First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I am not saying there is but one way out: I am saying that death is a safe way out, because once you are dead, you can no longer and never again be depressed. You cannot even worry about all the opportunities you spurn by ending your life.
    So, by 'safe', you mean safe from suffering from depression. Interesting...many times people determine 'safe' to be protected from physical harm or death, such as myself.

I mean sure, reliable, dependable to lead to the desired destination (out of depression).

ReflecTcelfeR

I apologize for not addressing each post singularly, but there are quite a few responses so I will give you the thought that prevades overall. A what if scenario: We can only presume what happens after death, this I believe is true and so I ask you this. What if you had committed suicide and on the other end of the spectrum you did reach a state of enlightenment? Is suicide inherently bad, or is it bad because over time we don't wish for the attachments to disappear? I do not mean to insult anyone... This is strictly hypothetical.

Oh, and INTP. It could go any many sections, but I considered this topic Mature just as well as Spiritual. This is just my opinion however.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

at a certain point concerns for what lies beyond death are moot... the real concern is to just to make your mind shut up... even if there IS no afterlife the idea of nothingness can sound really peaceful- when you're being driven crazy by your own mind spiritual repercussions are a distant second to mental peace
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I find suicide to be a very comforting thought, in the sense that I can assert control over my death if ever need be.

I've found that I become depressed and think about suicide during times where I feel as though I'm spiraling out of control, in various situations of which I'm helpless and nothing I can do can change the outcome.

I don't think that suicide is inherently bad and I feel as though it is, however cold this may seem, a fact of life. I wouldn't ever wish someone to kill themselves, or feel the despair that often leads to such, but sometimes people's souls have died long before their body. It seems unfair for judging someone who ended their pain and suffering. Mental and emotional pain I feel is the worst over physical, but that's just me.

Often the only thing that keeps me from offing myself is the attachments I have with people. I feel as though the pain that it would cause a few select people isn't worth the supposed relief that comes from ending it all.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    at a certain point concerns for what lies beyond death are moot... the real concern is to just to make your mind shut up... even if there IS no afterlife the idea of nothingness can sound really peaceful- when you're being driven crazy by your own mind spiritual repercussions are a distant second to mental peace
    yeah i don't really think about spirtual repercussions either it's to stop the pain, make everyone's life better, realizing that whatever i do in life is going to be a failure, that the world will be better off without me. even if they don't believe and never will. that's my thought process.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

ReflecTcelfeR

Agreed; but what is your impression of it (suicide) in the first place?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Agreed; but what is your impression of it (suicide) in the first place?
    I have always beleived in reincarnation, even before hearing about the concept, so killing yourself never really seemed like an END to everything to me in a spiritual sense... more of being a reset button. The impact on others is the concern in my book
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

ReflecTcelfeR

An addendum to the first question. Do you think it lessens the pain or increases the pain to leave a note describing why they did so? (I assure you I'm not planning to attempt, I'm just seeing if talking about it will quiet the thought however unserious it may be).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I have always beleived in reincarnation, even before hearing about the concept, so killing yourself never really seemed like an END to everything to me in a spiritual sense... more of being a reset button. The impact on others is the concern in my book
    I can't say that I believe in reincarnation, and it worries me to question what does come after death.
    I would say that the peace of suicide is an enticing thought at times. I will agree with you and say that the impact that it will have, whether positive or negative, is the concern I have as well.

As much as I feel that I am burdening the people around me and bringing them into my black hole of misery, there is this small thought that me dead would cause them great pain. But at times, I feel as though that pain would fade over time -- where as continuing to burden them is pain without an end date. The latter seems worse.