User Tag List

123 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Default We figured out the universe. What happen?

Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
    Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
    Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

If figured that out, we'd create another universe. Or escape to another, if there is such a thing. That one might operate by new laws.. then you learn all over again. I'm sure by the time we figured out the "universe", you'd have enough knowledge to harness the power of it and do these things.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

But how would you create an unknow law, if you are the one that creates it, and by definition, you know all possible causes and effects?

To approach the idea from a more realistic point of view:

What are our reasons for reaching understanding, if the ultimate result can only be seen as negative.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    But how would you create an unknow law, if you are the one that creates it, and by definition, you know all possible causes and effects?
    We'd only know all the possible causes and effects within the confines of space-time and the interaction of chemical elements. To understand all of this is to understand an even greater law/event that caused that to take shape in it's current form. To understand it is to go back before the time of the Big Bang. The laws that were harnessed in the Big Bang are a mystery - they go beyond our universe's laws, and are the one time even the Speed of Light was broken. The universe multiplied 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times in a fraction of a second. None of this even makes sense given what we know about the universe. To understand it is to go beyond the universe. We'd be playing a different game at this point. The universe just becomes one thing out of many to understand. In actuality though, it wouldn't be that you were creating an unknown law per se so much as discovering new ones that were always there.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
    Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
    Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?
    I doubt this would happen.

And even if you answer all the scientific mysteries in the world you still haven't discovered your next favorite restaurant or vacation spot or talked to that cute girl who caught your eye at the grocery store or tried out surfing. Basically life is an adventure and a mystery because of the unknown snd adventure of discovering other people and experiences.

So, having the universes mysteries answered doesnt really change that. We experience the universe in a microcosmic level.

Also, unless you add prescience into the mix, your definition of "all knowing" isn't enough knowing to put a damper on the possibility of knowing the ending of every book and movie that will ever be made, whether you did the experiment correctly, whether you'll beat traffic if you leave now, etc. definitely lots of room for uncertainty.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Will humankind still be around to see complete understanding of the universe?

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If figured that out, we'd create another universe. Or escape to another, if there is such a thing. That one might operate by new laws.. then you learn all over again. I'm sure by the time we figured out the "universe", you'd have enough knowledge to harness the power of it and do these things.
    I'm guessing that's what would happen if we don't go extinct first.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I would say the ultimate point is not knowledge, but more complex being that comes with experience. This can never end because being changes as you connect (or not) on the fly. However, perhaps it is possible that the universe is an undefined boundary and as we learn to perceive differently our recognition of the boundary shifts perpetually.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

People would find alternative ways to alienate themselves from reality and nothing would really change.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

If there is nothing left for us to discover, there will still always be more room for us to create, which we could do to greater avail with greater knowledge, hence we would jump from scientists to engineers.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    If there is nothing left for us to discover, there will still always be more room for us to create, which we could do to greater avail with greater knowledge, hence we would jump from scientists to engineers.

I like this.