• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is suicide justified?

Lark

It's amazing what shift ones perspective can have with a bit of practical experience versus mental projections. :)

I've had terrible experience too Saturned, although my beliefs on certain topics are pretty hard and fast, this is one of them, there are only a few on which I cant waver but this is one of them.

Munchies

MBTI Type
XNXP
Enneagram
OMG
Instinctual Variant
sx
Let me re-word the question for you guys.

"Is there objective truth, according to our subjective perspectives"

The answer

"Subjective"

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I see suicide as morally "bad" more because of the effects it has on others than the effects it may have on oneself. Personally, I really don't have any problems with someone wanting to die sooner than they would otherwise. Your life is yours, and someone trying to tell you that you must sustain it is inherently violating your right to your self. However, suicide has extraordinarily traumatic effects on those around you, which is why I don't generally consider it as a viable option for anyone.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Suicide means you are making the overpopulation a lesser problem without disrespecting the integrity of other people. It's the ultimate unselfish act a person can make.

Thats silly. Unselfish assumes intent leading to the aforementioned. And statistically speaking suicide attempts (you cant really do a post hoc interview for the other ones) are not about being unselfish.

it sound pretty and all but all too much like the type of profound thought found in a jap anime meant for 14 year olds.

To give my opinion I dislike discussing suicide too much because the people who commit suicide are gone and its surely not going to help them.
The people who can get hurt by needlessly overdiscussing the topic in the absence of a trusting relationship etc certainly arent.

So doesnt always seem like its a worthwhile topic overall.
However I wouldnt be me if i completely censured myself in this matter.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't really care though. Though I do appreciate your input and kindness to observe and state.

And, no, there is a real acceptance of assholery in our society. Perhaps you haven't noticed. An absolutely abrasive guy can get away with being an ass, and as long as he's occasionally nice, then everyone is like, "Oh, he's really a gem." I think, in saying this, it's mostly Fi type women excusing T type men. Or Fi type women excusing T type women. F types cannot get away with being abrasive like T types can. It's like they get a free pass or something.

You know?

Then again aren't you dismissing the 'T' perspective here by assuming that people and how they feel is everything there is to consider?
Sometimes you can act in a way that makes everybody feel good and it leads to 'bad outcomes' people choose not to look at.

I'd rather be cold before being engaged than make choices based on shortsighted easy choices about internalized projection of someone else's feelings you do not know.
and if you say you do well. then look at how easy it was for you to just put 'T' types in the 'out group' to project your frustration through a stereotype and put 'F' types in the good team.

You might call that the 'you are being an asshole' seen from the 'T' side if we're still talking in cliches and projections. Welcome to the other side of the rainbow.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I believe when you deal with natural biological processes of life (and death), there is a way that is meant to be. Of course, since we have higher level thinking and free will, we might try to change this reality to effect an outcome we might deem superior. But a million years of evolution is hard to better. So there is a way that is more 'meant to be.' And that is the way most rooted in nature. Ask yourself how would this happen in nature, or in the most natural way possible, and you will likely find the answer for the best outcome.

EDIT: And I think you, or others, are taking my opinion as proselytizing. I am not expecting, nor trying, to change anyone's mind. Which is why I often use the terms 'my opinion,' 'I believe,' or etc. Why do you view it at trying to convert?

That's one of the most amoral things I've heard coming from someone whom I don't consider to be so ethically retarded as to be irrelevant (yet worrying in a democratic system).
It's natural to die in wars then
It's natural to die of a damn cold after decades of life?
It's natural to die of old age because that's the right balance of change in culture and genotype to race against the environmental changes while taking in and passing enough knowledge to make the slow development to adulthood and slow accumulation of skills worthwhile?
Is there any goodness in a scale being balanced?
Is there really any goodness in decay just for the sake of perpetuating a cycle which doesnt make any sense nowadays given that we are gaining the ability to replace the very same nature that has condemned us to death, sickness and decay for the sake of a fucking competition for resources in an environment with changing parameters?

Or do you just pick and choose what is natural based not on the actual numbers but on what you think agrees with your theory of what should be? Then why is there even a universe, we were so much better in the good old days in a soup of electrons, in the cosmological dark ages.

ARE YOU FOR REAL ?

Last edited:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The more interesting question is: When is it justified to bring a new life into this world knowing that it will suffer?

When is it justified not having as many children as possible knowing that you are denying your offspring pleasure?

Is your highest priority to avoid suffering?

Suicide:
I think killing yourself over internal pain is different from killing yourself because of external terminal pain.

First is not justified because life changes drastically, second can be justified.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then again aren't you dismissing the 'T' perspective here by assuming that people and how they feel is everything there is to consider?
Sometimes you can act in a way that makes everybody feel good and it leads to 'bad outcomes' people choose not to look at.

I'd rather be cold before being engaged than make choices based on shortsighted easy choices about internalized projection of someone else's feelings you do not know.
and if you say you do well. then look at how easy it was for you to just put 'T' types in the 'out group' to project your frustration through a stereotype and put 'F' types in the good team.

You might call that the 'you are being an asshole' seen from the 'T' side if we're still talking in cliches and projections. Welcome to the other side of the rainbow.

I'm not sure what you are meaning here. I'm stereotyping, yes, that some people--esp T types perhaps--can get away with being brusque and blunt in general society more easily than F types can....and this extends to men as well. People doing the 'excusing' don't realize they are making allowances for 'T types' as most do not know typology. But there does seem to be a consensus that it's easier to tolerate chronic rudeness in our society than emo bursts of rudeness or assertiveness, and it's almost admired when harsh 'T types' are nice, versus an overall niceness and warmth of 'F types.' If that is too stereotypical for you, just sub in harsh person for nice person in place of T type and F type, respectively. :devil: In other words, it's cool to say the rude guy is really 'nice' underneath it all.

