User Tag List

12311 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default Thoughts on Suicide

Merge if necessary.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this concept were, I believe I'll start. Don't be shy, I don't want this to be a 'Your heartless because you aren't as dramatically affected by it as I am!'

I know some view it as cowardice and I understand the reasoning behind such a belief, but I don't wish to ignore the reason why someone commits suicide and so I say that the choice is the persons, and if they saw it fit to do so then it was their choice. They are gone and seeing as you can't undo it, to me, it's hard to judge that. I do not have any personal experience with it though so I don't know how I'd truly react to such an occurrence. This is a rather somber topic, I know, but it has been on my mind.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 10-04-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: MERGED

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Don't do it under any circumstances.

No matter what, this too shall pass. Seriously. Think of how sad everyone you know would be, even if its not you, anyone contemplating this.

You had no say as to when or even if you showed up here, and that's how it goes for your departure.

Capice?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Don't do it under any circumstances.

No matter what, this too shall pass. Seriously. Think of how sad everyone you know would be, even if its not you, anyone contemplating this.

You had no say as to when or even if you showed up here, and that's how it goes for your departure.

Capice?
    When I have contemplated what it would be like that is what stops me from going anywhere near the next step. However, I always thought it strange to imagine if atheism was correct. If it is then even if you did you wouldn't realize anything had happened and so the thought of effecting anyone around you ceases to exist after that threshold. I don't plan on it.

A window to the soul

Halla, ReflecttcelfeR, good thoughts. I have nothing to add, except for maybe some reasons to live that I came up with. Here's a link to the list from another thread,
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...62-post12.html

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    Halla, ReflecttcelfeR, good thoughts. I have nothing to add, except for maybe some reasons to live that I came up with. Here's a link to the list from another thread,
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...62-post12.html
    Very true, and very beautiful because of that.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    When I have contemplated what it would be like that is what stops me from going anywhere near the next step.
    Good!

However, I always thought it strange to imagine if atheism was correct.
    Total Understanding of the Universe - Science = Spirituality

Science will NEVER describe the Universe in Total

Therefore Spirituality exists, and Aethesim is shite.

The law of conservation of energy states that energy is never destroyed, and that it only changes forms. So, tell me then dear friend, if you were to be cloned perfectly, would you have two states of consciousness? No. Furthermore, if you are alive, and your body does, the amount of elements/compounds in your system's tissues is relatively the same immediately after deat, BUT you have no LIFE, you are not conscious, YOU are ELSEWHERE, because YOU CHANGED FORM.

If it is then even if you did you wouldn't realize anything had happened and so the thought of effecting anyone around you ceases to exist after that threshold.
    This is RUBBISH. Just because you are no longer, doesn;t mean your Mother isn't crying her heart out after hearing that her baby boy is dead on the floor of his kitchen after blowing his brains out with a .45 caliber. See how that works? You are no longer, Mommy is devastated. That is SELFISH and RECKLESS behavior. Wait until you have kids. Try and tell me you think its OK for a parent to tuck their kids in bed, and then go blow their brains out, and not provide for them, protect them, love them, and raise them, just because the parent was having a bad time. Not cool, not by me, sorry. I'm not hating, just stating my views.

I don't plan on it.
    Good, you're smarter than that, and you have alot to live for, like putting up with my shit here from time to time.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    yupp

I wanted to post a meaningful post here, but all i can come up with is for me it's complicated. which is why i haven't offed myself yet, its just complicated. my own suicide, other people's etc, it's just really confusing and complicated.I'll admit I had a particularly bad night last week and i was really close to hanging myself, but something stopped me. I had the chance but I didn't want to, i felt i needed to but I just didn't want to.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Merge if necessary.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this concept were, I believe I'll start. Don't be shy, I don't want this to be a 'Your heartless because you aren't as dramatically affected by it as I am!'

I know some view it as cowardice and I understand the reasoning behind such a belief, but I don't wish to ignore the reason why someone commits suicide and so I say that the choice is the persons, and if they saw it fit to do so then it was their choice. They are gone and seeing as you can't undo it, to me, it's hard to judge that. I do not have any personal experience with it though so I don't know how I'd truly react to such an occurrence. This is a rather somber topic, I know, but it has been on my mind.
    Suicide was a big thing for me back when I was going through my depression. No one around me could understand why I felt the way that I did and I didn't (nor could I) expect them too: They weren't feeling what I was feeling, they weren't dealing with what I was dealing with.

Not that that makes it justified or ok. It is, without a doubt, a selfish act or decision. The problem with the person who is considering it though is that they are so absorbed by their own pain/grief that they can't understand this this too will pass.

If you know someone who is seriously thinking about killing themselves, the only thing you can do is try to offer encouragement/support and to get them to seek professional help.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I lived in a community where suicide was an epidemic. In many cases, one suicide set off several more. Many of the kids I taught had parents who had committed suicide or close relatives. One found his cousin hanging from a tree just outside his granny's house. Another found her dad hanging in a closet after he and her mum had a fight. She was the only other person at home. She was 13. In all cases, it changed their lives forever. I understand how the people experiencing those feelings don't see that it will get better or can't see just how deeply it will affect other people around them, but it truly does. Even now, I have at least one former student a week on Facebook that verbalizes their wish to kill themselves. Last week one with a baby girl tried and fortunately her boyfriend came to her house just in time to save her.

My cousin has a wife with a degenerative disease. She was depressed and decided she was a burden and tried to kill herself, not seeing that leaving two young boys with no mother and my cousin to do it all himself was selfish and short-sighted. After one unsuccessful attempt my cousin's childhood friend just committed suicide a month ago. I think it really shook his wife up to see how deeply he was affected by his friends death, what guilt and sadness it left and what an aching pain from the loss. I don't think she had thought about how her death would have affected all those people. The friend had even done everything he could to make the peopel close to him feel at peace about their last exchange with him, he made sure they were well cared for financially and he even made sure that no one except the police would have to discover or deal with his body, which was considerate in that sense, but still it has changed all of their lives forever.

A childhood friend of mine discovered her brother when she was a teenager - he had shot himself in the basement. Two decades later, she still thinks about it and it affects her every day.

My brother-in-law tried to kill himself on grad night. Fortunately he was unsuccessful, but even now, my sister is afraid to leave him for even a day in case something like that should happen.

Please - if you are ever considering doing this, remember that whether it feels like it or not, there is help out there for you and things will get better. Other people need you and your life is not solely your own to do with as you please. It may just seem like a peaceful escape, that you are tired of fighting, that no one cares, that it is a way to get revenge or to see if anyone did care, but it is selfish and the damage is very far-reaching and very long term. There are more people out there who care than you may realize or be able to feel at this time. Don't rob the world of the good you could have left in it or the changes for good that you could effect. The worst will pass and things will look different again.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've known several people who committed suicide. Lots. More than my fair share probably, though fortunately I was only very close to one of them. I would say for three of those people they should have hung in there...if they would have only sought help, got therapy...something.

In the fourth case, I hate to say it, but the woman suffered terribly for many years and so did her family, and in that instance it was more of almost a rational end to suffering.

I'm not pro-suicide or anything and 99% of the time I say that IT IS DEFINITELY NOT THE ANSWER but in extreme cases of suffering, terminal illness, and profoundly horrid circumstances...I also think mercy killing is moral, and I consider that 1% of "rational" suicides moral.

A person has to be in a great deal of pain either way, so I definitely don't judge them.