User Tag List

First 123 Last

Society

philosophically speaking: what now? the entire goal of humanity is a complete understanding of particle physics? :p

if your questioning the future of the scientific community beyond that, that is a much more interesting matter IMO. i think if that happens, the social drive for better understandings behind science isn't going to go anywhere, and if we have one theory that explains everything, younger scientists will come up with parallels, and with no new predictions to make, it will come down to bickering over natural philosophy, logic, various versions of Occum's razor and the questioning of it completely, and with no proof to go by, will most likely end up competing on various social and psychological appeals, possibly ones that touch us on such deep emotional levels, seem so obvious once understood, that we might find it hard to not become appalled and even offended by mentalities that rejects the ones that speaks most dearly to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    philosophically speaking: what now? the entire goal of humanity is a complete understanding of particle physics? :p

if your questioning the future of the scientific community beyond that, that is a much more interesting matter IMO. i think if that happens, the social drive for better understandings behind science isn't going to go anywhere, and if we have one theory that explains everything, younger scientists will come up with parallels, and with no new predictions to make, it will come down to bickering over natural philosophy, logic, various versions of Occum's razor and the questioning of it completely, and with no proof to go by, will most likely end up competing on various social and psychological appeals, possibly ones that touch us on such deep emotional levels, seem so obvious once understood, that we might find it hard to not become appalled and even offended by mentalities that rejects the ones that speaks most dearly to us.
    I didn't read it as understanding the universe by finding a "theory".. but actual discovery. Which in turn would lead to harnessing power on an inconcievable scale. Practically making us gods, according to this universe's terms.

Maybe there'd still be plenty to figure out socially and psychologically speaking though. If we were gods, maybe we'd be petty like the Greek gods. Our own myths would become reality.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post

The entire goal, no. The ultimate one, perhaps.

Ofcourse some people have said that mankind is not one consciousness, that people are fleeting and knowledge is transcending. Which is ofcourse true. I might have been too hasty with the absolution of this idea.

Still, even so, the perspective of a God is the ideal perspective of men. Power, knowledge, wisdom. Raptorwizards comment I quite like. Creation, that would seem the logical next step. But as a people, as an identity, without room to grow or exand. Is it really desirable? I'm of opinion that it is not. I pity those that achieve this.

I pity the Gods. For they have so little to live for.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?

When there is nothing left for us to discover, our roles would be much different.

Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
    Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
    Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?
    I think you are working under the assumption that all people are interested in the mysteries of the universe, while most of them just want to make enough money to be left alone to do what they always wanted - namely get laid, get wasted, and then brag about getting laid and wasted. And then when they get "too old for that shit" they just want to maintain the status quo because new shit scares them.

So what I'm trying to say here - don't worry about it.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I think you are working under the assumption that all people are interested in the mysteries of the universe, while most of them just want to make enough money to be left alone to do what they always wanted - namely get laid, get wasted, and then brag about getting laid and wasted. And then when they get "too old for that shit" they just want to maintain the status quo because new shit scares them.

So what I'm trying to say here - don't worry about it.
    Not going to happen, I know.

But don't worry, it's not something I worry about. INTP's don't worry much, they just think alot about random unimportant crap.

MBTI
    INTJ

Not going to happen, I know.

But don't worry, it's not something I worry about. INTP's don't worry much, they just think alot about random unimportant crap.
    I bet you're days behind on completing all those menial tasks that your ESFJ supervisor assigned you.
    So get cracking you INTP bum before you get fired from that coveted minimum wage job.

EDIT: You can get fired in Europe, right? If not, carry on.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I bet you're days behind on completing all those menial tasks that your ESFJ supervisor assigned you.
    So get cracking you INTP bum before you get fired from that coveted minimum wage job.
    Phew, that would suck. Luckily I am the employer so I don't have to worry about that stuff as long as the numbers are good.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

this is a scary thing to imagine.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ESFJ

Interested in philosophical debate about what would happen to mankind if we ever answer all questions and learn all the universe its secrets. What will we, as a race, do then?
    We won't because we can't. There is always more to discover.

Will we still be able to imagine possibility, even though we know it to not be true or hold any empyrical value?
    Yes, and it would have no more or less "empirical value" than before.

Will our lives and choices be governed by universal principle instead?
    No, yes ... wait, no. What?

Will subjectivity end, opinions crumble and 'the identity' dissappear?
    No -- non-sequitur.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    We won't because we can't. There is always more to discover.

Yes, and it would have no more or less "empirical value" than before.

No, yes ... wait, no. What?

No -- non-sequitur.
    This is why it is posted in the philosophy topic, and not the science topic.