Am I the only one who's run in to this phenomenon?

That's one of the most amoral things I've heard coming from someone who I don't consider to be so ethically retarded as to be irrelevant (yet worrying in a democratic system).
It's natural to die in wars then
It's natural to die of a damn cold after decades of life?
It's natural to die of old age because that's the right balance of change in culture and genotype to race against the environmental changes while taking in and passing enough knowledge not make the slow development to adulthood and slow accumulation of skills worthwhile?
Is there any goodness in a scale being balanced?
Is there really any goodness in decay just for the sake of perpetuating a cycle which doesnt make any sense nowadays given that we are gaining the ability to replace the very same nature that has condemned us to death, sickness and decay for the sake of a fucking competition for resources in an environment with changing parameters?

I'm not sure what you are arguing for here. It is natural, and best for most, to die a natural death is my main assertion. Why is that so confusing? Hell, we are so effed up we don't even know how to die anymore. There used to be a ritual when someone died and now our ritual is to pump him full of chemicals before he dies, then pump him full of chemicals after he dies as well. And in the meantime, to put him out of his misery. lol.

Or do you just pick and choose what is natural based not on the actual numbers but on what you think agrees with your theory of what should be? Then why is there even a universe, we were so much better in the good old days in a soup of electrons, in the cosmological dark ages.

ARE YOU FOR REAL ?

Aww come on now Baby. It's relatively easy to know what is natural, no? Of course we have free will to alter nature, which is what we do. I'm just saying I rarely think that makes things better. And don't worry, we will return to that soupy energy soon enough. But I'll be there with you, so no worries. :hug:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
intent is subjective.
Screw intent, I was measuring the act per se. Besides, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
anymore humorous tidbits to share with the rest of us ?
Thanks for asking, that's it for today.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
that's called contrast. If people's expectations are low they are going to assume that anything merely normal or '+' is amazing. if they are otherly biased in wanting attention or something from that person they will develop something which probably isn't totally psychologically alien from what happens to hostage victims when they side with the captor.
It's either amusing or really sad. but thats immaturity for ya.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Aww come on now Baby. It's relatively easy to know what is natural, no? Of course we have free will to alter nature, which is what we do. I'm just saying I rarely think that makes things better. And don't worry, we will return to that soupy energy soon enough. But I'll be there with you, so no worries.
'you' wont be anywhere. Neither will 'I' according to current models. (i mean the serious ones that dont mention unicorns and dads in the sky)

wakie wakie. this isn't a fairy tale. everything isn't going to be alright in the end. and death seems like the end of 'life' and there is no proof or even hint to the contrary.
So is it so strange that I couldn't possibly see what a 'good death' could be.
And this isn't 'my opinion'. It's the only thing evidence seems to suggest.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that's called contrast. If people's expectations are low they are going to assume that anything merely normal or '+' is amazing. if they are otherly biased in wanting attention or something from that person they will develop something which probably isn't totally psychologically alien from what happens to hostage victims when they side with the captor.
It's either amusing or really sad. but thats immaturity for ya.

Can you elaborate? You confuse me.

dala

MBTI Type
intp
It is natural, and best for most, to die a natural death is my main assertion.

One thing to consider is that dying of old age is not really the natural order of things. It is only in recent history that any living creature lived past the point where it could effectively feed and protect itself, and only the last couple hundred years that people started living past fifty. The natural order is to be picked off as food or die of an illness or injury long before dementia kicks in.

We have effectively discarded the 'natural' order for the current one, and the current one allows for long-term suffering with no chance of recovery. Not an ideal situation, by any stretch.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Negative utilitarianism, then?

No actually that would be utilitarianism updated to add findings from evolutionary psychology. The cost/benefit analysis gives more weight to pain avoidance than pleasure seeking overall. (please dont tell me about your daredevil cousin, its a statistical spread)

Suffering outweighs pleasure.
you're welcome

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not sure what you are meaning here. I'm stereotyping, yes, that some people--esp T types perhaps--can get away with being brusque and blunt in general society more easily than F types can....and this extends to men as well. People doing the 'excusing' don't realize they are making allowances for 'T types' as most do not know typology. But there does seem to be a consensus that it's easier to tolerate chronic rudeness in our society than emo bursts of rudeness or assertiveness, and it's almost admired when harsh 'T types' are nice, versus an overall niceness and warmth of 'F types.' If that is too stereotypical for you, just sub in harsh person for nice person in place of T type and F type, respectively. :devil: In other words, it's cool to say the rude guy is really 'nice' underneath it all.

Not all types of "rudeness" are equal.

I'm not sure what you are arguing for here. It is natural, and best for most, to die a natural death is my main assertion. Why is that so confusing? Hell, we are so effed up we don't even know how to die anymore. There used to be a ritual when someone died and now our ritual is to pump him full of chemicals before he dies, then pump him full of chemicals after he dies as well. And in the meantime, to put him out of his misery. lol.

Aww come on now Baby. It's relatively easy to know what is natural, no? Of course we have free will to alter nature, which is what we do. I'm just saying I rarely think that makes things better. And don't worry, we will return to that soupy energy soon enough. But I'll be there with you, so no worries. :hug:

No, actually it is not easy to know what is "natural," or what that word even means exactly. I think that was EcK's point.