User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    Have you contemplated the act of suicide. What meaning it has and what self-perception and view on life could ultimately lead to self-demise as a conclusion?.
    Yes I have, and I still plan on dying by my own hands. The thought of time ravaging my body and my mind is an unpleasant one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    Which cases?
    You really can't think of one group or one person who wanted the "right" to govern themselves, but didn't want to give that "right" to others? Not without a price? How about the American Revolution* and slavery? People who so valiantly fought for freedom, but didn't want to give that freedom to others. John Jay certainly made note of this:

It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused.

*Obviously this doesn't include all of the Founding Fathers or every single American that was alive back then, but I think it's a good example of what I was on to.

People want the "right" to drink/eat/smoke themselves to death and they've got it, but they don't want others to have the "right" to end their own misery? And whether or not you call it misery, whether you think it will get better, it's their life and they shouldn't have to answer to you or anyone else.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    You really can't think of one group or one person who wanted the "right" to govern themselves, but didn't want to give that "right" to others? Not without a price? How about the American Revolution* and slavery? People who so valiantly fought for freedom, but didn't want to give that freedom to others. John Jay certainly made note of this:

*Obviously this doesn't include all of the Founding Fathers or every single American that was alive back then, but I think it's a good example of what I was on to.

People want the "right" to drink/eat/smoke themselves to death and they've got it, but they don't want others to have the "right" to end their own misery? And whether or not you call it misery, whether you think it will get better, it's their life and they shouldn't have to answer to you or anyone else.
    I agree with your last paragraph as I have this whole time, and I'm unsure if you're thinking otherwise. I hope not.

In any case, one can be free even whilst others are in bondage.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Let's see what kind of thing pushed me towards the suicide path sometimes:

- Being an only child, my parents don't care much.
    - Being homosexual
    - Having acne
    - Not as intelligent
    - Not as sporty
    - Laziness
    - Too much family pressure/school pressure
    - Procrastination

But I'm still optimistic.

Permabanned

Default Is suicide justified?

When is suicide justified? when is it "ok" to take your own life? how much personal suffering should you have to endure from the world or how much suffering do you have to create in the world for suicide to be justified? discuss.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

The way the inuit supposedly wander off and die at an iceberg somewhere alone, or starve themselves to die, when they've become a burden on their society, has always sort-of resonated with me. But only when it gets to the point of being so weak and feeble as to not be able to feed yourself anymore, and it appears to just be worsening. If you cannot offer anything productive to the group/tribe/society, even if that is only telling stories to children, etc., then I can see that it is time to go...

I watch our society push food into people's mouths and drain their urine out of them. I watch them put food down their throats straight into their bellies when they cannot swallow. I watch them change their diapers because they crap and piss all over the place because they have lost those basic functions. They often don't remember who they are or where they are, and sometimes cannot even think much at all. Yet we go to extraordinary measures to keep this mass of cells alive. I have to ask why. And I have to wonder if that is the best route to take.

But I don't think suicide at any other time is really good for families or society. I think if someone feels that bad, there is probably also potential for them to feel that good again. Because being extremely sad comes from the same place as being extremely happy. It's loss of thought altogether that, to me, is a sign that a soul is ready to move on to the other side.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Banned

If I were blinded, paralyzed / suffered massive neurological damage.

If my healthy self stood next to my physically messed up self I would want to put it out of it's misery.

Weather or not it's justified or not I could not really care less about.

Why is this death cult culture so popular these days?

I'm all for life.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

People would justify anything. That's what we do. We make up stories to justify irrational drives.
    Now I m not philosophically pro suicide as it is a choice that take away choice. So it's pretty much a self defeating strategy if one sees choice as a tool we have to define our evolution through life and identity. Which based on evidence to the contrary is all we have.

Then again I guess it's sad to say but at the end of the day if people want to die well. its up to them.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Death was probably a much huger part of primitive society though. Including all variations of it, I'd say. You're the historian, Lark....Our culture is very removed from death overall.

@Lark
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Death was probably a much huger part of primitive society though. Including all variations of it, I'd say. You're the historian, Lark....Our culture is very removed from death overall.

@Lark
    Well that could well be part of it Aphrodite, there's a lot more suicide now than ever there was.