User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What do you think is the measure of a good man?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Don't you think this is just human nature? If people don't seek power via religion or politics, they're going to do it via business. These people will always exist in society, and it's a matter of finding a balance.

It's also not just about power: some people really have such strong ideological moralities that they really want to "protect their tribe" so to speak, and believe being morally closed is safe.

I think we're having a battle with biology, quite frankly.
    Rather than being a battle with biology, WW II was a war between totalitarianism and liberal democracy. And thank God liberal democracy won and gave us the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948.

However 57 Islamic States have publicly and openly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as being incompatible with totalitarian Islam.

I suppose this question could be answered in a variety of ways, even from one perspective. This first thing we have to look at is what do you believe to be good? I'm sure the dictionary would have a defininition but is that definition based on a bunch of votes or one persons oppinion? If you asked me I would tell you that it really comes down to integrity. If you asked me what integrity looks like to me, I would say integrity is about doing the right things for the right reasons. But then the question would be, what is the right thing and what are the right reasons.. Good question..

F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    7w8 sx/so

about seven inches.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly."
    - time enough for love

4w3 sx/so

I believe that the measure of a good man/woman is his/her struggle to be good.

So goodness involves two elements: a. "bad" instinctual behavior b. "good" morals that are strong enough to override a more violent nature.

I do think that some people are instinctively good - that is, they naturally have socially desirable virtues like kindness, empathy, fortitude, resiliency. But unless they have any demons to fight, they are "good" in a vacuum. By default. To me, that's not goodness. That's Captain America. It's excellent for society, which bursts with rewards for such a human, but such an advantaged nature isn't goodness itself.

But neither is the more corrupt nature that aspires to goodness but lacks the strength to attain it. That's more obvious.

I suppose, if you boil it down, it's about strength. The strength to bite back what your blood boils to do, because you know it's wrong. And insight: the insight to realize that you need to graft morality onto your person because you weren't born with any too much.

//whoa, intense. sorry guys. it may be that I've given this...uh...too much thought. critique welcome. awesome question, OP.