• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is suicide justified?

angelicabeads

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think often of suicide, actually. I've been depressed of late, and when i feel depressed, hopeless, powerless, and generally uninspired I think thoughts (silly perhaps), such as, "Why am I still on the planet? I'm breathing oxygen other people could be using?!" But I do find that these periods pass, and I have always liked the statement, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". But if it ever came to pass that I were diagnosed with a fatal illness (as though life itself isn't fatal!), I'm fairly certain that I'd cash in my chips. Just don't think I'd be too unhappy about the prospect of dying either. Good topic!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Definitely, when I was younger. Very regularly, during a time in my life when I lacked a satisfying level of control. If you feel that way, my advice is to gather up responsibilities. Get busy and be productive, and your self esteem will build slowly but surely.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah, when i was 19. I didn't want to live and truly believed people (kids) would be better off without me.

It is unfortunate to live in a mind so bleak and confined by ones own perceptions that death is/was the only option to end the misery.

With the help of a good psychiatrist, he helped me change my perceptions. I still have odd times where i think about it, but i couldn't act on it.

The dark times pass eventually and light comes flooding in .. I now see it an honour to be here, experiencing the rough with the smooth .. Life is worth living.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I have thought about it. At one point (a long time ago), I decided that was it, I was going to do myself in. I figured that the world would be better off without me.
Then I thought, now that I've decided to do it, how will I do it.
Well, I could shoot myself.
Um. No. First of all, I don't have a gun. Second of all, I am in favor of gun control and I don't want to die a hypocrite. So that was out.
Then I thought... how about a knife. Um. No. Yuck. Too messy. Lots of blood. Ewwwwwww.
The next thought was... I could jump off of the bridge into the river. No!!! I'm afraid of heights. I wouldn't even get on the bridge, much less throw myself off of it. That, for sure, is not a plan.
How about lots of pills?
No. If I survive, I'll have to get my stomach pumped. That's disgusting!!!
Oh! I know. Old age!!! I'll get really old and croak. Slow but effective.
And that was the end of my plan for suicide. The decision making process was slow and arduous that I had forgotten why I was depressed. I ate chocolate instead.
Much later, I realized, I obviously wasn't very serious about suicide. I really have never wanted to kill myself but I tend to get melodramatic at times. My thoughts of suicide have always very nonserious.
And, since then, a friend killed himself. I was heartbroken about it. I went to his memorial service and everyone was heartbroken. He was a wonderful, talented photographer. The world is worse off without him.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have tried... I obviously did not succeed. It makes me suspect that I'm impervioius to overdoses of prescription meds mixed with alcohol :thumbdown: I was in treatment for PTSD at the time and really just wanted out of my life- I really didn't want to be anymore- no more thoughts.

I have no ethical problem with it, though you have to concern yourself about the people you leave behind... that's why I put effort into making it look like an accident :newwink:

My life has moved on now though- in a positive direction :)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do you know why we react this way to people passing, because we can sense the spirit has left the body and what is left is a shell. This shell is then a reaction to the core fears associated with our own mortality. Do you know why we react this way when living, because we can sense internal conflict in our body from external sources without aligning to our spirit. This shell then reacts strongly to the core fears associated with mortality.

Easy answer there, of course its a fear based reaction in response to the human condition and the construction of our realities from a mind body soul perspective. When the mind is in a separation consciousness from the spirit and the body through experiences and trauma sustained throughout life from environmental sources as well as personal sources then this activator of release is such that circumstances lead to a flight or fight response in the fear that is associated with disconnect that is happening. On a health level this disparity becomes the most pronounced and dis-ease as some would ascribe is a dismissible state of unease from the spirit to the mind to the body. In which instance the causation is entirely outward an absorption of the conflicting distortions of others and then an inward absorption of the ills, plural, of the vacancy and illusion life has become through the agency of toxicity. Instead of becoming into a state of welbeing, becoming inclusive of the we in the I-perspective of the I-function.

This anxious reaction comes from a source and it is always in physicality that the source self perpetuates the motions of disconnect and that is a disconnect from ourselves and from others when life brings you down. And that is something then for I do know this feeling intimately well. Its a human reaction to being human in a state of overwhealment when the emotional scale of thoughts remains unexpressed and undelivered in times when the falsification of the attitude the psychiatric community have towards restoring the interconnected structure of the mind and body is just that disconnected without the spirit.

You know I went to Grow on occasion, a support group for depressed people and the feeling I got when I went was of death. Its strange, and I knew the falsity of such support as I knew the falsity of the modalities of what goes on in the treatment of and often hushed reaction towards this precept. That when the environment pushes poison like sugar and fluoride that depletes our bodies ability to restore a healthy functioning balance in our endocrine system. Without the necessary building blocks that are consistently washed away like magnesium and iodine. Then why am I not surprised that out of the human population, 6 billion+, a great many would have thought about suicide at some stage in their life when life looked grim. When their body was under performing from a nutritional perspective, from a financial perspective, from a dis-ease, from circumstance, health, trauma, isolation etc.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
The idea of suicide comforts me actually.

