• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is fish a meat?

Is fish a meat?

• Total voters

KDude

How did this to get to even 2 replies, let alone 4 pages.

That's not a question.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How did this to get to even 2 replies, let alone 4 pages.

That's not a question.
It is a philosophical and spiritual question and therefore holds deep wisdom and meaning. Thesis material.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"vegetarians" who eat fish are pescetarians, not actually vegetarians.

/pedant-and-vegetarian

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol. I can't believe 5 people have actually answered "No" or "Maybe" to this question. Are you stupid?
I don't care about the ridiculous arguments from semantics you use to justify eating fish as a vegetarian: Fish are meat. Whether or not it is "less unethical" to eat them is a whole other discussion.

AND I FUKKEN LOVE SEAFOOD

Not all vegetarians are ethical vegetarians. Some people are just interested in health and they eat fish at times because it is a good alternative which has more to do with what is good to eat vs what is a living animal.

Basically one can like to eat a lot of vegetables for health reasons but if they eat meat, fish meat is a go-to choice because it is better in several ways.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
They don't belong on plates which is why we put them on plates so that we will be prompted to remove them from the plate on which they don't belong by a process of consumption and therefore everything maintains its proper order.

Edit: the process is even improved if you use nori in lieu of the plate because you can eat the nori and the fish at the same time. This is better because plates aren't very tasty and you have to wash them later.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
They don't belong on plates which is why we put them on plates so that we will be prompted to remove them from the plate on which they don't belong by a process of consumption and therefore everything maintains its proper order.

Edit: the process is even improved if you use nori in lieu of the plate because you can eat the nori and the fish at the same time. This is better because plates aren't very tasty and you have to wash them later.

Not if they're paper plates. Or one of these...

odd1.jpg

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
According to the dictionary, meat is the flesh of an animal consumed as food. Since fish are animals, the flesh of fish is considered meat.

According to Catholics, fish is not meat.

According to vegetarians, I think the majority would consider fish meat but there are some that will eat fish but not chicken, beef, lamb, etc.

SilverGhostStar

MBTI Type
INFP
I would say that, yes, fish is a meat. Seafood or not. >.> Fish are animals. When eating the musculature of any other animal, it is meat. We eat the fish's muscles. :3 It seems to run along the same lines. So, meat. Yes. I will stick with that.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to the dictionary, meat is the flesh of an animal consumed as food. Since fish are animals, the flesh of fish is considered meat.

According to Catholics, fish is not meat.

According to vegetarians, I think the majority would consider fish meat but there are some that will eat fish but not chicken, beef, lamb, etc.
Part of that is that the Bible does not define "animals" the same way we do. "Animals" or "beasts" are basically land vertebrates. Birds "(fowl") and fish are considered separately. So "meats" usually does refer to land mammals, though for some reason bird flesh was included too. Fish was different enough that it became a separately category in itself.
I think even in the rabbinic kosher laws (which often go way beyond what the scriptures actually say), the separation of "meat" from milk (which stems from an isolated verse saying not to boil a kid in his mother's milk) I believe even extends to poultry. (Now how could a bird have a cow as its mother, for that command to be anywhere near violated?!)

Philosorapteuse

right on the left wing
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes. But the taste and texture of most fish is such that I don't think of it as meat. It's... fish. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ill assume you mean for vegetarian/vegan purposes, since the question just got a "Quoi!?" from me instantly.

I think it is considered a meat.. many vegetarians that eat fish eat vegetables for the sake of health and personal nutrition and monetary savings moreso than for feeling guilty about eating animals.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
They're not mammals, so people say no, but they are living breathing (albeit under water) creatures, so to me, yes.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meat is defined as tasty animals. Fish are tasty animals. Therefore, fish are meat.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol. Yes.

As are the various crustaceans, enchinoderms and molluscs that fall under the umbrella term of "seafood."

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. But the taste and texture of most fish is such that I don't think of it as meat. It's... fish. :D
That's probably the ultimate reason fish is not considered meat, but poultry is.