• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is suicide justified?

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Have you contemplated the act of suicide. What meaning it has and what self-perception and view on life could ultimately lead to self-demise as a conclusion?.
Yes I have, and I still plan on dying by my own hands. The thought of time ravaging my body and my mind is an unpleasant one.

Which cases?
You really can't think of one group or one person who wanted the "right" to govern themselves, but didn't want to give that "right" to others? Not without a price? How about the American Revolution* and slavery? People who so valiantly fought for freedom, but didn't want to give that freedom to others. John Jay certainly made note of this:

It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused.

*Obviously this doesn't include all of the Founding Fathers or every single American that was alive back then, but I think it's a good example of what I was on to.

People want the "right" to drink/eat/smoke themselves to death and they've got it, but they don't want others to have the "right" to end their own misery? And whether or not you call it misery, whether you think it will get better, it's their life and they shouldn't have to answer to you or anyone else.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
You really can't think of one group or one person who wanted the "right" to govern themselves, but didn't want to give that "right" to others? Not without a price? How about the American Revolution* and slavery? People who so valiantly fought for freedom, but didn't want to give that freedom to others. John Jay certainly made note of this:

*Obviously this doesn't include all of the Founding Fathers or every single American that was alive back then, but I think it's a good example of what I was on to.

People want the "right" to drink/eat/smoke themselves to death and they've got it, but they don't want others to have the "right" to end their own misery? And whether or not you call it misery, whether you think it will get better, it's their life and they shouldn't have to answer to you or anyone else.

I agree with your last paragraph as I have this whole time, and I'm unsure if you're thinking otherwise. I hope not.

In any case, one can be free even whilst others are in bondage.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Let's see what kind of thing pushed me towards the suicide path sometimes:

- Being an only child, my parents don't care much.
- Being homosexual
- Having acne
- Not as intelligent
- Not as sporty
- Laziness
- Too much family pressure/school pressure
- Procrastination

But I'm still optimistic.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
When is suicide justified? when is it "ok" to take your own life? how much personal suffering should you have to endure from the world or how much suffering do you have to create in the world for suicide to be justified? discuss.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The way the inuit supposedly wander off and die at an iceberg somewhere alone, or starve themselves to die, when they've become a burden on their society, has always sort-of resonated with me. But only when it gets to the point of being so weak and feeble as to not be able to feed yourself anymore, and it appears to just be worsening. If you cannot offer anything productive to the group/tribe/society, even if that is only telling stories to children, etc., then I can see that it is time to go...

I watch our society push food into people's mouths and drain their urine out of them. I watch them put food down their throats straight into their bellies when they cannot swallow. I watch them change their diapers because they crap and piss all over the place because they have lost those basic functions. They often don't remember who they are or where they are, and sometimes cannot even think much at all. Yet we go to extraordinary measures to keep this mass of cells alive. I have to ask why. And I have to wonder if that is the best route to take.

But I don't think suicide at any other time is really good for families or society. I think if someone feels that bad, there is probably also potential for them to feel that good again. Because being extremely sad comes from the same place as being extremely happy. It's loss of thought altogether that, to me, is a sign that a soul is ready to move on to the other side.

Within

Permabanned
If I were blinded, paralyzed / suffered massive neurological damage.

If my healthy self stood next to my physically messed up self I would want to put it out of it's misery.

Weather or not it's justified or not I could not really care less about.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
People would justify anything. That's what we do. We make up stories to justify irrational drives.
Now I m not philosophically pro suicide as it is a choice that take away choice. So it's pretty much a self defeating strategy if one sees choice as a tool we have to define our evolution through life and identity. Which based on evidence to the contrary is all we have.

Then again I guess it's sad to say but at the end of the day if people want to die well. its up to them.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Death was probably a much huger part of primitive society though. Including all variations of it, I'd say. You're the historian, Lark....Our culture is very removed from death overall.

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]

Lark

Death was probably a much huger part of primitive society though. Including all variations of it, I'd say. You're the historian, Lark....Our culture is very removed from death overall.

[MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]

Well that could well be part of it Aphrodite, there's a lot more suicide now than ever there was.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^There are likely many reasons for that, not attributable to any one thing I'd say.

A

Anew Leaf

Why is this death cult culture so popular these days?

I'm all for life.

I'm all for life too. After watching my mother die slowly and painfully to cancer, my dad and I made a pact that if either of us gets like that, we bring the other cyanide.

Suicide because some boy doesn't like you or you didn't make it in the school play is a waste of a life.

Suicide as a way to die in your own terms when the galaxy of your body is dissipating, is another thing entirely.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm all for life too. After watching my mother die slowly and painfully to cancer, my dad and I made a pact that if either of us gets like that, we bring the other cyanide.

I've heard Dr Kavorkian say that usually those with cancer don't want to die any more quickly, even with the pain, because cancer can kill fairly quickly once you are very sick. He said it's usually those with chronic disabilities that seek/sought? his services.

Personally, I don't agree with taking your life if you have a chronic disability because of my own spiritual and philosophical beliefs. But I do think, as I said before, when a person can no longer keep themselves alive mechanically, then it would be okay for them to pass on, without assistance. But that is a bit different than suicide I guess....

Suicide because some boy doesn't like you or you didn't make it in the school play is a waste of a life.

Suicide as a way to die in your own terms when the galaxy of your body is dissipating, is another thing entirely.

Very well said. But I feel like not until it gets to the point of just impossibility to keep oneself alive. Which is a bit different. But that wouldn't be suicide then, just inevitable death.

A

Anew Leaf

I've heard Dr Kavorkian say that usually those with cancer don't want to die any more quickly, even with the pain, because cancer can kill fairly quickly once you are very sick. He said it's usually those with chronic disabilities that seek/sought? his services.

Personally, I don't agree with taking your life if you have a chronic disability because of my own spiritual and philosophical beliefs. But I do think, as I said before, when a person can no longer keep themselves alive mechanically, then it would be okay for them to pass on, without assistance. But that is a bit different than suicide I guess....

Very well said. But I feel like not until it gets to the point of just impossibility to keep oneself alive. Which is a bit different. But that wouldn't be suicide then, just inevitable death.

My point is somewhere northeast of where you are standing.

gmanyo

sswwwaagggg
MBTI Type
ENTP
if you are on fire and going to burn to death then suicide is probably a pretty good idea

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if we're meant to die we're meant to die, if not than we won't so try alll you like you probably won't die unless you were meant to in which case you'd probably get hit by a bus if you don't try.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it justified to ask whether suicide is justified? I mean, what's the point? The people who consider taking their own lives certainly won't take anybody else's opinion, and after the act is committed, it doesn't matter.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Is it justified to ask whether suicide is justified? I mean, what's the point? The people who consider taking their own lives certainly won't take anybody else's opinion, and after the act is committed, it doesn't matter.

That's not true there are plenty of people who consider taking their own lives who takes other peoples opinion.