User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post

I don't agree that it's a selfish thing though. A lot of times in the mind of a suicidal person, they see it the opposite, as in 'They'd be better off without me', in which case they interpret the act of suicide upon themselves as a selfless act, ridding the burden of anyone they might know of their presence. They see the world in an entirely different view, and if you're younger, you have less capacity to handle such emotions and thoughts that you may be more likely to consider suicide as your only option.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

for any sort of depression suicide is never the way out.
    If there is one safe way out, it is death. One safe way to death is suicide.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I'm halfsies on the matter. In life, people go through many stages of mental and emotional growth. It's hard to say that their situation or perspective won't change for the better, which is where spontaneous suicide doesn't sit right with me.
    Most of the people that I know who have contemplated suicide, or even gone so far as to make threats or attempts, are all alive and well presently. They've surpassed that stage of their life or that mindset and they press on. This isn't to say that the situation/perspective will change for everyone.

For some people, life just isn't cutting it for them. One of my friends has calmly talked about suicide to me for the past 6 years. He has felt the same way at a constant and, although things go well for him in life, he is still indifferent toward it. He isn't depressed or emotionally compromised, but he feels that life can't satiate him (relevant to me, but intj). I can't argue with that and I would find it more selfish to demand he change his opinion. If someone has assessed it, allowed time to pass, and isn't emotionally compromised, it's one of the few times where I can respect their decision on the matter.
    So while this friend is still alive and well, if he takes that route at any point, I won't be bitter or angry with him.

I also believe in some degree of selfishness. We're all selfish in this sense. "No, I don't want to live and appease others" "No, live even if it doesn't appease you". Both sides are a different kind of selfishness. You can't condemn someone for selfishness if you are also selfish in your desires for them. It's a touchy, grey area that can have a variety of factors involved.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It's always painful when someone dies, no matter how they die. But calling someone selfish and encouraging them to live only to make other people happy is the worst kind of burden to put on someone.
    Yeah, I don't mean to sound like a downer, but that is easily as selfish as committing the act is [presumably] widely considered. Laying more guilt on someone who is already guilt ridden seems an ill advised thing to do as well.

I live on my own terms and I will hopefully die on my own terms, barring any unexpected surprises. Hunter S. Thompson had it right.
    Yes, another gem. It's a bit odd that so many are passionately pro a person's right to control their lives and bodies in certain ways (such as abortion rights) yet equally opposed to the right to control it in others (such as suicide and/or assisted suicide). But perhaps that's a poor comparison.

But yes, I agree that it is particularly tragic and heartbreaking when a child resorts to those measures because they don't have complete understanding of the temporary nature of most problems or emotions.
    And yet I agree with this too. I don't like to hear about people, especially young people, taking their own lives because they are feeling trapped. Ideally, no one should have to take their own life. But realistically, if someone does decide it's what they really want, I wonder how much of a right I have to forbid it.

My first assumption would be that the person isn't in a clear state of mind and of course I would be inclined to get them immediate help.

But what happens when someone appears to be in a clear and rational state of mind, even providing a solid and well thought out argument in support of their decision? In situations like those, I wonder how much of the knee-jerk "suicide is irrational" response is truly logical and how much is only cultural/personal bias.

This hasn't been a personal consideration but if people want to commit suicide, it's their call to make. No one should have the right to interfere through any form of coercion.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If there is one safe way out, it is death. One safe way to death is suicide.
    Who determines that there is only one safe way out of it though? And what do you mean by 'safe'? Safe from yourself?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

why is this topic in sexuality/mature forum?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Sniffles

I believe that life is sacred and an end in itself.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the worst is when you can logically point out how other people's lives would be better if you managed to make sure that your death looked like an accident... life insurance would pay off student loans and leave them with a little extra for a vacation or something... I just never managed to find a way that would look enough like an accident when wanting to do so
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Who determines that there is only one safe way out of it though? And what do you mean by 'safe'? Safe from yourself?
    I am not saying there is but one way out: I am saying that death is a safe way out, because once you are dead, you can no longer and never again be depressed. You cannot even worry about all the opportunities you spurn by ending your life.