User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default We figured out the universe. What happen?

    Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

    When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

    Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
    Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
    Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #2
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    If figured that out, we'd create another universe. Or escape to another, if there is such a thing. That one might operate by new laws.. then you learn all over again. I'm sure by the time we figured out the "universe", you'd have enough knowledge to harness the power of it and do these things.

  3. #3
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    But how would you create an unknow law, if you are the one that creates it, and by definition, you know all possible causes and effects?

    To approach the idea from a more realistic point of view:

    What are our reasons for reaching understanding, if the ultimate result can only be seen as negative.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  4. #4
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    But how would you create an unknow law, if you are the one that creates it, and by definition, you know all possible causes and effects?
    We'd only know all the possible causes and effects within the confines of space-time and the interaction of chemical elements. To understand all of this is to understand an even greater law/event that caused that to take shape in it's current form. To understand it is to go back before the time of the Big Bang. The laws that were harnessed in the Big Bang are a mystery - they go beyond our universe's laws, and are the one time even the Speed of Light was broken. The universe multiplied 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times in a fraction of a second. None of this even makes sense given what we know about the universe. To understand it is to go beyond the universe. We'd be playing a different game at this point. The universe just becomes one thing out of many to understand. In actuality though, it wouldn't be that you were creating an unknown law per se so much as discovering new ones that were always there.

  5. #5
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

    When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

    Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
    Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
    Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?
    I doubt this would happen.

    And even if you answer all the scientific mysteries in the world you still haven't discovered your next favorite restaurant or vacation spot or talked to that cute girl who caught your eye at the grocery store or tried out surfing. Basically life is an adventure and a mystery because of the unknown snd adventure of discovering other people and experiences.

    So, having the universes mysteries answered doesnt really change that. We experience the universe in a microcosmic level.

    Also, unless you add prescience into the mix, your definition of "all knowing" isn't enough knowing to put a damper on the possibility of knowing the ending of every book and movie that will ever be made, whether you did the experiment correctly, whether you'll beat traffic if you leave now, etc. definitely lots of room for uncertainty.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  6. #6
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Will humankind still be around to see complete understanding of the universe?

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If figured that out, we'd create another universe. Or escape to another, if there is such a thing. That one might operate by new laws.. then you learn all over again. I'm sure by the time we figured out the "universe", you'd have enough knowledge to harness the power of it and do these things.
    I'm guessing that's what would happen if we don't go extinct first.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  7. #7
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    I would say the ultimate point is not knowledge, but more complex being that comes with experience. This can never end because being changes as you connect (or not) on the fly. However, perhaps it is possible that the universe is an undefined boundary and as we learn to perceive differently our recognition of the boundary shifts perpetually.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  8. #8
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,933

    Default

    People would find alternative ways to alienate themselves from reality and nothing would really change.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    If there is nothing left for us to discover, there will still always be more room for us to create, which we could do to greater avail with greater knowledge, hence we would jump from scientists to engineers.

  10. #10
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    If there is nothing left for us to discover, there will still always be more room for us to create, which we could do to greater avail with greater knowledge, hence we would jump from scientists to engineers.

    I like this.

Similar Threads

  1. Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: What Happened?
    By asynartetic in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 03:40 PM
  2. Can we finally figure out what type I am?
    By Grublet in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
  3. So I'm trying to figure out the appeal...
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
  4. Curious INTx trying to figure out the "x" part
    By Fuent in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 01:36 AM
  5. What happens to the young artists?
    By raincrow007 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 01:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO