• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is suicide justified?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I wouldn't use words suicide and justified in the same sentence. I don't think anybody who commints suicide is emotionally nor mentally balanced or in "normal state" so suicide is, in my opinion, always a state of "exception" and a "mall-function in brain" caused by depression or other mental illness and therefore a suicide ís not justified in any case, it's just something that happens, and something that should not happen.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Suicide: the one choice you can't regret

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This is purely individual and subjective.

For example I wouldn't commit suicide right now because what have the people who appear to love me done to me that I should hurt them in this way?

That's the thing about death of any kind, the true sufferers are those left behind.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
When is suicide justified? when is it "ok" to take your own life? how much personal suffering should you have to endure from the world or how much suffering do you have to create in the world for suicide to be justified? discuss.

I think it is always justified. People should be free to make their own decisions regarding how to live (or end) their lives. It will affect others, no doubt, but you are the one that has to live your life, after all.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This would be the only form of suicide I would be ok with, but even then, just maybe. Years go by though, things change, new stuff pops into your life old stuff flies out of your life, and usually, if stuff cant get any worse, it gets better. If you kill yourself, you don't know what you're missing in the future because there's no way to look into the future and see the best moment of your life that hasn't happened yet.

What if you killed yourself in highschool? Think of all the stuff in your life that you would've missed. It may have seemed like a good idea at the time but time goes by, life changes, and a lot of stuff happens that you wouldn't miss for the world. Now imagine yourself 10 years in the future thinking about it. That is why suicide is NEVER justified or worth it.

W

WALMART

What the fudge does justified even mean, in this context?

One has the right to end their life prematurely, regardless of situation.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ

Not only that but I think this invasion of people's personal inner space and setting down rules and criticisms is part of what can make someone feel trapped enough to go off and take a bunch of people with them.

There's better ways to handle this than portraying people as faulty - especially in ways that some might interpret to be controlling or passive aggressive.

yeghor

It's a combination of religious mores and financial interests. Suicide/assisted suicide is highly frowned upon in Christianity, which is ingrained in the American culture, so that's one thing. As for financial interests: a hospital can easily make more money from postponing an elderly person's death by 6 months than they could have from all other medical bills that that person incurred in their lifetime.* And considering that this is a highly emotional issue for a lot of people, it's quite easy to sway them against legalizing suicide.

*My brother works in oncology. He was telling me how they wheel in 80+ year old patients into a multi-million dollar machine to treat their cancer with radiation therapy.

If I was in my 80s with one foot in the grave, I'd rather enjoy a month of a fairly normal living than 6 months of being blasted with radiation and poisoned by chemo therapy. Fuck that shit.

Also, if I'm so messed up from Alzheimer's that I can't even remember my own goddamn name, I'd rather be dead.
Sometimes, it feels like I am just biding my time until the day I'll die. If I were in a situation where I am in constant need, or suffering, poverty or had poor quality of life, I think a means to painlessly push the quit game button could be a blessing to leave this world gracefully.

Death is not such a bad thing when you think about it, it's just an endless sleep that you never wake up from. It is hard on others cause it reminds them of their own mortality and traumatizes them emotionally as they miss your presence. So if at some point, life becomes miserable and I do not have anyone depending on me, I might prefer being chemically put to sleep.

I had a small operation once where I was put under anesthesia. One moment I was awake, the next moment I woke up on the operating table, and the time inbetween was just blank. I thought to myself "this must be what death's like".

It would be nice if they develop a vaccine gun or something that you could apply yourself in privacy. That can easily turn into an assassination weapon though.

I think the tension of being aware of one's mortality and the fear that comes with it becomes greater as one ages and people need something to keep them busy like children or grandchildren or hobbies to keep them from overthinking or becoming conscious about it. They also turn to religion and prayer to soothe their fears and anxieties. So it becomes mentally/emotionally taxing and also your body starts to ache and becomes frail.

So if I don't have anything that keeps me going or occupied, after some point, my life at old age might feel like desperately hanging on to the edge of a cliff, and I might just want to let go.

Why is there such a negative connotation attached to ending one's own life? What would happen if people committed suicide en masse? Would it throw other people into terror or hysteria?

Soylent Green

Last edited:

yeghor

So if I don't have anything that keeps me going or occupied, after some point, my life at old age might feel like desperately hanging on to the edge of a cliff, and I might just want to let go.
Thinking about it, it sounds a bit like checking out of the Matrix. Existence outside of the Matrix was not any better though.

yeghor

And I wonder how late Stephen Hawking has made it through, he lived a prettly miserable life.

1659605935039.png

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Of course. Bodily autonomy applies from your first breath to your last.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd only even consider it if I didn't have close ones who'd be ruined and likely need therapy afterwards.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If a person feels suicidal, and even if they feel no guilt, then that is the reality. Feeling a certain way means there has to be a cause that is meaningful in some way to the individual, or else those feelings wouldn't exist. Whether others disapprove of another's reason for suffering, or the suicidal feelings themselves, is irrelevant to the reality of what the suicidal person is experiencing. I think the feeling of wanting to die is not something that requires justification, since to me that implies the reason has to be good enough for other people. That doesn't mean for the suicidal person there isn't perspective to be gained that could change how they feel, which I find is usually the result of time and small life changes that lead to bigger life changes, rather than being persuaded intellectually.

Last edited: