• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Biblical marriage

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
:shrug:

biblemarriage.jpg

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I didn't know the bible provided so many choices!

(But no man+man or woman+woman. That would be a sin)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're forgetting Israel + tamar (his dead son's wife) although that was more of a hookup. Absalom + his sister. And Hosea being "commanded by God" to marry a prostitute.

Oh yeah, Abraham + his half-sister Sarah

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

he's not a bibliophile like some of us!

(But no man+man or woman+woman. That would be a sin)

What's amusing is that I think the prohibitions about homosexuality only specifically refer to men. I can't quite remember this sec, but I don't think there is a place in the bible that says a women shall not sleep with a woman. I think this was because the "magic" was in the man's seed, and he was supposed to ejaculate into a woman's womb; to do elsewhere defiled the sex act.

uniquemixture said:
You're forgetting Israel + tamar (his dead son's wife) although that was more of a hookup.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was Judah, not Israel. God killed Tamar's husband because he was a bad man; Onan then married her, due to the Law that he had to produce an heir for his dead brother, but he pulled out and spilled his seed on the ground, so God struck him dead too; Judah wouldn't let his last son marry Tamar because he didn't want HIM to die, but Tamar wanted a baby to honor her first husband, so she disguised herself as a hooker and got Judah to knock her up; after she was visibly pregnant, Judah said to stone her because she had been sleeping around, but then she pulled out the items she had stolen from Judah when they had been doing the deed, and Judah realized that the gig was up on him if he offed her, so he spared her. So Tamar finally got the babies she had been promised, and still descended from the same lineage.

Anyway... quite an admirable display of moral marriage, Bible style. The Bible's kind of a cool book; it makes no excuses for these people, it just describes them in all of their failings.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
What's amusing is that I think the prohibitions about homosexuality only specifically refer to men. I can't quite remember this sec, but I don't think there is a place in the bible that says a women shall not sleep with a woman.
It's a trade off. Man can't sleep with other men (if that's what they like), but women have to marry their rapists.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a trade off. Man can't sleep with other men (if that's what they like), but women have to marry their rapists.

I guess I would just have to hope he had just been having a bad day. :sick:

KDude

I don't care if the Bible disapproves or approves of same sex marriage. The fact that that it's a bronze age era document, from a patriarchal culture in a land without any air conditioning is bad enough. Are there other bronze age era patriarchal cultures you'd want to base your love life on? Yeah, I didn't think so.

If this is all hinting at gay marriage, it's best to address that situation for what it is.

edit: Oh, and by their standards, I and every male who ever lived, and their dogs, cats, and every other creature under the sun is going to burn in hell for "onanism". Whether we jerked off or had wet dreams (either is inevitable), it's the Lake of Fire for us. And if you think can be free of this sin, then you will go to another section of hell for false testimony. ;)

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're forgetting Israel + tamar (his dead son's wife) although that was more of a hookup. Absalom + his sister. And Hosea being "commanded by God" to marry a prostitute.

Oh yeah, Abraham + his half-sister Sarah

To be fair the first two are examples of people doing the wrong thing by giving in to passions and in the third god is trying to use the example of hosea and gomer to illustrate his faithfulness to Israel despite their frequent bouts of idol worship. None are supposed to be examples of an ideal marriage in bible standards.

KDude

The only true "ideal" marriage in the Bible is Adam and Eve (seeing that the story has God playing a direct part in the pairing). And what were they? Two naked infants frolicking in the woods. It wasn't until they started overthinking everything and guilting themselves about pointless bullshit that everything went downhill.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To fair the first two examples are examples of people doing th wrong thinindium bing to passions and in the third god is trying to use the example of hosea and goner to illustrate his faithfulness to Israel despite their frequent bouts of idol worship.

She wasn't a "goner," she was "Gomer."

But I agree that that one was different. God told him to marry Gomer, as an example of God's relationship to the faithless Israel.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
edit: Oh, and by their standards, I and every male who ever lived, and their dogs, cats, and every other creature under the sun is going to burn in hell for "onanism". Whether we jerked off or had wet dreams (either is inevitable), it's the Lake of Fire for us. And if you think can be free of this sin, then you will go to another section of hell for false testimony. ;)

not true.firstly, I'm not trying to convert you just dishing out some info, so here it goes. from the Christian perspective this sin, and all sins are an inevitable part of human nature. The way to avoid hell isn't to never sin ( an impossibility) but to recognize the reality of your sin and accept that Jesus died as a sacrifice on your behalf. The idea is that through following god you can be less sinful but you will never be completely perfect as that was only accomplished by Jesus.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It wasn't until they started overthinking everything and guilting themselves about pointless bullshit that everything went downhill.

Hey mister, fruit is serious god damn business.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]

I think there actually is some short passage about women "turning to unnatural activities with other women" in there somewhere. Not in the laws but in think I remember it somewhere. I'll try to lOok it up.

And just to be clear I have no issue with legalizing gay marriage, I think separation of church and state is one of the most valuable aspects of the US government. I just don't like when people argue based on false ideas.

KDude

not true.firstly, I'm not trying to convert you just dishing out some info, so here it goes. from the Christian perspective this sin, and all sins are an inevitable part of human nature. The way to avoid hell isn't to never sin ( an impossibility) but to recognize the reality of your son and accept that Jesus die as a sacrifice on your behalf. The idea is that through following god you can be less sinful but you will never be completely perfect as that was only accomplished by Jesus.

This is just the doctrine of original sin.. something invented by Augustine. A doctrine that wasn't entirely agreed on by the early church (especially some orthodox). Only adopted fully by Catholics and Protestants. Who make up only half of the Christian world. I don't totally buy into the idea of Jesus as a sacrifice, in the same way they do. If Jesus was really meant to take upon all sins, then he would have never wasted the majority of his life being a wandering rabbi. A teacher teaches the ignorant, for the sake of correction. A teacher doesn't waste time with the utterly corrupt and hopeless. He spent a lot of time prescribing ideas on good thinking, good attitude, good ways to avoid damnation, etc.. If none of it mattered, and that we were truly corrupt to the bone, and all he had to do was die for their sins, then he would have cut to the chase. He was wasting his time living into his 30s, if that's the case. He could have died as a toddler or something. Problem solved.

edit: Hmm.. this is way off the subject. Carry on.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The only true "ideal" marriage in the Bible is Adam and Eve (seeing that the story has God playing a direct part in the pairing). And what were they? Two naked infants frolicking in the woods. It wasn't until they started overthinking everything and guilting themselves about pointless bullshit that everything went downhill.

Song of Solomon is supposed to be one but It's really mostly erotic poetry. I guess half of a good marriage is seen in proverbs 31. With the hardworking wife who is loves by her family. But yeah not a ton of stuff to go on.

KDude

Song of Solomon is supposed to be one but It's really mostly erotic poetry. I guess half of a good marriage is seen in proverbs 31. With the hardworking wife who is loves by her family. But yeah not a ton of stuff to go on.

Funnily that was one of the books the early Jews debated a lot on. Some didn't think it belonged and thought impure/merely erotic.