User Tag List

First 212930313233 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It is as the great Galiani said: Nature does not care about us.
    [YOUTUBE="97nAvTVeR6o"]not exactly relevant, but it popped in my head[/YOUTUBE]
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Does suicide need to be justified?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Does suicide need to be justified?
    Did you read any of the thread?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Did you read any of the thread?
    Clearly I must have if I answered the OP.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned

Everyone's life is theirs to do with as they please. Including ending it if they are so inclined.

Beyond that, it comes down to personal motivations. Personally, the story of the Kodak guy has always intrigued with me.

Very succinct.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Many of you seem to be arguing from the premise that suicide is inherently unjustified, but can be justified in special circumstances, which is understandable from a psychological and cultural point of view, but it would be much more interesting to hear a rational reasoning behind that.

@Lexicon addressed that, by bringing up the question of potential of a human life, which however seems to conflict with her point of contention with @AphroditeGoneAwry , where the latter argues for an ideal way of existence for humans and the former disagrees on mostly psychological grounds. Both viewpoints seem very problematic to me and could be cleared up by first stating who has the right to choose what the potential of a human life is or is supposed to be, and secondly by clearly defining the ideal way for a human to live and die in a way that doesn't conflict with itself at the points that have been brought up.

I do essentially agree with @Nicodemus and some others (who however seem to have a different reasoning, which is also understandable) that the question itself is nonsense, but that's not very fun.

Most of all, though, I'd be interested in hearing why suicide due to arbitrary reasons is any worse than that which is caused by great suffering.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think because you have the bigger issue of that we, though individuals, do not live in bubbles. We live in families and societies.

Yes, I think someone can and should be able to kill themselves if they want. I also think women should have the right to kill their unborn babies until such time as the baby could live independently outside the womb (and there was someone(s) who wanted to care for it, etc.) I think when one's life becomes dependent upon another or others, then those others have some rights as to whether they want to keep that life alive, and at what cost and benefit that occurs.

I guess I feel like life is not morally absolute; that because our lives can become dependent on others, it then depends on what those others deem important as well, and what we as a society deem important. (5 million dollars to keep a vet alive in his last years of life, whereby he's basically confined to a bed anyway ?)
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Many of you seem to be arguing from the premise that suicide is inherently unjustified, but can be justified in special circumstances, which is understandable from a psychological and cultural point of view, but it would be much more interesting to hear a rational reasoning behind that.

@Lexicon addressed that, by bringing up the question of potential of a human life, which however seems to conflict with her point of contention with @AphroditeGoneAwry , where the latter argues for an ideal way of existence for humans and the former disagrees on mostly psychological grounds. Both viewpoints seem very problematic to me and could be cleared up by first stating who has the right to choose what the potential of a human life is or is supposed to be, and secondly by clearly defining the ideal way for a human to live and die in a way that doesn't conflict with itself at the points that have been brought up.

I do essentially agree with @Nicodemus and some others (who however seem to have a different reasoning, which is also understandable) that the question itself is nonsense, but that's not very fun.

Most of all, though, I'd be interested in hearing why suicide due to arbitrary reasons is any worse than that which is caused by great suffering.
    Ah, ultimately I can't absolutely state any specific should or supposed to, in this context, which was why I simply expressed how suicides from psychiatric illness feel sad/tragic to me. Moral judgement or if it were objectively warranted, ultimately, is not my or anyone else's call to make. It's the choice of the individual, and theirs alone, regardless of anyone else's perception, or the impact it may have on those left behind.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I tend to agree to an extent but what about child molesters or serial killers? How do you justify them living? how can they justify themselves living? especially if they've gotten to the point of not being able to control themselves?
    I say throw 'em in the slammer and never let them out.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I say throw 'em in the slammer and never let them out.
    And they live on everyone else's resources, then, right?