First 123

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    there are a few ted talks on this that come to mind, i'll post them when i'm on my computer.
    Brave Neuro World series?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Brave Neuro World series?
    Yes actually. [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU"]Stroke of Insight by Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor[/YOUTUBE]
    is one, but others about consciousness also. They've probably been posted on other threads but I can't recall which.
    See, where they refer to definitions from academia [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGF9NbPFfRo"]Google consciousness[/YOUTUBE]
    and this one one [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyEjh6ef_8"]quantum biology[/YOUTUBE].
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Yes actually. [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU"]Stroke of Insight by Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor[/YOUTUBE]
    is one, but others about consciousness also. They've probably been posted on other threads but I can't recall which.
    See, where they refer to definitions from academia [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGF9NbPFfRo"]Google consciousness[/YOUTUBE]
    and this one one [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyEjh6ef_8"]quantum biology[/YOUTUBE].
    I haven't gotten through the whole series but I love the stroke one! I'm always especially interested in the right brain vs. left brain stuff... that if taking away the whole left side we'd all feel like the world/ universe is like this one magical connected being, kind of takes away the whole idea of individual. I wonder if all left sided stroke victims feel that way... No one seems to talk about it yet there aren't a lot of neuroscientists out there studying their own stroke... I want to read the Stroke of Insight book, my mom keeps wanting to lend it to me, right up my alley. I'll watch the other two later.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Ginkgo

"Something produces thoughts" is the most "self"-evident statement there is; this is what Descartes meant. He wasn't referring to the identity. "I", in this case, refers to a fixed state of being that acts out different thoughts. Paradoxically, this serves as an all-inclusive worldview, while, if taken to the extreme, lacks any further definition. If it lacks any further definition, then any other selves (as someone was talking about earlier) are only thought of or experienced, rather than being the subject of belief. Since beliefs and doubts are experiential thoughts themselves, solipsism doesn't serve as a reason not to function as we normally would. It isn't even a reason to doubt. It's simply a proof of existence: an argument that accounts for all a priori knowledge and what is always deduced from that knowledge.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    "Something produces thoughts" is the most "self"-evident statement there is; this is what Descartes meant. He wasn't referring to the identity. "I", in this case, refers to a fixed state of being that acts out different thoughts. Paradoxically, this serves as an all-inclusive worldview, while, if taken to the extreme, lacks any further definition. If it lacks any further definition, then any other selves (as someone was talking about earlier) are only thought of or experienced, rather than being the subject of belief. Since beliefs and doubts are experiential thoughts themselves, solipsism doesn't serve as a reason not to function as we normally would. It isn't even a reason to doubt. It's simply a proof of existence: an argument that accounts for all a priori knowledge and what is always deduced from that knowledge.
    Innocent question: why wouldn't there be one Self, as opposed to selves?
    Random fact: This thread, as it has evolved, reminds me of the M-theory.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    We know it's in our brain because we don't think out of our butt.
    ya decided i wouldn't read past that. define consciousness
    1+1=3 OMFG

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's interesting that he actually made a profound point, but in a typically pilkington inarticulate sounding way. Love him anyhow!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.