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that suicide is the coward's way out, which may be the case in some cultures - but to me it seems as if they person is willing to kill their body, their mind is already dead.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've tried, obviously failed as I am still here.

For me, I simply just wasn't myself at the time, and it wasn't just a 'oh it's an off day I'm not feeling like myself' thing...I really became an entirely different person for almost a year that I scared myself, and those thoughts weren't my own...it's weird to explain. So much shit was happening in my life that I became this person which in every aspect I loathed, I'm really not sure what happened. It's all a blur to me now, and my memory just erased that period of time altogether. :shrug:

kyli_ryan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2wX
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A guy recently committed suicide at my college campus, he had been dating one of my good friends and killed himself when she broke it off with him. I couldn't help but be more concerned about my friend than about his death. I know that many of you have mentioned thoughts of suicide, and I've never actually had this thought before (although I was into harming myself for awhile in high school)... I can't help but think that suicide, especially in the recent case at my school, is selfish. I would think too much about the effect that it would have on those around me. He left my friend, someone he supposedly "loved," feeling as though she was the cause of his death. Nothing will ever be the same for her again. That doesn't compute as an action of love to me.

I was talking to a professor about the incident later... She said that when she was younger, she had thought about committing suicide purely for "logical reasons." She told her father and he said "no," so she dropped it. I thought that was an interesting suicide story.

What are your thoughts on suicide as a "selfish" or "logical" act?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
^ That was an act of revenge, blackmail and depression.

What are your thoughts on suicide as a "selfish" or "logical" act?

Its neither yet its both.

What I was getting at earlier is that most people that go through such a state are in a state of disconnect, out of alignment with their physicality through agency that is changeable every time.

N

NPcomplete

I've thought about it and even discussed it extensively with close friends. But it was only because we enjoy pondering and debating such subjects.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
For those of us lacking a future-self capable of wanting to live, it is ideal; for others, it is abortion.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I've thought about it in the sense of "why not?". I think there was a thread about it on intpcentral. I found it to be an interesting question. Ultimately I think that life is my natural state. Ending it on my accord would be unnatural. Besides, I'm not sure what happens after life so just in case nothing does happen I want to live the life I'm living for as long as possible because the possibility that this is it seems to me to be very real.

I think I'd only ever do it if I thought I had done all that I wanted on earth and my death wouldn't affect anyone else. All I'm saying is that if I'm 100 and I don't think living anymore has any value to me or others then why not end it? Just to see what happens?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
^^ May i ask why you believe this to be the case?

I am not saying it's right or wrong, i'm just curious as to your mind set.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I agree.

I find all of this to be pointless. I keep holding out in hopes of finding a purpose or rather a point to all of this, but I have the mindset that all of this is so meaningless.
A thought that does stop me time and time again is that in my opinion, there is nothing after this either so what's the point. To any of it. Life or death.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought about it a month after I turned 21, but I didn't care about it.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
^^ May i ask why you believe this to be the case?

I am not saying it's right or wrong, i'm just curious as to your mind set.

Whatever meaning we may contrive from our existence, so as to give our lives purpose, will become bereft of itself when we no longer exist. To put it another way, perhaps I could find a cure to cancer, but what's the point if the patient I've cured will die of natural causes regardless?

Take this cancer concept and apply it to all of mankind and our ideals, goals, etc. and all progress becomes inefficient... It's like trying to stop Niagra Falls from falling, with a pair of chopsticks... And perhaps even, and I say this with no intention of offending anyone, romanticizing this futile act is absurdly stupid.

And no, I don't think happiness is a sufficient enough reason to live or to continue living.

Last edited:

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Also, I should mention that I am a gigantic fan of Posthumanist/Transhumanistic thought and because of this I am also a gigantic fan of irony.

Tragedy is a comedy!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had people close to me who were suicidal, and that has kept me from being willing to consider it. The emotional assault on those around you is beyond the comprehension of someone imploded with depression. I knew suicidal people around the time I was a teenager and first experiencing severe depression. I would have images of being dead come into my mind, but I would not give in to the idea of suicide and never will. Even if it is not the fault or motivation of the perpetrator, it is capable of an immeasurably cruel effect. It can happen as a result of chemical imbalances, and distorted perceptions, and not be the person's fault, but those left behind feel unmeasurable pain, and many outsiders take to the harshest of judgments blaming them. This is the knee-jerk social reaction. So when someone commits suicide they start a chain reaction of cruelty and judgment.

For those physically capable, there is always someone who can benefit from your life if your focus is on giving instead of having needs filled. It is a different context for issues of euthanasia and such, but for other scenarios it can be selfish because you rob the world of the help you had the capacity to give.