User Tag List

First 192728293031 Last

Results 281 to 290 of 328

  1. #281
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Power over the end of your own life is one of the most basic 'rights' a person has. Why should my personal feelings about the methodology of the end matter at all?
    My sister died of an overdose a few years ago. I'm sure it was an accident, because she only took have the bottle. My other sister and mother were so disturbed by the possibility that she did this intentionally that they even changed the obituary to exclude the possibility. So it said something about complications of a heart condition, which she did have.
    But the fact remains that she is gone. Intentional or not, she isn't coming back.
    So what difference does it make? Why do the details make a difference to anyone's understanding of it? Why is it a moral issue? Why should anyone feel differently based on a perception of intent?
    Why shold the living feel shamed by the intent of the dead? Isn't the finality of it enough to obviate this kind of thinking?

  2. #282
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Why shold the living feel shamed by the intent of the dead? Isn't the finality of it enough to obviate this kind of thinking?
    I don't disagree with you there. It's pretty much my stance on it too. If someone kills himself than that's that. Not like we can do anything about it. And wondering wether or not we could have prevented it is not going to help either.

    But I also know that when it happens to someone really close to you, it's not easy to come to that conclusion. Questions just keep popping up and a lot of confusing emotions are felt. A death from natural causes, or even by accident, is much more easy to deal with than someone taking their own life. It just creates this big unknown factor into it all. And accepting it is not going to be easy for most people.

    I admire you for having that stance after losing someone so close to you. I can't say I took it quite so well myself when it happened to someone close to me. It probably took me about a year to get over it. And sometimes I'm still not sure I am really over it. It's still a question that will probably plague me until my death. But it's no longer a question that is dominately on my mind.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  3. #283
    Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    4,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    But the fact remains that she is gone. Intentional or not, she isn't coming back.
    So what difference does it make? Why do the details make a difference to anyone's understanding of it? Why is it a moral issue? Why should anyone feel differently based on a perception of intent?
    Why shold the living feel shamed by the intent of the dead? Isn't the finality of it enough to obviate this kind of thinking?
    It does make a difference. The idea that someone has been suffering in silence who could possibly have been helped by those closest if they knew is very painful and can make people feel/think they have failed as a sibling/parent/friend/so. If someone dies of natural causes it dosn't stop the pain or possibly even change the level that would be felt it's just that those who are left behind may have more difficulty coming to terms with it. Well i don't know the specifics, so i'm assuming a bit here. I appologise if i am doing so incorreclty.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

  4. #284
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't disagree with you there. It's pretty much my stance on it too. If someone kills himself than that's that. Not like we can do anything about it. And wondering wether or not we could have prevented it is not going to help either.

    But I also know that when it happens to someone really close to you, it's not easy to come to that conclusion. Questions just keep popping up and a lot of confusing emotions are felt. A death from natural causes, or even by accident, is much more easy to deal with than someone taking their own life. It just creates this big unknown factor into it all. And accepting it is not going to be easy for most people.

    I admire you for having that stance after losing someone so close to you. I can't say I took it quite so well myself when it happened to someone close to me. It probably took me about a year to get over it. And sometimes I'm still not sure I am really over it. It's still a question that will probably plague me until my death. But it's no longer a question that is dominately on my mind.
    I don't think it matters, what you say to yourself, how 'rational' you want to be in thought about it. In the end, it's an emotional wound. It hurts whether or not you can feel it now or find some way to forget it temporarily. We humans use reason as a way to explain, but also as a way to avoid. In the grand scheme of emotion + reason = thought, you can't put the emotional elements in a box and hope that your reason and logic will make you feel better.

  5. #285
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I tend to agree to an extent but what about child molesters or serial killers? How do you justify them living? how can they justify themselves living? especially if they've gotten to the point of not being able to control themselves?

  6. #286
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    an inconsequential conversation. whether suicide is "justified" is going to be the last thing on the mind of someone seriously considering it
    How do you figure? most people who think about killing themselves contemplate before they try to commit the act.

  7. #287
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    One, my main point with Orangey was that I find it odd that people cannot figure out what 'natural' is; that understanding why what is natural is so hard. And none of you seem to be answering me...
    Try to define 'natural'. You will find that many things you consider good are unnatural.

  8. #288
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    I think when someone dies suddenly, in a way that seems otherwise ''preventable,'' such as a car wreck, suicide, or murder- the people closest to the individual are likely to experience some degree of survivor's guilt. The knowledge in of itself that, ''this wasn't supposed to/didn't need to happen,'' can generate so many what-if-I-had-done/been-xxx scenarios, that the survivor begins to feel a sense of ill placed responsibility for the death. I think it's just a part of the process, for some people, of wrapping their minds around the fact someone they loved is abruptly gone forever- can we really even grasp forever? We have to adapt to the new reality of that person no longer being present.

    I think I understand what @nebbykoo was getting at, though. To carry that sort of guilt around, and dwell on it, changes nothing. All we can do is try our best in life to be there for those we care for.

    When my brother died on a military base, we didn't know for two weeks what the cause of death even was- They found him in his room- so I did have to contemplate the possibility that he may have taken his own life. The guilt that I couldn't have prevented that was paralysing. When we were informed his death was a homicide, that irrational guilt didn't change, though there was additional anger, of course. To this day, his homicide remains technically unsolved, more or less brushed under the rug. There's only so far you can take some of that weight with you. People ask me how I'm not relentlessly hunting the suspect[s] down to find some sense of justice or closure. In deaths where someone's life is intentionally taken-be it by his own hand or that of another's- there is no ''closure.'' Nothing will ever fill that cold void in the corners of my mind. The ache of his absence, and the sadness of his lost future never really leaves- but I've learned not to carry much of the guilt or anger that comes with deaths of this nature. If I didn't, it would eat me alive- and at that point- I might as well bury my heart in the cemetery and bleed out on the grass. Wasting another life.

    I think @nebbykoo might've been trying to suggest not carrying that, dwelling on- living that individual's death, for the rest of your life. We cannot control what others do, ultimately. And when people die, all the moral judgements in the world will not resurrect them. All we can to is try to live, and be there for one another while we're all here.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  9. #289
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    470

    Default

    I'm going to go past the original question and say this.
    No one is required to give justification for their suicide but to themselves.

  10. #290
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Try to define 'natural'. You will find that many things you consider good are unnatural.
    I did not say that. I said natural, regarding our biological bodies, for one thing, is usually the best route to take.

    Unnatural benefits are many and varied. And I think it's a great topic for discussion. I was thinking about it yesterday.

    I think the best inventions and technologies involve changing our cognitive experiences; things which appeal to our higher minds, like the internet (of course everything is best in moderation). I think inventions and technologies that make our physical lives easier, like automated farming practices, for one example, have just promoted a more unhealthy lifestyle overall.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


Similar Threads

  1. Is superior force justifiable bully back a bully?
    By great_bay in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2016, 05:07 PM
  2. Is language essential for rational thinking?
    By nightning in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM
  3. What is Philosophy?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
  4. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO