. Some people don't have any strong emotional connection or upbringing in it, and still think it's dumb on principle. For religion to gain respect from some of these people, it simply has to make some sense. The burden isn't on them, but religion. Appealing to some kind of global "human experience" isn't going to work. I say it might work for Fi types, because they often do think of humanity in abstract terms like that. They're not Fe, but I think this is how Fi becomes empathetic to the "other". The sense of humanity. It's not going to work for everyone.
    Human beings do develop the same, regardless of diversity and unique traits like those obviously associated with ethnicity and language, there are universal traits which underpin human endevour and performance, the greater part of which includes, and for a long time was exclusively, religious. To just decide that you're going to dump that or go without is, to me, pretty stupid and likely to only result in, when sufficient time has past, a swing back, probably further, in the other direction.

Its not feelings based, I think there's a perfectly rational, thinking basis to that, it was rational to begin with even if you think there has been a divorce between religion and reason, as a lot of exclusive and exclusionary rationalist people maintain. As long as they can.