• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

We figured out the universe. What happen?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?

KDude

If figured that out, we'd create another universe. Or escape to another, if there is such a thing. That one might operate by new laws.. then you learn all over again. I'm sure by the time we figured out the "universe", you'd have enough knowledge to harness the power of it and do these things.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But how would you create an unknow law, if you are the one that creates it, and by definition, you know all possible causes and effects?

To approach the idea from a more realistic point of view:

What are our reasons for reaching understanding, if the ultimate result can only be seen as negative.

KDude

But how would you create an unknow law, if you are the one that creates it, and by definition, you know all possible causes and effects?

We'd only know all the possible causes and effects within the confines of space-time and the interaction of chemical elements. To understand all of this is to understand an even greater law/event that caused that to take shape in it's current form. To understand it is to go back before the time of the Big Bang. The laws that were harnessed in the Big Bang are a mystery - they go beyond our universe's laws, and are the one time even the Speed of Light was broken. The universe multiplied 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times in a fraction of a second. None of this even makes sense given what we know about the universe. To understand it is to go beyond the universe. We'd be playing a different game at this point. The universe just becomes one thing out of many to understand. In actuality though, it wouldn't be that you were creating an unknown law per se so much as discovering new ones that were always there.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?

I doubt this would happen.

And even if you answer all the scientific mysteries in the world you still haven't discovered your next favorite restaurant or vacation spot or talked to that cute girl who caught your eye at the grocery store or tried out surfing. Basically life is an adventure and a mystery because of the unknown snd adventure of discovering other people and experiences.

So, having the universes mysteries answered doesnt really change that. We experience the universe in a microcosmic level.

Also, unless you add prescience into the mix, your definition of "all knowing" isn't enough knowing to put a damper on the possibility of knowing the ending of every book and movie that will ever be made, whether you did the experiment correctly, whether you'll beat traffic if you leave now, etc. definitely lots of room for uncertainty.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Will humankind still be around to see complete understanding of the universe?

If figured that out, we'd create another universe. Or escape to another, if there is such a thing. That one might operate by new laws.. then you learn all over again. I'm sure by the time we figured out the "universe", you'd have enough knowledge to harness the power of it and do these things.

I'm guessing that's what would happen if we don't go extinct first.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would say the ultimate point is not knowledge, but more complex being that comes with experience. This can never end because being changes as you connect (or not) on the fly. However, perhaps it is possible that the universe is an undefined boundary and as we learn to perceive differently our recognition of the boundary shifts perpetually.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People would find alternative ways to alienate themselves from reality and nothing would really change.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If there is nothing left for us to discover, there will still always be more room for us to create, which we could do to greater avail with greater knowledge, hence we would jump from scientists to engineers.

S

Society

philosophically speaking: what now? the entire goal of humanity is a complete understanding of particle physics? :p

if your questioning the future of the scientific community beyond that, that is a much more interesting matter IMO. i think if that happens, the social drive for better understandings behind science isn't going to go anywhere, and if we have one theory that explains everything, younger scientists will come up with parallels, and with no new predictions to make, it will come down to bickering over natural philosophy, logic, various versions of Occum's razor and the questioning of it completely, and with no proof to go by, will most likely end up competing on various social and psychological appeals, possibly ones that touch us on such deep emotional levels, seem so obvious once understood, that we might find it hard to not become appalled and even offended by mentalities that rejects the ones that speaks most dearly to us.

KDude

philosophically speaking: what now? the entire goal of humanity is a complete understanding of particle physics? :p

if your questioning the future of the scientific community beyond that, that is a much more interesting matter IMO. i think if that happens, the social drive for better understandings behind science isn't going to go anywhere, and if we have one theory that explains everything, younger scientists will come up with parallels, and with no new predictions to make, it will come down to bickering over natural philosophy, logic, various versions of Occum's razor and the questioning of it completely, and with no proof to go by, will most likely end up competing on various social and psychological appeals, possibly ones that touch us on such deep emotional levels, seem so obvious once understood, that we might find it hard to not become appalled and even offended by mentalities that rejects the ones that speaks most dearly to us.

I didn't read it as understanding the universe by finding a "theory".. but actual discovery. Which in turn would lead to harnessing power on an inconcievable scale. Practically making us gods, according to this universe's terms.

Maybe there'd still be plenty to figure out socially and psychologically speaking though. If we were gods, maybe we'd be petty like the Greek gods. Our own myths would become reality.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The entire goal, no. The ultimate one, perhaps.

Ofcourse some people have said that mankind is not one consciousness, that people are fleeting and knowledge is transcending. Which is ofcourse true. I might have been too hasty with the absolution of this idea.

Still, even so, the perspective of a God is the ideal perspective of men. Power, knowledge, wisdom. Raptorwizards comment I quite like. Creation, that would seem the logical next step. But as a people, as an identity, without room to grow or exand. Is it really desirable? I'm of opinion that it is not. I pity those that achieve this.

I pity the Gods. For they have so little to live for.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

I think you are working under the assumption that all people are interested in the mysteries of the universe, while most of them just want to make enough money to be left alone to do what they always wanted - namely get laid, get wasted, and then brag about getting laid and wasted. And then when they get "too old for that shit" they just want to maintain the status quo because new shit scares them.

So what I'm trying to say here - don't worry about it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you are working under the assumption that all people are interested in the mysteries of the universe, while most of them just want to make enough money to be left alone to do what they always wanted - namely get laid, get wasted, and then brag about getting laid and wasted. And then when they get "too old for that shit" they just want to maintain the status quo because new shit scares them.

So what I'm trying to say here - don't worry about it.

Not going to happen, I know. :tongue:

But don't worry, it's not something I worry about. INTP's don't worry much, they just think alot about random unimportant crap. :D

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not going to happen, I know. :tongue:

But don't worry, it's not something I worry about. INTP's don't worry much, they just think alot about random unimportant crap. :D

I bet you're days behind on completing all those menial tasks that your ESFJ supervisor assigned you.
So get cracking you INTP bum before you get fired from that coveted minimum wage job.

EDIT: You can get fired in Europe, right? If not, carry on.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bet you're days behind on completing all those menial tasks that your ESFJ supervisor assigned you.
So get cracking you INTP bum before you get fired from that coveted minimum wage job.

Phew, that would suck. Luckily I am the employer so I don't have to worry about that stuff as long as the numbers are good. :tongue:

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
We won't because we can't. There is always more to discover.

Yes, and it would have no more or less "empirical value" than before.

No, yes ... wait, no. What?

No -- non-sequitur.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We won't because we can't. There is always more to discover.

Yes, and it would have no more or less "empirical value" than before.

No, yes ... wait, no. What?

No -- non-sequitur.

This is why it is posted in the philosophy topic, and not the science topic. :alttongue: