• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is suicide justified?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3YF4XM6wE"]Louis CK's perspective is always important[/YOUTUBE]

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think morality has anything to do with it. Suicide is the result of an unfortunate situation, and is unfortunate for the other people involved. It is preferable in some situations to things like torture or a slow and painful death.

My ethics consist of being responsible for the consequences of your actions. Most people who commit suicide are being self focused and not thinking about what effect it will have on others, but it is worth considering. I would not judge suicide to be the "honorable" consequence of actions you have done, but accepting death by someone else may be. I would not judge anyone who did think it was honorable, especially if it was the custom in their culture (such as with the samurai); I just might think it was a bit excessive.

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
Suicide means you are making the overpopulation a lesser problem without disrespecting the integrity of other people. It's the ultimate unselfish act a person can make.

???? honorable and ethical?????? I know that this a free forum and every one is entiltled to their own opinion.... However, you guys have to be extra careful about the information that are being stated on this thread due to the sensetive nature of the topic. There are people here on this forum who maybe contempleting suicide and perhaps are looking for a "sign" or a favorable opinion to do that....

I am not suggesting that life does not suck sometimes, and is not unjust but we humans with our limited knowldge are not aware of the opposite of life which is "nothingness", as it may be more painful....

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
an inconsequential conversation. whether suicide is "justified" is going to be the last thing on the mind of someone seriously considering it

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
an inconsequential conversation. whether suicide is "justified" is going to be the last thing on the mind of someone seriously considering it

I have to disagree with you. There are many people who maybe consider taking their lives but due to religious reasons, or out of concern for their families... may not do that, but when they read threads such as this one, when some people are refrerring to suicide as a "noble and unselfish act", and some are literally justify the action by giving unlimtrd freedom to people over their own lives., then commiting suicide does not seem so morbid... and it even may seem "justfied"! is that the goal of this thread???

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
???? honorable and ethical?????? I know that this a free forum and every one is entiltled to their own opinion.... However, you guys have to be extra careful about the information that are being stated on this thread due to the sensetive nature of the topic. There are people here on this forum who maybe contempleting suicide and perhaps are looking for a "sign" or a favorable opinion to do that....
This subforum is for discussions, not for self help. I offered a perspective that is both logical and inconvenient. I was showing that is perfectly possible to defend that suicide can be considered a good thing from an ethical perspective (which, ofc, doesn't mean people who commit suicide are usually guided by ethical motives).
To your credit, you may have a point, so I'm gonna edit my post to clarify it.
I am not suggesting that life does not suck sometimes, and is not unjust but we humans with our limited knowldge are not aware of the opposite of life which is "nothingness", as it may be more painful....
le sigh

Darya

Enneagram
4w5
"To your credit, you may have a point, so I'm gonna edit my post to clarify it".

I appreciate your openess to others' opinions.. Such a great INTP quality..

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with this. Justification is relative and highly situational. There is no correct answer to the topic question, and even if there were it wouldn't change anything.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with this. Justification is relative, there is no correct answer to the topic question, and even if there was it wouldn't change anything.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh shit. Stop the presses, AphroditeGoneAwry has got the answer! No philosophical or linguistic conundrums for her! She doesn't have to think too hard about anything because she's got common sense, durr!

I just find it hard to believe people can't figure out what 'natural' means. If you could explain more in depth what you mean, that would be interesting (for me at least).

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's by the way. called the naturalist fallacy. you can google it.

Two things:

One, my main point with Orangey was that I find it odd that people cannot figure out what 'natural' is; that understanding why what is natural is so hard. And none of you seem to be answering me...

Two, you sort of make a leap into saying that what I've said falls under what is designated the 'naturalist fallacy.' I think there is room for discussion about if what I've even said could be defined as falling under that, and also just because Steven Pinker or someone else calls something a fallacy, doesn't necessarily mean it is. I mean, ideas and theories change all the time. I think it's an interesting topic in its own right and I've always been interested at our relationship with nature, and our attempt at dominating it unsuccessfully.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Good article.

Anyhow, I wonder if it could be justified (from a societal perspective) if the person commiting suicide has done many wrongs, and the world can be considered better off without that person. Like the types of suicides you often hear about them crazy people murdering their own family and then taking their own life. But then again, I can´t help but wonder that if they would kill themselves first, would it still be considered justifiable.

Either way, suicide is a cowardly way out, and until we become immortal and live forever, I can´t see it being ever truely justifiable.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This subforum is for discussions, not for self help. I offered a perspective that is both logical and inconvenient. I was showing that is perfectly possible to defend that suicide can be considered a good thing from an ethical perspective (which, ofc, doesn't mean people who commit suicide are usually guided by ethical motives).
To your credit, you may have a point, so I'm gonna edit my post to clarify it.
So, by extension, we should not discuss whether stealing, or murder, or cheating on your SO is ever justified lest someone take that as license to do it??? It is cowardly to be afraid of an idea, and pointless to try to take responsibility for the actions of others.